Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

When I'm at school and I see a classmate for the first time that day, I like to silently greet them without actually saying anything. I think to myself: "Hi so-and-so. You look nice today." Or: "Hello person. Are those clothes new?" But of course I never speak to them out loud if they don't speak first. Socializing that way would strike fear into my heart.

Anyone else do this, or something similar?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:50 pm

Gosh, that’s me! I always like to think what I would say to people, if I had the confidence/skills to say it. Initiating the first interaction is way too hard!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2017, 7:55 am

Grrr, it's so very frustrating. It's now a goal of mine to actually speak the thing out loud to the other person, but it often just plays over and over in my head and it's like there's a block that prevents me from saying it out loud. Sometimes I am able to overcome it but it's very difficult for some reason!

However, at least for me, I figure it's probably better to err on the side of caution rather than being TOO impulsive when speaking, because saying something inappropriate can have worse repercussions than not saying something nice... it's a balance i guess...

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Grrr, it's so very frustrating. It's now a goal of mine to actually speak the thing out loud to the other person, but it often just plays over and over in my head and it's like there's a block that prevents me from saying it out loud. Sometimes I am able to overcome it but it's very difficult for some reason!

Oh my goodness, same here!! Even with people I know well, it still happens!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm

Yes, I do the same, and I will rarely be the initiator of a conversation/interaction. I, always smile if my eyes catch other's eyes, however, which just happens, naturally.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 1:44 pm

Yep....all the time.

I've gotten less shy over the years----but I used to be quite shy when I was younger.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm

I never start a conversation with people, but I reply if they talk to me first.

I do this now and again but not every time.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 2:14 pm

coalminer wrote:
When I'm at school and I see a classmate for the first time that day, I like to silently greet them without actually saying anything. I think to myself: "Hi so-and-so. You look nice today." Or: "Hello person. Are those clothes new?" But of course I never speak to them out loud if they don't speak first. Socializing that way would strike fear into my heart.

Anyone else do this, or something similar?

I'm exactly the same. I say these things in my head, but if the other person doesn't say anything, I can't force my vocal cords into action no matter how hard I try.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 4:19 pm

Yes and especially people who I am not on good terms with. In my head, the relationships are always nice.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

Yep, I spend an age practising in my head what I'm going to say, trying all the different combinations of words and tone of voice, and then; "Oh, where did they go?"

If I'm not doing that, I'm imagining a conversation I think I should have had after the person has gone (sometimes things from years and years ago.)

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 9:11 am

Sometimes, though most of the time I find myself wanting to verbally say hi, but for whatever reason being anxious to do so and either awkwardly doing so or not doing it at all, or I'll get a wave in there. This is especially true when I encounter someone I know unexpectedly when I am out.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 9:33 am

Yes, I do that. Nice to know it's normal... WP normal at least... that's good enough for me.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 10:05 am

No, I can't say that I've ever experienced that problem before.

There's not enough room in my head for people to climb in there.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 12:44 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Yep, I spend an age practising in my head what I'm going to say, trying all the different combinations of words and tone of voice, and then; "Oh, where did they go?"

If I'm not doing that, I'm imagining a conversation I think I should have had after the person has gone (sometimes things from years and years ago.)

I know! Same here!

300series
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:17 pm

I always do this. I only say "hi" to people if they greet me first; I am terrified to say "hi" to any one. Even when there is a person that I want to talk to, I still can not do it. I have been told to say "hi" to other people at my job before they do it, but I still do not have the courage to take the initiative.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 9:10 pm

Yes, I do that all the time!