Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

Have any of you ever felt (or been told) that you have a chip on your shoulder?

I've been told that many times.

There are times when I can say that this feeling is justified, especially when a teacher is treating me badly.

https://dwarren57.wordpress.com/2016/01 ... -shoulder/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 9:04 pm

Knock this battery off my shoulder----I dare you! (a paraphrase of Robert Conrad doing a battery commercial).

A person with a chip on his/her shoulder always dares people to knock the battery off the shoulder, or dares the person to step over a certain line.

I am the type of person that likes to knock the chip OFF the person's shoulder---by accentuating the good, the optimistic.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 2:48 pm

I am glad you try to see the good in people. I was trying to convey that not everyone is going to think of our differences as good. How they react to and cope with people like that can result in either good or bad consequences.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Knock this battery off my shoulder----I dare you! (a paraphrase of Robert Conrad doing a battery commercial).

A person with a chip on his/her shoulder always dares people to knock the battery off the shoulder, or dares the person to step over a certain line.

I am the type of person that likes to knock the chip OFF the person's shoulder---by accentuating the good, the optimistic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

To be frank, I've learned not to really care what other people think of me---unless I'm hurting them or hindering them in some way.

I really believe that people respect differences....as long as the person with the differences "sticks to his/her guns." As long as you listen to other people when they speak to you. And show respect in other ways.

MCHB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

That's a lesson that I'm still trying to learn

d057
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:12 pm

What lesson? That Asperger's is not an excuse for lack of social conduct?

MCHB wrote:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:29 pm

You don't have to be stymied by your Asperger's.

People with Asperger's have the ability to learn--so they could get better at social things throughout their lives.

I've gotten much better over the years through making an effort sometimes (yes...only when I felt like it! :P )

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

If this is the definition, then I have one for sure.

MCHB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2016, 11:45 am

d057 wrote:

MCHB wrote:

Not worrying about what people think of me. I overthink; mindread I guess would be the psychological term. In example, I make a mistake and think people are judging me for it, or think I'm stupid because of it. Alternatively, if someone does something or says something about me behind my back, I hold a grudge. I'm bad for that! Clear as mud?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 2:49 pm

I have the tendency to overthink things at times too. It is hard not to worry about what others think, especially when you know they are unhappy about the fact that you are not like them.

MCHB wrote:
d057 wrote:

MCHB wrote:

Not worrying about what people think of me. I overthink; mindread I guess would be the psychological term. In example, I make a mistake and think people are judging me for it, or think I'm stupid because of it. Alternatively, if someone does something or says something about me behind my back, I hold a grudge. I'm bad for that! Clear as mud?