Sometimes. 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
I never even thought about it really. 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 21

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 6:29 pm

What Swine Flu?

Its just another episode to make the people hysterical and suspicious of each other.

See Naomi Klein's book, The Shock Doctrine to see how world leaders profit from the misery of ordinary people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine:_The_Rise_of_Disaster_Capitalism

We all know that this Bird/Swine flu thing was made up so drug companies can scam the people out of tax money.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 9:17 pm

Craig28 wrote:
We all know that this Bird/Swine flu thing was made up so drug companies can scam the people out of tax money.

I doubt this is true. The media needs to create panics and sensations every once in a while so it can sell itself. Drug companies (and other companies in the field relating to the latest panic) just profit from the it.

Edit: But whether it's the media or the drug companies, when an epidemic/pandemic actually strikes, you'll know.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 9:25 pm

By then the news and radio stations will stop airing.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 2:43 am

vaccines actually aren't that profitable for drug companies. Neither are antibiotics.
Also, the bird flu =/= the H1N1 swine flu. So far the bird flu has not occurred in a form that can become pandemic in human populations.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:59 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ccine.html

Quote:
Sales of its H1N1 vaccine amounted to £698m on the back of last year's swine flu crisis. Glaxo forecast another £200m in related sales in the remaining nine months of the year, with the threat of a pandemic having receded.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:11 am

I suspect that I may have been exposed to the Swine Flu already, I have also been vaccinated against it.

I am not nervous about the swine flue. What scres me is if the swine flue and normal flu were to mix in a person infected with both, this could lead to a nightmare flu which could be as bad as spanish flu.

If you are in the UK and have a history of lung trouble or other diseases then you can get the flu vaccine

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
It was April 2009 when the swine flu was first noticed in the UK, and it went on right through the spring into summer, then by the time autumn came, I didn't hear so much about it and just forgotten about it. Now it's a year and 4 months later, and it's suddenly back again, causing me major anxiety again (on top of the government's cut-backs). But the worst part is - lots of close loved ones in my family suffer with health problems in their lungs or chest, and I am just terrified of loosing people I love over a stupid flu what shouldn't even be here. I suffer with sinus problems so I don't know if it can kill me aswell or not.
I am hoping my family will be OK, because despite some having health problems, they don't catch many colds, which means they are generally healthy, and I'm hoping the swine flu won't kill them. But it worries me so much.

I know people can die anyway, for example by getting knocked down by a bus or an airoplane crashing into a building we could be in, but the swine flu is more likely to occur, plus it spreads to other people. The annoying thing is, people know they have a temperature and are feeling unwell, yet they still go out and start coughing and spluttering everywhere, and that's how it mutates. I WISH it never came back to the UK again, and I WISH it didn't kill people with health problems, and I WISH it wasn't as common as it is.

Oh my god.

Just get the damn vaccine then. That's what I did.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 3:33 am

MrLoony wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/gsk/7645872/GlaxoSmithKline-profits-climb-on-healthy-sales-of-swine-flu-vaccine.html

Quote:
Sales of its H1N1 vaccine amounted to £698m on the back of last year's swine flu crisis. Glaxo forecast another £200m in related sales in the remaining nine months of the year, with the threat of a pandemic having receded.

Look at that, an actual citation. Was that so hard?
In fact, you are correct on this one, and the situation has changed from the last news I had heard:
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/0 ... sa0204.htm

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

Perhaps you'll be more excited about swine flu after reading this article on the BBC? :wink:

I already had swine flu the first time around while I was living in the UK. It was terrible for about 4 days, and then I was dead tired for a good 3 weeks afterwards. I have asthma, but luckily(?) I had more of the stomach symptoms than the respiratory ones. I can personally attest that I've rarely been sick since then outside of a few sinus infections, but I've been getting those a few times a year for most of my life.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:45 am

It's just another annoying virus, that kills hardly anyone it infects. Big woop.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 9:15 am

