Page 1 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 8:14 am

(I know I will probably get a lot of comments for this one)

That's something I've been trying to do for years (mostly when I was younger) and it has always failed for me, but I'll probably stop doing that for good.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 8:47 am

I don't think any Aspie could affect the behaviour and mannerisms of an NT without being conspicuous. I've certainly never tried it.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 Jun 2008, 9:00 am

I've tried in the past but only got more ridicule and was told that I was "trying too hard". :roll:

treeheart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2008, 9:00 am

we may try to act NT but when it comes down to it we can't be NT becasue we arn't NT...plain as that.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2008, 9:19 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I've tried in the past but only got more ridicule and was told that I was "trying too hard". :roll:

BINGO!! ! Exactly my situation. However, my boss is doing an amazing job trying to mainstream me into the department. She is pursuing the idea of me being thought of as a courteous, valued team member where it's known that socializing is beyond my ability. Now no one takes it personally.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 9:30 am

What the hell is wrong with "acting" NT? In my honest opinion, learning social skills is a good thing.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Rowen

01 Jun 2008, 9:36 am

I've been trying to act NT my entire life and was always told by NT's I was ahem "different''. I realize that it's impossible, just like pounding a square peg into a round whole.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 9:41 am

I've read articles and taken courses on social skills. I could pass as a NT when talking to them.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

dudeofthedead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2008, 10:02 am

I've always tried to behave like an NT; I realized when I was pretty young that I was different and I had to act like everyone else to avoid unfavorable reactions. Now I'm not exactly sure how to act like an aspie, or rather, how to ALLOW myself to be an aspie. :?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:22 am

Rowen wrote:
I realize that it's impossible, just like pounding a square peg into a round whole.

You can do it with a really big hammer. I mean OMFG big.

And I've gotten that same response from people: *you're trying to hard* Meh. I now just introduce myself: *I'm Kip. I drive most people nuts. How are you?* It at least gets a laugh and sometimes gets them to hang around a bit longer than it takes to come up with the weird label.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:31 am

roygerdodger wrote:
(I know I will probably get a lot of comments for this one)

That's something I've been trying to do for years (mostly when I was younger) and it has always failed for me, but I'll probably stop doing that for good.

I've even tried to act aspie, too (I'll explain later) and I guess that means I'm not really NT or an aspie, just plain autistic.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:40 am

Only every day.

nodirectionhome
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2008, 11:20 am

I try to act NT, but I guess I've only really gotten it to where I know how to respond normally to some of those conversation things like "how are you?". But I think I'm doing better with social interaction in general now that I've started taking meds, because they help me with my social anxiety.

"Instead of attributing all difficulties in communication to the autistic person's inability to speak your language, why not embark on the adventure of working with the autistic person to learn to understand each other's languages?"
-Jim Sincla

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 11:23 am

As a kid I didn't find too many difficulties other than being the odd one out. But in high school I really tried to be NT and fit in...I guess I tried too hard because I failed miserably and that's when I decided something was up...later I got the diagnosis. And now I could care less about trying to be NT.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:05 pm

What exactly is 'acting NT'? Is that greeting people with a smile and making eye contact, at least breifly to acknowledge someone's presence? Is it making pointless and idle small talk about the weather to avoid the uncomfortable silences of having co workers think you're intentionally and rudely ignoring them? If that's what you mean, I can take it or leave it, but I understand the value of these behaviors when it comes to things like keeping your job and being able to get cooperation from others when you need it.

On the other hand, if you're talking about constantly gossiping and scheming for status and power position and glibly complimenting others with false praise and flattery to curry favor, as if life were an experiment in Machiavellian chess tactics, then no. I'm not even remotely capable of that. If I tried to behave that way, even for a minute, my head would explode.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:47 pm

Most of the older Aspies I think would say they act NT or do their best to every day. If you are going to ever make anything of yourself and be self sufficient you have to learn to do that. But I see its teenagers asking the question so might I suggest when you emulate people emulate respectable adults and not other teenagers. I learned by emulating teachers and other leaders I respected. I still do that as a 39yo adult and currently model my OT because I think she knows how to act right and people like her.

There is much truth to the saying "Fake it till you make it."