Intelligent Design: 'The Death of Science?'

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2005, 6:42 am

One recent discovery was Intelligent Falling, ( http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512 ) this is a replacement for gravitational theory (which is just a theory) which I think takes the argument iagainst suicide out ( at least by jumping from a height). If you look at all the people who have jumped from cliffs, buildings, even good old Beachy Head and consider who was accelerating them......
I take your point kev729 and have no problem with christians in general, the "christian right" though is a different matter. Having said that I'm sure it's only a minority there that I would seriously have problems with.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2005, 11:53 am

Also, I hate it when Intelligent Design is seen as the "death of all reason". Quite the contrary. Besides, Intelligent design theory is not necessarily God, it can be aliens, or another force. I see it as God though. And why is the mention of God so "offensive" (btw, I hate that word and how it is used now!)

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2005, 11:55 am

Just because they start with the premise that there is a God, dose not mean that it is an unproven belief. Besides this is what science does anyway, try to find evidence supporting a particular belief.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2005, 12:06 pm

It isn't the mention of "God" thats offensive, it's the way some use it as a blunt instrument to beat their ideas into others. Other ideas like patriotism are used in similar fashion. If "God" is a personal inspitration, fine, If you want to accept the word of the Bible literally, fine. Spending millions of dollars on spurious science and hitting people with the god argument when they reply is what is really causing the concern at the moment. Extreme fundamentalist think tanks are exporting their "educational" websites and advisors to other countries. It makes those of us who are not faith based feel we have been disenfranchised. how do you answer someone who has no proof, but insists he is right because "God" is showing him the way?

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2005, 3:11 pm

jb814 wrote:
how do you answer someone who has no proof, but insists he is right because "God" is showing him the way?

Yes, Mr President?

:D

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2005, 4:55 pm

Humour in the news forum, Goshm whatever next.
Anyway, since I rarely make myself clear, here is a link that is a little clearer.
http://www.theocracywatch.org/

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 5:00 pm

Scary stuff... 8O

interesting link that.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!