Why do neurotypicals become stupid as they enter adulthood?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Computerwizkid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2010, 5:21 pm

Quote:
It has been my experience that most NT's don't really like to learn new things once they are an adult. They just want to socialize, work, and relax. It seems as though a large part of their daily life is just talking about what they do, people they know do, or famous people do. All they are concerned with is other NT activities and little else.

I love learning new things, generally relating to my interests, but in many cases even if it is not something I'm interested in new information is welcome if it is intriguing or relevant.

The universe is such a big place, and I love learning how and why it all works, and what all is out there. As such, I find the daily lives of people to be largely irrelevant and unimportant. Where as to NT's that is all that is important. Most of them couldn't care less about anything that doesn't affect them, or other NT's, directly.

to what i have seen this is the most accurate way of putting it most people just end up not caring about what is around them just what happens to them.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 5:42 pm

I agree with the sentiment that if it isn't happening to them or someone close to them or maybe a celebrity, a majority of NT's don't really care.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 6:06 pm

Some NT"s do what seem to be strange things in their late teens and early twenties.

This is the age when one thinks that they are invincible. They also have raging hormones. They have major changes going on in their lives. They graduate from high school, enter college/university and graduate from university. They are dealing with the stress of exams, all the social stuff going on in their lives and trying to decide what careers to pursue. They are often living at home (due to high real estate and rental prices) and are caught between the world of being their parents child and an autonomous adult at the same time.

It is a time for making mistakes and learning from them.

Being "stupid" is a natural part of growing. They DO continue to learn. Heck some of them are learning from the school of life (what might be referred to as "being stupid) AND learning on the job AND through formal education.

BTW - people with AS can be 'stupid' during these years too. Many people with mild AS (or traits, like me) went through the same growing period. Heck, for me, it lasted longer than my NT peers (this is because it took me longer to learn social etiquette where my NT peers picked up on these lifeskills more quickly).

Remember - to most NT"s, Aspies can seem like the most stupid, stubborn, inflexible, arrogant people out there - maybe we should just be a little more gentle and understanding of each other.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 6:15 pm

Wow! I'm an Aspie and I don't really care. Gulf coast,9/11,Jackson death news over and over and over again! I'm sick of it! I get tired of hearing the same thing on the news EVERYDAY! So that's why I don't tend to watch it outside of mainly weather info. (being in FL storm season etc.) I also don't like why NT's are the super social type. I made a list of plans and my friends says busy/work etc. and yet the other day on FB when one of her friends wanted to go out to dinner my friend said yes.

I'm not sper of the moment I like to plan things. I don't understand the NT behavior of lets go right now. I also don't understand complaining much. Here you are studying to become X field yet OMG that test in X field was stressful etc. UH IMO it's just going to get harder from here!! ! and from my research on getting into research AND getting your graduate degree KISS YOUR SOCIAL LIFE GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK HAVING A PART TIME JOB!! ! You are hitting THOSE BOOKS!! !! Sadly I think NT's play in College then get a rude awakening when that degree doesn't get them far or perhaps start grad school. I'm only starting my AA again but have the mentality that studying is going to be hard and it'll just get HARDER! As I've said before I'm interested in research psychology and understand becoming a psychologist is REALLY hard and have psyched myself up for hard work I don't go in "oh it'll be easy" I KNOW it's going to be HARD! and if at anytime I feel I can't handle it than Psychology isn't for me (I haven't reached that point YET!) So we'll see how studying Psychology goes. :-)

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 6:29 pm

I think it may be a human thing. I know an Aspie girl who was concerned with all this fashion and celebrity, she kept on wearing these stupid high heels that she couldn't walk in just because they were a fancy brand name she got on sale.

Some people are just stupid, some are not. It's not related to being on the Spectrum or not, it's related to thinking. Some people just don't think about world issues as something that relates to them.

greej
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2010, 6:31 pm

you stop being able to adapt because nature wants you dead.

i'm not sure this is specifically a(n) NT thing.

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

I don't think this is something that can only be applied to NT's. That said, this is an interesting topic. I'd agree that when a person gets older, they start getting more interested in their social encounters and as life continues they feel that their life must go "get a job get a partner get a house raise a child" and that as far as seeing the world goes, it only really goes as far as obvious trips to the Eiffel Tower or something every few years. Too much emphasis is put on how their social calendar is written out and interest becomes lost on things they could revel in (such as for an example the "special interests" that Aspies would have, I'm not using this as an "Us v Them" mentality, but you get what I mean). The rest of the time is spent socializing, working, stuff like that. It ends up like this because it's what they're taught when they're young and it's how they see their parent's lives.

