Really want to have fun and hang out with friends, but....

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RockMaster0421
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

but I just don't wanna get crazy at a bar, or get involved in any insane parties. And I REALLY don't wanna to be like staying up all night, or possibly miss a class.

All I wanna do is just chill and hang out with buds (male or female), watch some tv or movies, play some video games, maybe go to a bar and have some fun (while not going "crazy"), or perhaps even go to a party (one that doesn't require me to drink like crazy or do anything stupid)

Anyone else have this problem? Have any ideas on how to work around this?

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2012, 5:55 am

Depends on who you make friends with. Some groups are much more responsible than others. If you've become decent friends with someone and are going to hang out, its probably best to ask about their recreational interests before you actually go out with them. Since you're in school, I would imagine there's got to be other kids who are worried about doing well and will be understanding of not wanting to get crazy the night before a class.

I have had to deal with dilemma frequently. Since I live w/ someone who does like to stay out late and beinge drink into the wee hours, if I have a class/work/etc early the next day I try to let them know while they're still sober and pardon myself from everyone else when its time for me to settle in. Not that I can sleep with people being loud in the next room, but at least I dont have a hangover the next day. Also, some people aren't big drinkers or are the more responsible sort like yourself. Hopefully you can hang out with some like-minded folk and avoid some of the issues that way.

vickypollard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2012, 9:58 am

Just say so. Most of my friends prefer staying at home/watching a film/all the things you described over going to a club, but if they want to go and you don't, say so and maybe you can work something out. Or you could just stay home-- they're not going to dislike you for not coming with them if they're real friends.

I've been going to clubs occasionally (once a month or less, when I was still in high school I only went to the parties the school organised in clubs) since I was fourteen; I don't drink alcohol and I've always had a good time. I'm lucky to have friends who don't drink either or who would never force me to do anything I don't agree with. You can have just as much fun sober as you can drunk-- in fact I love being with drunk friends as they're honest and funny.
I've found house parties to be the best kind of party; anyone can put on their own music, you aren't expected to get drunk and there are usually only people you know or have met before.