Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

Do you think this is a strange thing to say when the person you're talking to is leaving and you won't be seeing them for awhile, or you're leaving them?

I say this to people sometimes, trying to do it more often, because people really seem to be thrown off by it and become happier when I say it. But it just seems odd to say. "Okay bye "NAME HERE", Have a nice day.""... Sounds demanding almost. That's probably my nagging literal Autistic mind coming out. But some people seem to have their mood so uplifted when I say it. What do you guys think of "Have a nice day".

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm

I don't use the phrase myself and often find it amusing when people do. When they tell me that, my mind goes into hyperdrive.

If I was on my way to a job I didn't like, and someone said, "Have A Nice Day," my response should be, "I would if my boss quit" but I usually remain quiet.

Sometimes when people say that, I'm thinking, "A nice day is actually out of my hands because of the people who I'm about to meet, or the things I'm about to do, that can drive me crazy."

Can you actually tell someone to have a nice day? Can you guarantee that? That's impossible. There are too many factors that can come along to make sure that doesn't happen so it's a phrase I avoid all the time.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:12 pm

NT's seem to like it though. I believe they may see it as wishing them a nice day, without saying "I wish you/hope you have a nice day". haha... Sometimes I feel like just saying that instead but it would probably come off as weird, although, maybe it's worth a try. It might be different but refreshing either way.

When someone says to me "have a nice day", I usually just say thanks. From most people I don't get the idea that they really mean it, it's more along the lines of manners they are taught to say.

I try to look the person in the eyes, have a bit of a smile, and say "Have a nice day" with some truth behind it.

redrobin62 wrote:
I don't use the phrase myself and often find it amusing when people do. When they tell me that, my mind goes into hyperdrive.

If I was on my way to a job I didn't like, and someone said, "Have A Nice Day," my response should be, "I would if my boss quit" but I usually remain quiet.

Sometimes when people say that, I'm thinking, "A nice day is actually out of my hands because of the people who I'm about to meet, or the things I'm about to do, that can drive me crazy."

Can you actually tell someone to have a nice day? Can you guarantee that? That's impossible. There are too many factors that can come along to make sure that doesn't happen so it's a phrase I avoid all the time.

Last edited by Pondering on 18 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm

I find that specific phrase a little too cliche and strange-sounding, but I will sometimes say "enjoy the rest of your day" or "hope you have a great afternoon" or something similar.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:19 pm

I like the way these sound. I'll have to try them out on some people soon. I feel like "Have a nice day" has been working, but I will try to find a good time for one or both of these as well.

yellowtamarin wrote:
I find that specific phrase a little too cliche and strange-sounding, but I will sometimes say "enjoy the rest of your day" or "hope you have a great afternoon" or something similar.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:55 pm

I used to have a sticker above my alarm clock that read, "Don't tell ME what kind of a DAY to have!"

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2013, 11:55 pm

I rarely use it. But, I do say to customers "have a good day." It's basically short for "I hope the rest of your day will be good one for you."
It makes people happy.
Perhaps we should say farewell instead.

Shikari
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 8:19 am

Pondering wrote:
NT's seem to like it though. I believe they may see it as wishing them a nice day, without saying "I wish you/hope you have a nice day". haha... Sometimes I feel like just saying that instead but it would probably come off as weird, although, maybe it's worth a try. It might be different but refreshing either way.

When someone says to me "have a nice day", I usually just say thanks. From most people I don't get the idea that they really mean it, it's more along the lines of manners they are taught to say.

I try to look the person in the eyes, have a bit of a smile, and say "Have a nice day" with some truth behind it.

I'm NT, and it does mean that you hope the other person has a nice day. It's just implied that that is what it is suppose to mean. I usually say "have a good one", or something similar to that. It is meant to demeaning in anyway unless they are trying to be sarcastic about it.
I'm always uplifted when people say things like that to me, or even a simple smile goes a long way. Good manners are kind of rare it seems today, and just because someone is taught good manners doesn't mean they will ever use them. I'm uplifted because of the acknowledgement and of the simple kindness, and sometimes if can even turn my whole day around. It's the little things that matter the most I think sometimes.

Last edited by Shikari on 19 Oct 2013, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2013, 9:39 am

I see it as some form of courtesy.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 1:47 pm

It's the short form for "I wish you (have) a nice day", so some here are misinterpreting the meaning; it's not an imperative. It's an American invention that has been adopted internationally. I actually like it, I find it indeed lifts people's spirits and mine as well. I make a point, though, to adapt it according to the time of day. I don't like it when people tell me "have a nice day" in the evening, for example. In the afternoon, I'll say "have a nice evening" for example. It's more meaningful rather than a cold formalism that way.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

^ ^ +1

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 6:59 pm

So is it the sentiment being expressed that people are objecting to here, or the fact that "Have a nice day" sounds a little cliched?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ReiAime
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

I'm sure NTs don't have a problem with it, but I do think it would sound overly formal if said to friends or close relatives....unless they are on their way to work or school or something. I actually say it to my mom when she leaves the house. Well, maybe it sounds more appropriate when said to relatives. Maybe it's just me? But I would feel like I was reenacting a retail job situation if I said it to a friend for some reason.

Your Aspie score: 183 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 27 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

In most cases I regard it to be a form of communicating respect, peace, and tranquility. A common courtesy, but not always.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 12:21 am

I also wish people a wonderful weekend, especially customers and co-workers. I find it lifts people's spirits immediately when they're reminded, in the midst of hard work, that today is Friday.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2013, 4:25 am

I work at a McDonald's, so I hear this a lot; most of my co-workers sound lacking in sincerity when they say it, and it irks me.
I think it's encouraged as part of the training so they feel like they have to say it all the time, even when their mood doesn't really suit. That needs to change.