Good idea for practicing conversational skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm

At least I think it would be a good idea. Many people on here have expressed concern over how to deal with certain parts of a conversation, about tone, about what's implied by voice, etc. It's easy to type them the answer but without hearing it and practicing it and having someone critique their practice, it's probably very hard to actually pick up.

My idea, and I have no idea how to do this, is some sort of a voice chat service. Something that could be staffed by volunteers. Maybe AS/ASD people who have mastered the skills, or NT's who are friendly to the cause. Make it free of course. I don't know if it would be best done by a toll free number, or some kind of voice chat online or what. I'm completely clueless about voice chat, and also not everyone has that.

It may not even be feasable, and may be entirely too expensive to set up and there may not be enough people who would be interested in volunteering for it or calling it, but it was an idea that I just had. Thought I'd throw it out there and see what others think of it. If one was around, I'd be happy to volunteer on it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

I think it could be a good idea (maybe using skype or something) and would help people out but I don't know how it could be set up.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:10 am

That sounds like a great idea but voice chat alone isn't enough, most people on the spectrum already have the context to express themselves, they lack the non verbal communication and in some cases we can come across as having trouble with words, I think it's easier to express something by writing as opposed to speaking.