Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 6:28 am

I decided at a young age that I hate gossip and vowed never to speak it.
Now I can't stand it. People that spread it make me sick, which is probably why I barely speak...one of the reasons why.
I'm now playing AFI (old AFI) as loudly as I possibly can with headphones just so I can't hear the gossiping hens outside my door .

Anyone else hate gossip as much as me?

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2008, 6:34 am

Yeah, I do. That's also one of the main reasons I don't have many friends, because most people love gossip. It makes me feel rather uncomfortable, I don't like it and they even gossip about friends and I completely dislike that. I don't interact when people gossip; I hate it, but it makes me look like a silent, boring person. I don't like most people's jokes either; they're mostly about others, and not even funny, so I never laugh, which makes me look depressed, or really seriously, which I probably am. Doesn't mean I can't laugh, I can actually, but I just don't like most of their jokes.

People say really vicious things while gossiping.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 6:49 am

Crocodile wrote:
Yeah, I do. That's also one of the main reasons I don't have many friends, because most people love gossip. It makes me feel rather uncomfortable, I don't like it and they even gossip about friends and I completely dislike that. I don't interact when people gossip; I hate it, but it makes me look like a silent, boring person. I don't like most people's jokes either; they're mostly about others, and not even funny, so I never laugh, which makes me look depressed, or really seriously, which I probably am. Doesn't mean I can't laugh, I can actually, but I just don't like most of their jokes.

People say really vicious things while gossiping.

Yep same with me. Being male I always thought that other males (especially my age) never gossiped..... sorry I dont mean to be sexist or anything, but due my limited understanding of people I thought that way. Came as a bit of a shock when some of my friends would gossip. I heard of this saying about gossiping and I'll never forget it: "If a person gossips about someone else to you, certainly that person gossips about you to someone else" or something to that extent.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 7:04 am

i_wanna_blue wrote:
I heard of this saying about gossiping and I'll never forget it: "If a person gossips about someone else to you, certainly that person gossips about you to someone else" or something to that extent.

So true. I heard another saying that goes something like 'gossip starts war.' I haven't got the best memory.
I've always thought that if people gossip about one person they know then when I'm not hanging with them they are probably talking about me.
Once when some of my friends were talking to each other, one gets up and goes home and next minute the whole group is talking about how fat that person was getting. Horrible! These people are supposed to be friends.
Gossip ruined my last relationship *sigh*

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 7:14 am

pensieve wrote:
i_wanna_blue wrote:
I heard of this saying about gossiping and I'll never forget it: "If a person gossips about someone else to you, certainly that person gossips about you to someone else" or something to that extent.

So true. I heard another saying that goes something like 'gossip starts war.' I haven't got the best memory.
I've always thought that if people gossip about one person they know then when I'm not hanging with them they are probably talking about me.
Once when some of my friends were talking to each other, one gets up and goes home and next minute the whole group is talking about how fat that person was getting. Horrible! These people are supposed to be friends.
Gossip ruined my last relationship *sigh*

Tell me about it. It's the sort of things I expected just kids to do when growing up, but sadly experience shows otherwise.

darcelle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2008, 11:10 am

i_wanna_blue wrote:
"If a person gossips about someone else to you, certainly that person gossips about you to someone else"

that's why i hate gossiping, a selfish reason really, i don't want to be gossiped about. it makes me feel so uncomfortable. i can't be around it

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:54 pm

I love gossiping, talking about others behind their backs. But not the kind of gossip where people just say mean things that are not true about someone. I like the kind of gossip where I'm informed of what someone did, how, why, where and when, which makes me learn about people and that person specifically.

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2008, 3:18 pm

I find it funny how the word "gossip" actually used to mean that someone would talk about a certain person because they were concerned about them, now...gossip means something completely different...:P

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 5:34 pm

Yeah now it means b***ing about someone.

There's no harm in talking about people, but when you start to share your own negative thoughts about someone just to get another person to agree with you - that's when I'm leaving the conversation. Well, that's when I'll stop listening. I only ever last a few minutes into a conversation anyway.

Yesterday there was a bit of a row in class. One student that was involved hadn't been coming to class in about a month. She got in a fight with someone else, saying that she talked too much. It was hardly a reason to hate someone. I'm not sure if when when the class was discussing it later if it was gossip (the type of gossip that spreads hate and wild rumors). We were just trying to understand the situation more. No one said anything horrible about the person that started the fight.
I suppose there is good and bad gossip. I've always viewed it as something bad.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 5:45 pm

Hate it

hal9000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2008, 11:41 pm

Hate gossip. I'm a 30 something man and my work mates who are the same, gossip like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes I think men are worse than women. My refusal to enagage in gossip has earned me the reputation of being boring and even snob.

19 Dec 2008, 1:08 am

I used to think gossip was talking about someone when they aren't around and I always thought it was a stupid rule to make it a wrong thing to do.

Now I know it's when someone does rumors, and hearing something about someone and telling about it to someone else. That's how rumors start anyway because it's like telephone. Someone speaks the truth, that person tells it to the next person but in their own words and they might change the story unintentionally because they get the wrong assumption or they remember it differently and then that other person remembers it differently too or makes other assumptions and tells about it and fore you know it, the story has changed. People are gullible so that's why it's best to hear the original story from the person you heard about before you beleive it.