"I'm not dead, yet." -- "Get on the cart"

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

QuillBilly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 May 2012, 12:43 am

I'm an organ donor. I'm proud to be an organ donor. I like to think that when I die, something good can come of it.

I just had a conversation in which I was called an idiot for having the symbol on my driver license. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.

I said that I have to believe otherwise.

They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but if you believe that, you're deluded." Then they went on to say how they have been on both sides of the medical profession and had seen it first hand.

I saw a no-win argument and said nothing more, but I have to believe that people in medical fields are there because they want to keep me alive. Otherwise, how can I trust them at all?

As I half-listened to their lengthy story, I kept thinking what a morbid and pessimistic view of humanity. Personally, I have to believe that there is compassion and civility in more than not or I see little reason to continue this world.

Do good and be a good example. Optimism can be contagious. 8)

Very likely an Aspie

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 7:29 am

I wish I'd catch optimism, but the older and wiser I get, the more it eludes me. :? In hindsight, the world's pattern is splitting in two. There's the side that's for show and then there's one hidden by deception and/or denial.

It's more comfortable to see things how we'd like to see them than it is to see them as they really are, especially for those who don't have faith in God being sovereign.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 4:44 am

QuillBilly wrote:
I just had a conversation in which I was called an idiot for having the symbol on my driver license. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.

That's nonsense. If you were injured a doctor would make every effort to get you well. It's their job and for some, their calling. Also, if you have life threatening injuries, I don't think they'll be rooting through your wallet until they've stabilised you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:36 am

Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people. Though I don't know that they actually try less hard to help if you're an organ donar, I mean its possible but I am sure that would be illegal or something so people in that field could do that but it would be illegal.....at least I hope well and I'd hope not to run into such health care professionals.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 12:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

You have no way of knowing that.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 4:55 pm

book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I know many people in the medical profession are in it for the money, more than to help people.

From what I've experienced, and from what I feel, I don't think that medical professionals will just scrap you for organs if you're severely injured.

You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system. There are some good health professionals and there are some corrupt ones, its just how things are from my perspective. But as I said I don't think they'd do that either, I am just saying humans are not incapable of doing things like that...and not all humans follow laws against murder.

invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2012, 7:22 pm

When it comes to organ donation what scares me is those stories that come up occasionally where someone was considered brain dead but as they were being prepped for organ harvesting they woke up. I've decided to leave it to my partner and family to make that choice for me if it ever comes up. If I say I want to be an organ donor it might speed the process to organ donation up but if its for my family to decide it might buy me more time to recover if that's what I'm going to do. I think if doctors know they've got a donor they might be likely to write someone off sooner... I'm not saying I think doctors are corrupt (although I absolutely acknowledge that some would be) but if they know they have a willing organ donor they might start to think ahead to organ donation rather than focusing on the right now and whether they can do more for you or whether you should get a bit more time to just wait and see.

Last edited by invisibubble on 03 May 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 7:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system.

I think most of the doctors are on the up-and-up. It's the HMO insurance companies that are shady, and they pressure care givers into under diagnosing and looking the other way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:48 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You seriously don't think there are people in the medical profession that are more in it for the money than anything else? From what I've learned I can't trust the system.

I think most of the doctors are on the up-and-up. It's the HMO insurance companies that are shady, and they pressure care givers into under diagnosing and looking the other way.

Oh yes that is a factor as well.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 4:34 pm

QuillBilly wrote:
They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but ..."

I'm not trying to be mean, but...
I'm not trying to cause a stir, but...
I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, but...

ANY time someone phrases a sentence like this, EVERYTHING that comes after the "but" is EXACTLY what the first half of the sentence is trying to warn against. This is a form of subtle verbal abuse by means of invalidation. This person was most definitely being insulting and belittling of your own thoughts and beliefs. It doesn't matter which of you is right and which is wrong, and quite frankly, it's probably a little of both. The fact that this person was discounting you out of hand gave you every right to start ignoring them.

Regarding the specific dilemma, some doctors are out for the money and some are out for actually helping others. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I would hope the bulk of them are out for helping their patient above making the moolah. Unless you are unconscious or in dire need of immediate medical assistance and don't feel that you have the time to spare, you are always welcome to get a second opinion if you feel that the doctor treating you might not have your health as his/her first concern when dealing with you. Ironically, even the doctors who are in it for the money are likely to still care about your health and treatment, but they will offer treatments based on who's pharmaceutical company's pocket they're in - this is notably unethical, but it does occur. If you are unsure of the diagnosis or treatment being offered, seek a second or even third opinion.

Arm yourself with knowledge. Understand what being a donor entails, what will happen to your body after you die, and who, if anyone, benefits from your decision.

QuillBilly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2012, 10:09 pm

Thank you, Nicole. That was a very nicely stated and supported response. I appreciate that.

I was upset when they said it and posted mainly to vent, but your post did well to shore up my feelings and firm my stance.

We have to give doctors and nurses a certain amount trust, so they can do their jobs, while keeping ourselves informed about our own health.
Being an organ donor can save many lives and there are plenty of safeguards to protect people on both sides. Primarily, the doctor with the patient seeking a donation cannot be involved in declaration of the donor. Also, declaration of death of a donor requires two separate doctors, neither related to the transplant.
While some may think greed could influence a doctor's decisions, I'd say that's about as likely as getting mugged and waking up in a bathtub minus a kidney.

8)

Very likely an Aspie

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:25 pm

QuillBilly wrote:
. They insisted that sharing that means doctors won't make as much effort to save you since they can make more money from your parts than your life.

They said, "I'm not trying to insult you, but if you believe that, you're deluded." Then they went on to say how they have been on both sides of the medical profession and had seen it first hand.

)

Contrary to what your friend says or claims to have seen, doctors neither get paid for organs nor do they get bonuses for letting somebody die and then using their organs on somebody else. Although there is an organ black market (as there is a black market for everything), you have not accidentally opted into this black market by being an organ donor. The emergency care you recieve will be unaffected by your kind choice to be an organ donor.

I am an organ donor too. And a medical professional. Your friend is wrong. You have made a compassionate choice and if you ever wind up in emergency care, this choice will NOT cause doctors to let you die.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:41 pm

Why kill a Westerner when there are so many good Chinese organs on the black market?

Also, there is a very large difference between "in it for the money [and social status]" and "in it to actively murder patients so as to make a few extra bucks".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 10:18 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Why kill a Westerner when there are so many good Chinese organs on the black market?

Also, there is a very large difference between "in it for the money [and social status]" and "in it to actively murder patients so as to make a few extra bucks".

Well no crap but that does not prevent sadists who would murder patients from become doctors...is all I am saying, I mean the chances of that might be a little low but there is always that possibility.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 11:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:

Well no crap but that does not prevent sadists who would murder patients from become doctors...is all I am saying, I mean the chances of that might be a little low but there is always that possibility.

It is a possibility. But the possibility of running into such a doctor is not increased by becoming an organ donor.