Media also has a big part. Horrible tabloids that treat it's readers like peabrains are selling by the bucketload, and so much media in general is so patronising. and yet people are lapping it up and it's giving people false ideas. The Sun in Britain had a front page calling David Cameron the country's only hope during the election - are newspapers even legally allowed to do that? I've actually heard an interview with Graham Linehan (TV writer) once where he suggested that TV was losing quality and becoming stupider because had people had stopped reading books or exploring the world around them and I can find a sense of truth in that.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:08 pm

because they are born dumb, but it manifest when they get older, :doh: :doh:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 7:24 pm

RetNet56 wrote:
SilverPikmin wrote:
They don't become stupid as they enter adulthood.

Oh, they drink and drive, pour hot coffee on themselves intentionally in order to sue the coffee shop etc. NT adults are often some pretty disgusting individuals.

Condemning an entire group of individuals due to its worst-behaved members is just as stupid as the behaviour listed above.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2010, 12:45 am

I have some logic theories to answer these questions. Do not flame me for using religion. these are my beliefs.
Sin=evil=money
Money=Root of all evil
what do we work for?=money
what do we spend money on? clothes,food,home,tv,cable,internet,computers,cars,electricity,music ect...
Which of these things are Unnatural?=Tv,Cable,Internet,Computers,Cars
who does the money go to when you buy these things?= Corporations
What do corporations do?=develop more unnatural things we don't need.
Why= Because of previous unnatural things causing problems=Need a Fix/solution
How do they go about geting a Fix/solution= More money$

you may ask yourself, how do unnatural things affect our society?
War=unnatural
Genocide=unnatural
Murder=unnatural
rape=unnatural
abortion=unnatural
Obesity=unnatural
laziness=unnatural

I hate to say it, but technology is unnatural.
it destroys the earth, and its people, and takes more lives than it saves.
Most of us, don't even know how to survive in the wilderness= unnatural
and Why do we as people do such things because it's widely accepted that,'The Right way'
is to try to progress our society, how?=New technologies= adding more unnatural to unnatural= secular evil
Evil = pays for the unnatural.

I could keep going on and on. but to simply put it. We live in a web of information. most people do what society see's as right.
our Society cannot possibly be right as to this day people look at one another and judge each other instantly because we follow the way we were raised and how our society says we should be.

society in itself is not the problem.
but we live in a biased society run by the Govt in every way shape and form, down to the stuff you brush your teeth with.
our gov't has taught multiple generations science that seems to work and then yrs later is disproved.

So who is right? God. Who falls short= everyone
who is right with God?= those who spread his word, do not judge, and worship him.
how is the achieved?= God word is right= must be natural.
naturally we should all worship God= Perfect world

you can argue that Christians,Muslims,Jews are close minded.
yet those are just the people. The word of God is Pure
anything you need, God will provide, as long as you ask.
If you do not need something, is it unnatural?= yes
If we all band together to become the best people we can be, without competing,fighting,hating, and by worshiping God.
Logically we would live in a better world. People do not do their best, they do the easiest. you reap what you sew.
By trying to be cheap and have as much money as possible. We have all contributed. This is how we are all ignorant. you or someone else will read this, and think I am being ignorant, yet if you search your heart you know the truth.

we are all to pre-occupied with technology, celebs,gossip, and our own personal sins, whatever your vice , Most of us do not take time out of the day to help our problems. instead, you will read this, ignore every word, go on with your pre-fashioned daily routine tomorrow , and forget you ever read this.

which is my point, you will be back right where you started. = Where society want's you.
what is our society bent on?=competing,exploring,killing,extorting,manipulation

Look how we are. slaves to debt, led by the Gov't fed media, on a path to become more powerful than our fellow man, as to dominate.

MuayThaiKid

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 1:03 am

MuayThaiKid wrote:
War=unnatural
Genocide=unnatural
Murder=unnatural
rape=unnatural
abortion=unnatural
Obesity=unnatural
laziness=unnatural

Really? All these things you list are unnatural? I would have to disagree.

War: A pride of lions will fight with another if their territories intersect, same with a pack of wolves, or any other carnivores who live in groups and encounter another group of carnivores. Two groups of organisms fighting over territory, sounds like war to me.

