Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Page:

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 pm

I know there is some worry in the Asperger's community about the way the DSM-V is dropping Asperger syndrome as a separate diagnosis, but in the USA all medical doctors use the ICD system (because of insurance mandates). I do not know if psychologist are using the DSM, but a psychiatrist would need to use the ICD (and only the USA uses the DSM as far as I know). The US is about to change from the ICD-9 to the ICD-10 (about a decade after the ICD-10 came out, and version 11 comes out in 2014), and in the ICD-10 Asperger syndrome is still a separate diagnosis (and I have little hope that the USA will synchronize with the rest of the world to the ICD-11 until at least 2020). It is still not known if there will be changes to the ICD-11 to childhood autism, asperger syndrome, etc.

I do not know if this will help clam anyone about the changes to the DSM definitions, but I hope that it will help.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:03 pm

It won't matter that much, because the United States will likely no longer be a sovereign nation in a few more years. The people will probably use whatever definitions that are used by whatever nations which pick up the territory.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 am

nebrets wrote:
I know there is some worry in the Asperger's community about the way the DSM-V is dropping Asperger syndrome as a separate diagnosis, but in the USA all medical doctors use the ICD system (because of insurance mandates). I do not know if psychologist are using the DSM, but a psychiatrist would need to use the ICD (and only the USA uses the DSM as far as I know). The US is about to change from the ICD-9 to the ICD-10 (about a decade after the ICD-10 came out, and version 11 comes out in 2014), and in the ICD-10 Asperger syndrome is still a separate diagnosis (and I have little hope that the USA will synchronize with the rest of the world to the ICD-11 until at least 2020). It is still not known if there will be changes to the ICD-11 to childhood autism, asperger syndrome, etc.

I do not know if this will help clam anyone about the changes to the DSM definitions, but I hope that it will help.

i have pointed this out by many occasions… and as far as the ICD-11 alpha draft goes:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/ ... index.html

asperger syndrome is still there.

besides the US, also holland is using the DSM for some odd reason.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Page: