Does perfume disgust you?
Yes 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 20

sunquan8094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2011, 6:49 pm

If you find this unusual, I'm not surprised. I get it a lot.

I dislike it when people use perfume and cologne, especially in excessive amounts. Occasionally, it will make me gag or distract me. I have tried requesting a ban of perfume in school, however, nothing ever happened after I did.

There was a girl in two of my classes that sat near me in both of them. She would put on excessive amounts of perfume that I could smell it from a yard away. I got tired of smelling her perfume, so one day, I made a gesture indicating that she stank, but she was not willing to change her habits. No matter what I did, from gagging in front of her to making a YouTube video on its negativity, she would not change.

To this day, she will not change. I feel I cannot tolerate it any longer. How do I get her to stop using it?

By the way, if you want to see the YouTube video I made about perfume, here it is:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9LE8nZjJkQ[/youtube]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:22 pm

I find it very nauseating when people do that.

TheCaityCat
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

I actually really love perfume, but only certain kinds. I don't like anything alcohol-based. All of my perfume comes from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, Possets or I Hate Perfume. It's all oil-based and I put it on lightly. I find that certain smells are really calming to me, so I wear them. I don't slather it on; I just put a bit on my wrists so I can sniff them when I feel like it.

People who use perfume as deodorant or bathe in it are just as stinky as smokers, if you ask me. Gross!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

I don't mind some scented products, but when someone bathes in it in a vain attempt to mask their "natural" odor it's just gross. A lot of public places I go to now have a ban on perfumes and junk because there are too many people with allergies or are sensitive. But there are a lot of housecleaning products that have smells I find nasty, like Lysol. I have a can of it at home but I hate to use it because I find it stinks worse than garbage or kitty litter or whatever. :)
It's also ironic that most brand-name household products that are supposed to sanitize your home and make it "safer" to live in are some of the most toxic substances in the world... 8O
I like anything food-scented, however. Vanilla, chocolate, apples, coconut...YUM! :D

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

BO is worse.. no BO + perfume is worse.
The base they put in lotions and conditioners irritates me a bit.
Over the top cologne/perfume is pretty annoying to me too.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:44 am

Can you change seats?

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jul 2011, 1:30 am

Ugh, definately agree about BO+perfume.

I don't think hating the smell is that unusual, I've heard that before. It's a subjective thing, personally I like the smell of certain colognes

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:57 am

TheCaityCat wrote:
I actually really love perfume, but only certain kinds. I don't like anything alcohol-based. All of my perfume comes from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, Possets or I Hate Perfume. It's all oil-based and I put it on lightly. I find that certain smells are really calming to me, so I wear them. I don't slather it on; I just put a bit on my wrists so I can sniff them when I feel like it.

People who use perfume as deodorant or bathe in it are just as stinky as smokers, if you ask me. Gross!

This says it all.

I did a short stint hawking perfume as a street vendor, but I learned a lot from it.

There are 4 types of "perfume." The cheapest is eau de toilet (toilet water). It's a perfume that uses alcohol as it's base. It evaporates quickly, needs a lot to have an effect, and commonly irritates nasal membranes and even cause skin rashes in some people.

The better quality is eau de parfum. These are oil based. You use very little, it lasts a long time (as you perspire you activate more of it), and it rarely irritates the skin or nasal membranes. Most all "perfumes" irritate me. Every product this company had did not bother me, regardless of if I liked the scent or not.

If I worked with someone who insisted on wearing offensive perfume, I would inquire about what they buy and what quality it is. If they are using the cheap stuff and it's available in the better quality, if they would agree to try the better stuff (using it sparingly), it would be a good way to see if it solves the problem.

People look at cost, but if you buy cheap stuff and use a lot of it, you usually are paying more over the long haul compared to buying the pricey stuff and using very little of it.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 5:24 am

I think most perfumes and colognes stink a lot, but there are a few which have very pleasurable smells to me.

The handle which I enjoy the smell are the following. I don't own any perfumes or colognes coz they are too expensive, I only like smelling them on an occasional basis:

Tommy Hilfiger Cologne (can't remember which subset)
Mariah Carey's M
Britney Spears' Fantasy
Chanel No. 5
Joop!

I love the smell of Cannabis, but unfortunately it is illegal for Political/Historical/Corporate reasons, so it would be dangerous for me to possess it just to smell its aroma. I noticed that there was a perfume that claimed to imitate the smell of Cannabis, but the reviews said that it didn't really smell like it, perhaps the "Upper Tone" but only for a few seconds.

identity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:53 am

I voted yes, although disgust is a little strong for exactly how I feel, dislike is more appropriate for me. I think the thought that it is actually harmful is one of the reasons I don't wear it or like people spraying them near me. I also feel the same about hairspray. I remember at school some people wold use perfumes or boys would use body sprays and I used to really hate that, it made me feel like I couldn't breathe. I agree with Lostonearth35 about household cleaners aswell; I hate the smell of bleach and some oven cleaners are just evil.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

theres a particular male cologne that i'd recognise from a mile away and it makes me gag

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

I also dislike when people use too much. That male body wash with the added imitation male scent I'll never understand. What happened too just being clean? I remember a boy in high school, I swore used Johnson's baby shampoo, it was nice.