Genocide: Continuing with the above example, will a pride of lions kill every single member of a pack of hyenas that is in their territory? They absolutely will, given the opportunity.

Murder: All carnivores kill in order to eat. Some even do it for fun, such as orcas who kill a sea lion and then spend a long while tossing the carcass around playfully only to then not eat it.

Rape: This is pretty much standard in the animal world. If a male animal wants to have sex and a female doesn't, but the male is bigger and stronger, then guess what? The male is getting sex whether the female wants him to or not.

Abortion: Another thing that is standard practice in the animal world. Males will try to make a pregnant female lose the baby/babies in order for her to become receptive to mating again. Males will also kill already born babies to get the female to become receptive to mating quicker as well, this is standard practice in lion prides when a new male takes over.

Obesity: If there is an ample food supply and little competition then animals are prone to obesity as well. Heck it is encouraged in colder climates where animals purposely fatten themselves up so they can then hibernate during the winter.

Laziness: Watch the nature channel and see what carnivores do when they're not hunting or defending their territory, many of them just lay around waiting for prey to show up. Male lions are especially guilty of this, if the females haven't gotten a kill recently, and there is no defending to do, then the male lion is just relaxing in the shade.

To sum up, animals have been doing everything on your list since there were animals on this planet to do them. So, I would definitely have to disagree about any of them being unnatural, they are a part of life, and have been since it began.

Just because humans happen to use technology to achieve many of the things in the list does not make them unnatural. Furthermore, I'm not saying I condone any of these activities, I'm just saying they are natural, and have been going on long before humans ever walked the Earth.

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2010, 1:26 am

Variant wrote:
MuayThaiKid wrote:
War=unnatural
Genocide=unnatural
Murder=unnatural
rape=unnatural
abortion=unnatural
Obesity=unnatural
laziness=unnatural

Really? All these things you list are unnatural? I would have to disagree.

Genocide: Will a pride of lions kill every single member of a pack of hyenas that is in their territory? They absolutely will, given the opportunity.

Murder: All carnivores kill in order to eat. Some even do it for fun, such as orcas who kill a sea lion and then spend a long while tossing the carcass around playfully only to then not eat it.

Rape: This is pretty much standard in the animal world. If a male animal wants to have sex and a female doesn't, but the male is bigger and stronger, then guess what? The male is getting sex whether the female wants him to or not.

Abortion: Another thing that is standard practice in the animal world. Males will try to make a pregnant female lose the baby/babies in order for her to become receptive to mating again. Males will also kill already born babies to get the female to become receptive to mating quicker as well, this is standard practice in lion prides when a new male takes over.

Obesity: If there is an ample food supply and little competition then animals are prone to obesity as well. Heck it is encouraged in colder climates where animals purposely fatten themselves up so they can then hibernate during the winter.

Laziness: Watch the nature channel and see what carnivores do when they're not hunting or defending their territory, many of them just lay around waiting for prey to show up. Male lions are especially guilty of this, if the females haven't gotten a kill recently, and there is no defending to do, then the male lion is just relaxing in the shade.

To sum up, animals have been doing everything on your list since there were animals on this planet to do them. So, I would definitely have to disagree about any of them being unnatural, they are a part of life, and have been since it began.

Just because humans happen to use technology to achieve many of the things in the list does not make them unnatural. Furthermore, I'm not saying I condone any of these activities, I'm just saying they are natural, and have been going on long before humans ever walked the Earth.

I knew Someone would critically think of this exact answer... I give you props.
I think the words natural and unnatural, have to be used in the context I used them in.
simpler yet. you said yourself, you don't condone these things. what My overall point was more about, if something isn't right. should you do it?
animals do these things? are we animals? and if so that kinda sounds like the "everyone else was doing it" excuse.
I do not have all the answers, but I know where I'm right. and that is we all partake in an everyone else was doing it society.
If we as humans are animals, then animals must have a sense of right and wrong.
which means, everyone/everything is to blame.
like children that had good intentions, yet did not follow the rules.

