Has anyone changed there monotone voice?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Has anyone changed there monotone voice?
No, my voice has always been monotone for the most part. 49%  49%  [ 40 ]
My voice has NEVER been monotone. 28%  28%  [ 23 ]
Yes, my voice used to be monotone but then it changed. 23%  23%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 82

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 7:29 pm

I don't have a monotone voice unless I'm feeling really down in the dumps. Otherwise, my voice is just fine.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2007, 3:37 pm

I've never had an even slightly monotonous voice. In fact, my voice is so naturally loud and clear that people often accuse me of shouting - when I'm not.

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2007, 11:08 am

I don't have a monotone voice although people say that I mumble when I talk or that my voice is too low for them to hear

ErbyDerby
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2014, 7:33 pm

I definitely have a monotone voice and always have. I believe that aspies tend to have a monotone voice because the visual part of the brain develops a lot faster than the language part of the brain in those who have asperger's syndrome.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 8:53 pm

Used to, but over the years after being put in many social situations, that has of course died out. :)

LifeHiker
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2014, 2:45 am

I think this is a big part of what contributes to my awkwardness in social settings. Many people tell me they can't read me and that I don't open up though I try to be animated. When I watch myself in a video or in the mirror my emotions are definitely very subtle to not there. I have to tell myself to put emotions on my face or to exaggerate expressions and intonations.

I too have a tendency to mumble/speak quietly and especially slowly. I think I am speaking at a normal pace but then many people interrupt me half way through a thought and it is very frustrating. That contributes to me shutting down and closing myself off. Does anyone else have this issue of 'slowness of speach' per se?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

We're all cursed with monotone voices, aren't we? I find that if I tell stories or recall emotional events, I can show passion in my voice but if it's something formal, I usually talk like a robot and that's been pointed out to me on my practice job interviews.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

I am naturally monotone, I think it's partly to do with me being from Manchester though (or so I've been told).

However, I've mainly always worked on the phones. I did chat line and Tarot reading for a few years and now I'm in telecommunications, so I do try to add a bit of character to my voice.

I can do accents too so that helps.

But yes I do have a monotone voice, when I'm just being plain old me.

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2014, 2:03 am

I used to have a monotone voice, but it went away with time. its one of the first things i 'fixed'
I'm not sure how it changed but nowadays i can make my voice do anything i want, everything but monotone. I don't know how to do that anymore.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 2:44 am

No.

I can drop the monotone when it suits me. My voice is offensive (to me) if not kept within certain parameters, pitch and volume need to be controlled unless changing them has a purpose.

Having said that, people don't usually complain about the monotone. I am often described as softly spoken or too quiet.

LifeHiker
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
We're all cursed with monotone voices, aren't we? I find that if I tell stories or recall emotional events, I can show passion in my voice but if it's something formal, I usually talk like a robot and that's been pointed out to me on my practice job interviews.

Maybe this is a tangent but on the story telling/recalling events side of things are you guys good at that? I don't know if it is my lack of emotion/monotone voice or just not knowing how to tell stories but I am bad at it! It helps to have someone around who was with me at the time and I can try to get excited about the event and tell a little about it then pas it off to them to tell the whole story.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 7:19 am

I don't have a monotone voice when talking to my family or outsiders I feel very comfortable with. But with some people, I find myself speaking in monotone, and I know that it is due to nerves. I don't speak in a robotic type of monotone, I speak in more of a nervous monotone, and with some people I am afraid to add too much emotion to my voice in case I sound snappy or something. I especially speak in monotone with people who I'm a nervous of, like those patronizing types or people that are more intelligent than me.

I try my hardest to try not to feel and sound nervous in front of people, but I do. I don't know what to do about it. It does make me feel isolated at times.

capri0112
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2014, 2:46 pm

I've never had a monotone voice, per se.

The difficulties I've had (and occasionally still have) with my voice are more about how I
will talk too soft or, less often, too loud...without realizing it.

I don't have this problem as much as I used to. I guess it's because I've become more "experienced" with how to appropriately modulate my voice. But that skill still doesn't come very naturally, and I still have to be vigilant about it.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

I don't really know if my voice ever was predominantly "monotone," but I do tend to talk in a monotone voice when I'm really angry or melting down. If I were to describe how my voice currently sounds, I'd say it sort of has a halting, sort of high-pitched childlike quality, even though I'm 22 now.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

I was apparently talking either too soft or too loud when I was a lil' girl but music changed that. I reformed my voice by adding a hint of a melody and giving it the strength of the emotions within me. I started with songs and then progressed to sentences. I still "murmur" sometimes but if I'm in the mood, I can easily control my voice. It's pretty cool.

Moo approves!

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 2:01 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I do have a monotone voice but hearing NTs talking to each other is doing the trick.
Usually, my voice bounces on the mid-low register. :P

^this.

Now that I force myself to listen to every single word that someone is saying (as opposed to letting my mind wander around once I have figured out what they are going to say), I have not been getting as many comments about my monotone voice.

Although as a physicist, that may actually detract from my credibility. :wink: