Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

I feel like everywhere I turn, there are people doing things I know they would never put up with. It's always I can, but you can't. It's always "I'll be a total idiot and give you s**** but you do anything back, and I'll hate you forever." Seriously, does anyone else see this? I might be sensitive, but it feels like it's everywhere.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:28 pm

Because the world is full of stupid as*holes.

Someone should have given you the memo by now.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

^ This.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm

People are imperfect. We all are. It can be hard, but the only way to deal with this is to focus on people's positive qualities and to forget their negatives. If a person has ten bad qualities and one good quality, focus on the one. Loving people and being happy can only come about when we see only that which is worthy of praise in a person.

Here's a story about Jesus which illustrates this: -

"It happened one day in the time of Christ--may the life of the world be a sacrifice unto Him--that He passed by the dead body of a dog, a carcass reeking, hideous, the limbs rotting away. One of those present said: `How foul its stench!' And another said: `How sickening! How loathsome!' To be brief, each one of them had something to add to the list.
But then Christ Himself spoke, and He told them: `Look at that dog's teeth! How gleaming white!'
The Messiah's sin-covering gaze did not for a moment dwell upon the repulsiveness of that carrion. The one element of that dead dog's carcass which was not abomination was the teeth: and Jesus looked upon their brightness.
Thus is it incumbent upon us, when we direct our gaze toward other people, to see where they excel, not where they fail."

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

Human nature. We are too short sighted and easily tempted to stick to our principles all the time.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Human nature. We are too short sighted and easily tempted to stick to our principles all the time.

Not everyone is like that.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

kouzoku wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Not everyone is like that.
Well obviously not, but it's a rule of thumb. It's reasonable to see this as a part of human nature since we are conflicted beings. If you really want to get down to details though, we are all hypocrites to some extent but for those who are huge hypocrites, they are just manifesting our nature to a more extreme extent.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

I am also curious about this behaviour. To me, if it's really a principle, I can't possibly go against it. Sometimes though, I change my mind about something because of what I've learned, and then I explain the change and why my way of thinking has changed. I realize everyone is different and thinks in different ways.

How can someone have integrity if they go against their principals? How can you believe anything they say?

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

One stupid person can make the rest of us look stupid. Easy.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Thinking makes people uncomfortable. It brings up issues that cause fear or sadness. So they avoid it. Avoiding it though makes them less likely to think in general. That becomes a pattern leading to not being able to see when you are being hypocritical.

Also, society in general is not particularly encouraging for being pensive. 15 second commercials, busy-busy-busy lives.

I don't know. That's my opinion.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

haruka wrote:
Thinking makes people uncomfortable. It brings up issues that cause fear or sadness. So they avoid it. Avoiding it though makes them less likely to think in general. That becomes a pattern leading to not being able to see when you are being hypocritical.

That's what I suspect. Nobody wants to get serious about their own behavior. They don't have the discipline to stop and get real, so they just excuse themselves and prance off, hoping others won't notice their rudeness.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 12:15 am

Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent. It's just part of human nature.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 3:45 am

Jory wrote:
Because the world is full of stupid as*holes.

Someone should have given you the memo by now.

This

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 3:58 am

SammichEater wrote:
Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent. It's just part of human nature.

Especially people like me, the mentally unstable kind. :lol:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

It's just dumb when they don't accept the responsibility when someone tells them.

I know I've been hypocritical in my life, but that's human nature.
At what points, I don't know.
However, when someone gives specific evidence against me about it, I try to face up to it.
When other people do though, sometimes they won't.
That's what makes me angry.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

I dont know, I feel like being hypocritical is not a personality trait at all. People have a lot of dimensions to themselves so one person could interpret something as being hypocritical but in reality it is not. People do and say certain things for a reason and if you can see that and understand it then the thought of a person being hypocritical will not be there. Its an idiot notion really. But it can be used as a weapon in many scenarios, which can be BS and can not be. If you know how to deal with it then it is not, if you can't then it is.