Variant, all this is my thoughts, my right and left brain have been constantly arguing since I was little. things they can agree on, are cause and effect. I ask myself logical questions and try to make sense of it. you can then logically deduce both sides of an argument.
don't take me wrong, I am educated in both sides of this. I was an A+ student in bio and environmental science in high school as well as sociology, economics and politics.

our society then logically (to me) Is corrupt.=evil.. example: someone says: I hate you=anger resentment, creates badblood, could eventually work its way up and lead to war. someone says: thank you, God bless, or your a nice person= good feelings, and chizzles away some of the hate. If everyone was nice to one another, and nobody abused the kindness of others, we would live in perfection( which i believe is impossible) but we live in a world of the exact opposite.

SO MY FINAL POINT IS... people just accept that, thats my problem, which in itself could= evil!! ! oh man we have a conundrum

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 1:41 am

MuayThaiKid wrote:
I knew Someone would critically think of this exact answer... I give you props.
I think the words natural and unnatural, have to be used in the context I used them in.
simpler yet. you said yourself, you don't condone these things. what My overall point was more about, if something isn't right. should you do it?

Natural/Unnatural and Right/Wrong mean totally different things, regardless of context, substituting them for each other is just asking for confusion, in my opinion.

MuayThaiKid wrote:
animals do these things? are we animals? and if so that kinda sounds like the "everyone else was doing it" excuse.

Technically yes, we are animals, but I know you meant behaviorally and not biologically. And again, your previous post seemed to drill home the idea that "money/technology = evil/sin," and that is why we have the list of activities you made. I was just illustrating that both money and technology can be removed from the equation and all the things on your list still remain.

MuayThaiKid wrote:
I do not have all the answers, but I know where I'm right. and that is we all partake in an everyone else was doing it society.
If we as humans are animals, then animals must have a sense of right and wrong.
which means, everyone/everything is to blame.
like children that had good intentions, yet did not follow the rules.

Vilifying money and technology is not going to solve the worlds problems, that is my point. Money I'm none too fond of, but technology can be used to achieve miraculous things, it all depends what you do with it.

MuayThaiKid wrote:
Variant, all this is my thoughts, my right and left brain have been constantly arguing since I was little. things they can agree on, are cause and effect. I ask myself logical questions and try to make sense of it. you can then logically deduce both sides of an argument.
don't take me wrong, I am educated in both sides of this. I was an A+ student in bio and environmental science in high school as well as sociology, economics and politics.

Alrighty then, personally I don't think logic and religion go hand in hand, but I do not wish to get into a religious debate, as I find those annoying and pointless.

MuayThaiKid wrote:
our society then logically (to me) Is corrupt.=evil.. example: someone says: I hate you=anger resentment, creates badblood, could eventually work its way up and lead to war. someone says: thank you, God bless, or your a nice person= good feelings, and chizzles away some of the hate. If everyone was nice to one another, and nobody abused the kindness of others, we would live in perfection( which i believe is impossible) but we live in a world of the exact opposite.

SO MY FINAL POINT IS... people just accept that, thats my problem, which in itself could= evil!! ! oh man we have a conundrum

It all depends on the person, no matter what you say, whether it is intended to be nice or not, can cause someone to be angry or annoyed. There is no one answer that is going to fix everything, in my opinion.

MuayThaiKid
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2010, 2:02 am

Natural/Unnatural and Right/Wrong mean totally different things, regardless of context, substituting them for each other is just asking for confusion, in my opinion.

[/quote]

probably, my word association may be to blame. I associate natural, as what God intended. and nature after the fall of man changed to become unnatural.
again, I realize you do not believe in religion and logic being used together. But these are like hardwired things in my heart.

ethnically yes, we are animals, but I know you meant behaviorally and not biologically. And again, your previous post seemed to drill home the idea that "money/technology = evil/sin," and that is why we have the list of activities you made. I was just illustrating that both money and technology can be removed from the equation and all the things on your list still remain. [quote]

yes they do remain.But in my point of view, that is unnatural.

to everything you said accept the statement about logic and religion( I agree lets not argue, to do so would be pointless for both sides)

100% agreed .
we logically came to the conclusion that. it's an accumulation of problems, no one person is right,
and for laughs, theistic or not. survival of the fittest is kinda F-ed up from a general moral perspective

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 2:11 am

Fair enough.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2010, 3:19 am

I completely reject the opinion of the OP. Neurotypicals do not become stupid when they reach adulthood. That generalisation is just so - well stupid, and immoral. Just as it would be as stupid and immoral to make the same generalisation about any other group of people.

Threads like this appear regularly on WP and they make me really angry. However the Aspie elitism (for it is usually Aspies who start them) which they represent is refuted by people who are more eloquent than me.