Hang on a minute, why am I worrying about the swine flu, when my country is in debt and the government are cutting bus services, NHS, shops, council, and everything else what we all can' live without? This is all happening right in front of our faces - I'd better move my anxiety onto the economy for the time being, until one of my loved ones catches swine flu.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:48 am

so what, more people die per year from ordinary flu, far more. No reason to even worry at all. Seriously think the whole hype over it is brought about by big pharm to simply make more money, thats bout it.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 1:32 am

I live in one of the cities first hit by swine flu and I caught it late ast winter. It was actually very unnerving to wake up in the middle of the night, not being able to breathe for all the mucus and phlegm. I thought I was going to have to go to the ER I was having so much trouble for the couple night it was at its worse. It was NOT like ordinary flu--although I got over it quicker than regular flu, at its peak, the respiratory symptoms were far worse. I can see why people die from it.

This winter I got the combo vaccination the first week it was available. Aside from a annoying stomach virus, I haven't been sick all winter. not even strep, which I usually get, since I work with kids ("walking petri dishes" as one doctor who treated me for strep in the past called them).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm

In the fall of 2009 when they came out with the vaccine in Canada I thought I was going to go COMPLETELY INSANE. The anxiety, the paranoia, the depression I felt every single day was almost unbearable. People in the local online newspaper had all kinds of rude and nasty comments for anyone who planned to get the shot, one nice person said something like "that's right, baa baa line up and get your shots like good little sheep" and they would go on and on about all the horrible toxic substances that were in it, while other people said better safe than sorry or they knew someone who got really sick with what may or not have been H1N1. You were darned if you did, darned if you didn't. I worried about being stuck in my apartment for weeks or even months because of a pandemic. How would I survive, did I have enough food and medical supplies and how would I keep from going stir crazy not being able to contact anyone. I worried about my parents, my mother has asthma and my dad is a heavy smoker who gets a of of colds. I was so worried that I couldn't even enjoy Halloween, my all-time favorite holiday. But now I'm just sick of the whole thing, pardon the pun. :roll: I hate this germaphobic society of ours, it's like you're not even allowed to get a sniffle anymore. But if we try too hard to resist every disease we'll just end up being less immune and it will get worse. In fact it's the reason more people are developing deadly allergies, thanks to Lysol and their little conspiracy to make us all like the boy in the bubble with their stupid commercials that show animated green spores crawling all over the pump of a bottle of ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP, for gosh sakes!! ! :evil: Is it any wonder people develop OCD and can't stop washing their hands???

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 6:16 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
In the fall of 2009 when they came out with the vaccine in Canada I thought I was going to go COMPLETELY INSANE. The anxiety, the paranoia, the depression I felt every single day was almost unbearable. People in the local online newspaper had all kinds of rude and nasty comments for anyone who planned to get the shot, one nice person said something like "that's right, baa baa line up and get your shots like good little sheep" and they would go on and on about all the horrible toxic substances that were in it, while other people said better safe than sorry or they knew someone who got really sick with what may or not have been H1N1. You were darned if you did, darned if you didn't. I worried about being stuck in my apartment for weeks or even months because of a pandemic. How would I survive, did I have enough food and medical supplies and how would I keep from going stir crazy not being able to contact anyone. I worried about my parents, my mother has asthma and my dad is a heavy smoker who gets a of of colds. I was so worried that I couldn't even enjoy Halloween, my all-time favorite holiday. But now I'm just sick of the whole thing, pardon the pun. :roll: I hate this germaphobic society of ours, it's like you're not even allowed to get a sniffle anymore. But if we try too hard to resist every disease we'll just end up being less immune and it will get worse. In fact it's the reason more people are developing deadly allergies, thanks to Lysol and their little conspiracy to make us all like the boy in the bubble with their stupid commercials that show animated green spores crawling all over the pump of a bottle of ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP, for gosh sakes!! ! :evil: Is it any wonder people develop OCD and can't stop washing their hands???

exactly. even vaccinating too much affects the immune system in the same way. In regards to influenza and swine flu, Id much rather get the immunity naturally. Plus I am against curing all diseases anyways as you will have huge population issues as a result, and we already have them.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:06 pm

The solution to the confusion is information, not apathy.