Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Calcifer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

So, I'm new on here. :D
This is my first topic.
So, say that I met someone, and I talked to them once or twice—I'm not sure on the protocol of seeing them in the halls. Should I say hi to them, even if I just talked to them once or twice? When do I say hi, or do I not say it at all, or am I being rude if I don't?
Also, when I see someone across the hall and they see me, I don't know what to do. I don't know if I say hi right when I see them or if they get closer. Or if I should ignore them until they're close enough to pass by, then say hi.

I hope I explained this right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

I don't know either.

My tactic, when I see someone I recognize, is to look completely clueless and lost in my own thoughts, and nod very lightly when we get nearer. That way, if they reciprocate, it was okay; if they don't, well, I didn't commit myself to anything. Besides, I generally am lost in my thoughts to start with, so it isn't a big act.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Providing a look in their general direction with a slight smile is usually okay.

Try to assess how well you got along with the other person...if your interaction went well, feel free to slightly smile and wave.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm

This has been a challenge to me. But, I think that so many people are used to even strangers saying hi to them, that it is fine to say hi to someone as long as they are in your vicinity. It kind of makes you seem friendly. You don't want to hesitate too long though saying hi.

Just my personal opinion.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 12:13 am

One thing that is acceptable for guys to do is a head nod. If you know someone well or if you are only acquaintances, don't think that would work for girls though

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 4:26 am

This is something I still struggle with a lot. I have found though that a more aggressive approach is usually the best in this situation though. What I mean by that is, if you have talked to someone once or twice, and you see them again, by all means say hello to them and perhaps try to start up a conversation. I've found that people seem to expect this, and have responded better when I've done it than when I haven't. If you're just passing by them in a hall then I'd say wait until you're within speaking distance and just say a quick "Hi, how are you?" as you pass.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2012, 5:10 am

I, like everyone else whose posted before me, am not entirely sure. However, one must tread carefully in this terrain as one wrong facial expression can make someone turn on you. I've had many people tell me stories about someone not reacting properly to their response and being weirded out or they grow a dislike for that individual.

So, what I propose as a safety protocol is to smile in their general direction. Or, you can do a "subtle" wave, close to your body so if they dont notice/respond to you its not awkward and if they do look at you at the last moment you still appear hospitable. I've accidentally called out "hi" or "hello" only for them not to hear me, ignore me, or be caught off guard.

Soo much strategy involved for such a small gesture!