Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 4:25 am

When I was 18 I was pretty anti-social. Hours indoors on my computers, few friends, terrible hygiene. Then, during the summer, one of my best friends (also AS but decidedly more social) pretty much dragged me to the Green (large open park like area in Bar Harbor, Maine). During the summer, many different people come there. At first I hated it. I was outdoors, I didn't know anyone, or how to handle situations that came up. But slowly I began to like it, I spent more time there, I made friends and even hung out with new people on my own. Later that summer I spent three weeks at an Intentional Community called Twin Oaks (http://www.twinoaks.org/). Basically it was 100ish people living 95% self sustained in a communist-esque society (the right kind of communism...). Overall I had a great time though not without challenges. As a visitor you spend the three weeks with 7 other people in a dorm like building (house with many rooms). Socially it was a major challenge but I learned so much during my time there. I honestly think these two things (the Green and TO) are two major reasons I can now walk into a room full of people I don't know, make full I contact, carry on a full conversation with multiple people, and not explode later. I would highly recommend having an experience like that to anyone who wants to learn how to interact better with people and also learn a few things about themselves.

Granted, I still have my problems, say the wrongs things at the wrong times, make plenty of mistakes, and am down right weird. However now I am not longer afraid of trying to meet new people and friends and get out of my shell.

Anyone else have a story about going from shut-in to social?