Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 4:14 am

Just had a go at the Aspie Quiz, and this question got me thinking:

"Do you tend to say things that are considered socially inappropriate when you are tired, frustrated or when you act naturally?"

I hardly ever say socially inappropriate things, though I think them a lot. I nearly always check myself and know not to say my thoughts out loud. If I 'acted naturally', I would most certainly say non-PC things. So I was thinking, am I ALWAYS acting unnaturally? And really, isn't everyone? Surely everyone has things they want to say but don't because of the reactions of others...on a fairly regular basis.

So what does it really mean to 'act naturally'--is it even possible?

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2012, 6:01 am

It think it means ...
"could you say things that are considered socially inappropriate when you are not thinking."

Quote:
I nearly always check myself and know not to say my thoughts out loud.

And if you didn't then you would be "acting naturally" in the sense of that particular question.

So
Quote:
"Do you tend to say things that are considered socially inappropriate when you are tired, frustrated or when you act naturally?"

should be interpreted as
Quote:
"Would you say things that are considered socially inappropriate if you were not to consciously check yourself and think about the consequences your thoughts out loud

I think most NTs as well as Aspies would result in socially inappropriate comments.

So, my conclusion: The test had a badly-worded question.

Maybe they are trying to probe the sense social awareness and reciprocity , or lack of it, in order to score an aspie point.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:53 pm

"act naturally" is a ridiculous oxymoron

And unless you were raised by wolves, you have been socialized from birth to act against your nature in order to conform to the demands of society.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:02 pm

I know a guy who isnt always aware that he should check his thoughts before talking, so not everyone does this :)
Ive always been good at it, especially since its hard to say the wrong thing if you arnt talking.

For me to act naturally is to be in a state where im social but relaxed, its easy around my friends but at times tricky with strangers, but when it happens i feel like now im acting without having to consider everything, and doubt what i say. that feels natural.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 11:05 am

HD3H wrote:
I know a guy who isnt always aware that he should check his thoughts before talking, so not everyone does this :)

I always check my thoughts, and they always look fine to me. The problem is that not everyone agrees with my assessment.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2012, 1:37 am

I've said things I don't mean and regret trying to front. I've giving up on being cool now and that pressure being lifted helps me to speak truthfully, also helps prevent brown nosing in an attempt to make new friends. As far as trying to act normal, I don't know what normal is. I was homeschooled and isolated even in that respect scoially. Don't know and don't really care.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 3:01 am

NicoleG wrote:

And unless you were raised by wolves, you have been socialized from birth to act against your nature in order to conform to the demands of society.

I think it has to be understood as "not actively restraning yourself from hypothetical inappropriate behaviours", as during a job interview.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 1:11 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
NicoleG wrote:

I think it has to be understood as "not actively restraning yourself from hypothetical inappropriate behaviours", as during a job interview.

I was being a little facetious. Sorry if that didn't come through.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 1:33 pm

Maybe it means how you usually act or it could also mean acting like a neurotypical.