Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

it's a popularity contest! I hate Nts and there stupid propaganda! as a result I deleted my account, Nobody talks to me on it! All the stupid statuses posted by so called friends, And when i post something I get no likes no comments nothing! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:26 am

I felt like I wasn't really able to connect with people and have a real discussion. This may be just because of the Wall Post format. It felt like having a conversation by using Post It Notes.

So I dropped it over a year ago.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 5:01 am

It depends on who your friends are. I like facebook because people post planned events, and rather than guessing a friend's birthday they'll have the date and party time listed so I can book it off work to go see them. There are no popularity contests between me and my friends. All of us are adults and a lot of my friends post pictures of their children or trips they went on. It's nice to see stuff like that so when I do get to see them I don't feel like I don't know them anymore because of limited contact. When your an adult you don't often get friend time, and friendships can become lost between other responsibilities.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:47 am

Try friending people from WP.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2011, 11:33 am

I deleted mine but because I got tired of people saying shallow things like song quotes and then thinking they are making some kind of secret message about me so I got paranoid and deleted it... it's a facade of having a social network though. I found out through deleting it, I basically have 0 friends irl.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

i've never had a facebook. my secretive side doesn't like it. and i hate the way people can post photos of you for some reason. plus i have aquaintences but not many friends, and the ones i do vaguely have would probably lose interest once they realised how little others i had and how lame my life is.
it is completely unappealing to me

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

I only made a facebook account because my family urged me to get one. I only go on it when I recieve a notification that one of my relatives wants to "friend" me or when I'm told there's some family gathering and I'm required to respond to an invitation via facebook.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

I only got a facebook because a friend that lives in a different state that I only see once a year wanted me to get one to keep in touch. I don't even post on it much. I only have 5 people on it and except for one they are people I know in real life.

I also don't and won't use my real name on Facebook and don't know how anyone else can even do that. It's a violation of privacy and dangerous.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

I use Facebook, but not with my real face, and I just post pointless things. There is no reason for me to go on it, I just can't help it! :x

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

I'm thinking about shutting mine down completely. Most of my so-called "friends" on there just use FB to brag about everything they have and then if I try to talk to them I get ignored. The only reason I still have my FB account activated is because a forum that I used to post at had basically the whole group move to FB, so I talk to a few of them sometimes (it's related to one of my special interests). Other than that, there's no reason for me to have an FB.

Chibs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

I use it because I'm bored, and like posting funny pictures and silly things like "the 7 friends to your left" statuses. It's also a good place for keeping track of events and birthdays.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

I guess I'm going to be singled out for this, but honestly guys I LIKE Facebook, and I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I also don't think other Aspies can't benefit from it like NTs seem to.

I personally do not feel the desire to tweet or text every single detail of my life for other people to 8O awe upon. I do how ever enjoy taking photos of my friends and I experiencing meaningful moments. For instance I'm a total nerd and music lover. I like going to concerts and comic conventions. It's not something that I get to do a lot mind you and I don't often get to go to fun events with most of my friends. So when my friends post pictures of stuff like that, that they went to then I sorta get to see what I missed, it's not in a negative context it's just cool that I didn't completely miss that moment. A few cool pictures and a few good stories are nice to hear from friends. I like to post my own stories and photos of things that are special or meaningful. It's like having a documentary of some of the best times in my life. I'm not going to be in my 20s forever and I'll eventually be able to look back on those parts of my life in some detail. I also suffer from severe memory problems the strongest part of my working memory is limited to being visual so when I'm having a depressive episode I can at least look back on some of the photo's of good times in my life to try and snap myself out of it. I do become extremely isolated and pessimistic, but I find that's where face book helps. I also have friends extremely long distances some of which are Aspies.

Now to all those paranoid people. I'm a schizo I do get paranoid about the government watching me/coming after me, but there's a point that you have to realize there are like more than 6,840,507,000 people on this planet. As far as privacy goes I don't even think it exists or that it even matters anymore. The only real problem with Facebook privacy is watching what you post. You can choose the privacy settings, you can pick your friends, and you can chose to post appropriate material/only stuff your comfortable with. If I added my boss to Facebook and he didn't like something about me on my profile than maybe I shouldn't be working for a person like that. Although I've fully disclosed many things with my boss like my Aspergers/schizo affective, religious preferences, recreational activities, and you know what he really doesn't care in fact he even considers me a friend and a hard worker. I noticed that he doesn't have a Face book because his generation didn't grow up with it so he's not very interested. I also noticed that men seem to hate facebook more than women. This isn't a fact it's an observation of people I know. I think I'd be neat if we did a poll.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 7:38 pm

I understand why Facebook would be enjoyable for people who actually have friends.

For me, I am just a distant watcher on fb, I don't much engage in it and with the 'friends' there.

For loners, it may be depressing at times, seeing all these people going socially forward.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I understand why Facebook would be enjoyable for people who actually have friends.

Well, don't be on Facespace then. Stay here, you know, with your real friends.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm

I don't like Facebook very much. I've deactivated, and reactivated my account probably like four or five times now. I reactivated it again after my last relationship ended to reconnect with women I hadn't been "allowed" to talk to for a few years, along with friends, family and acquaintances. I mostly just post silly things here and there and get an occasional invite to something. Lately I have been thinking of getting rid of it again as I find the changes they instituted allow even less privacy than before.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

If I ever get a facebook, I will not use it.