Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:20 pm

I can usually tell, don't know how but I can.
although sometimes it does take me a little while to realise

twix93
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2009, 5:16 am

Actually this is one of my hardest social situations and I have often been told "Can't you take a joke?". If they are smiling, I just smile slightly too.

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2009, 5:55 pm

Usually I just ask and say "Was that a joke?"...
I can detect "hard" sarcasm nowadays, when something says something REALLY inappropriate or weird it is probably meant as a joke.
For example; the character Gregory House from the hitshow House says something sarcastic every minute, and I can appreciate that is funny.
In one show a colleague of him wondered if Greg is an Aspie... :wink:

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2009, 7:23 pm

If they waver the tone of their voice a bit, or change the tone of voice entirely, it usually indicates a joke.

Sometimes, people have a hard time telling when I've made a joke. Even though I do waver my voice. People assume I'm always serious because my voice is pretty monotone, I guess.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 8:31 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Sometimes people use sarcasm or they say something but don't mean it...they're just "joking".

How do you tell when someone is not telling the truth i.e. is just "joking"? I can never tell and I always take them seriously, getting myself worried and then the person that is joking starts laughing at me....

you could say "really?" I have done that sometimes. Or if you know the person well you could attempt to guess if they are kidding or not (you do not have to say anything just a way to decide what action to take)

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

02 Apr 2009, 9:36 pm

They say something and then laugh.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 8:56 am

I have a very hard time telling whether someone is joking or not, also.

So whenever I am unsure (which is just about all the time), I just ask, "Is that a joke?" or "Oh, really?"
Then they either confess or start laughing, or remain serious. Then I know.

Whenever I tell a joke, people usually think I'm being serious, don't find it funny, or they completely miss the point of my joke and focus on another part of what I said entirely. I guess I need to work on my intonation.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:26 pm

I can NEVER do this. I always take people seriously, and I've been trying to learn, but can't seem to figure out any signals that tell you they are joking.

I can only really tell if it's obvious. Like if someone with hair down to his backside, a leather jacket and a Deicide tshirt says he hates heavy metal, it is definitely a joke.