Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Zerbu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm

From what I've seen in a few discussions on here, the people here seem to have this belief that a PUA successfully seducing a woman (ie getting her attracted to him) is rape. In other words, what this is basically saying is that women are incapable of making rational decisions and it's not their responsibility if they choose to go along with a PUA's seduction and consent to have sex with him afterwards.

Surely you must be outraged at this, right?

Do you also think that a woman wearing a revealing outfit, or doing something else that turns men on, is raping a man? Because, that idea is no more ridiculous and outrageous than what I just described above.

I don't support PUAs, but I by no means think they're rapists or any other kind of criminal, and I certainly don't think women should not be held accountable for willingly going along with it.

Rape is sex without consent, but in this case it was done with willing consent. Consenting to sex then regretting it afterwards doesn't mean you didn't consent in the first place.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 11:43 pm

First, what's a PUA?

Second, I don't think either gender wearing provocative clothing equals rape, but it is usually selfish. Some women tempt men with how they dress in order to seduce them, and some men are just as guilty with women. Personally, I can't stand that behavior; women are so much more than objects in my heart.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 11:49 pm

Completely agree Zebru. I don't understand the PUA mentality, but if consent to intercourse is freely given at the time, then it's not rape. The woman has the liberty to withdraw her consent at any stage and the man MUST respect that decision. To classify 'regret' as 'retrospective rape' is to trivialise the offence of rape.

I say this as a feminist by inclination, and would be interested to hear arguments to the contrary.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2013, 12:48 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
First, what's a PUA?

Pick-up artist (n.) A smooth operator; One able to easily chat people up and convince them to engage in short, carnal affairs, typically lasting only a few hours. They accomplish this task with a high success rate of success. Lack of familiarity with this term implies the corollary.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 2:15 am

Who said it was rape? Links to the post/s, if you please.

If they're obtaining sex under false pretenses/misrepresenting who they are, that's a douchebag move, but I wouldn't call it rape.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 2:45 am

Sociopaths(ASPD) are notorious for being both pick-up artist womanizers and also rapists. Maybe that's what the OP is getting at. :idea:

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2013, 3:38 am

I just saw a video that is a PSA from out of New Zealand. I bet this is what he's referring to, as it closely resembles that.

It's not a pick-up artist. By the laws in my State this would be rape.

-o Both A and B are intoxicated
-o A initiates sexual contact with B
-o A and B have sex

Under the laws of most states in the U.S., A is technically guilty of rape, regardless of gender.

I think it's ridiculous. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. I just hope this doesn't get out of hand. Or doesn't get out of hand in the U.S.

It's a long watch, and you unfortunately have to watch the whole thing. They pepper it with facial expressions from the various actors and are thus attempting--succeeding in 99% of the population--to control the viewers reaction and attitude. In a courtroom, none of that would be available.

This is idiocy. Someone has an agenda in motion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUj2OHLAG3w

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:15 pm

Venger wrote:
Sociopaths(ASPD) are notorious for being both pick-up artist womanizers and also rapists. Maybe that's what the OP is getting at. :idea:

You would have to be a sociopath to be a PUA in the first place. Just being a PUA doesn't make you a rapist but yes, I'm sure a good portion of them technically are........

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 1:00 pm

Zerbu wrote:
From what I've seen in a few discussions on here, the people here seem to have this belief that a PUA successfully seducing a woman (ie getting her attracted to him) is rape. In other words, what this is basically saying is that women are incapable of making rational decisions and it's not their responsibility if they choose to go along with a PUA's seduction and consent to have sex with him afterwards.

Surely you must be outraged at this, right?

Do you also think that a woman wearing a revealing outfit, or doing something else that turns men on, is raping a man? Because, that idea is no more ridiculous and outrageous than what I just described above.

I don't support PUAs, but I by no means think they're rapists or any other kind of criminal, and I certainly don't think women should not be held accountable for willingly going along with it.

Rape is sex without consent, but in this case it was done with willing consent. Consenting to sex then regretting it afterwards doesn't mean you didn't consent in the first place.

No, that isn't rape, it is manipulating someone into intimacy which sadly isn't illegal because tbh 90% of relationships seem to operate on this principle anyway. There seems to be a lot of talk of 'accountability' - I'm not sure what is meant by that. I mean how do you hold the woman accountable for letting herself be seduced - the worst part is already done? Does she have to go around wearing a *I am a slut* t-shirt as well to demonstrate to other PUAs that she is an easy mark?

What is it that you want, punk?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

Seducing a woman is not rape.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm

I thought we were talking about psychopaths using their PUA skills to lure potential victims, so they can rape/kill them. :shrug:

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm

Not that I consider myself raped, but saying "No" to these pricks is like beating your head against the wall. They pressure and pressure and if you try to get away they follow you and block you in so you can't escape and keep putting on the pressure for you to say yes.

Hence why the moment someone enters my personal zone without my permission I get hostile. No man or woman is worth losing your dignity over.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

I would agree that when you physically restrain a person it no longer becomes seducing.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Venger wrote:

You would have to be a sociopath to be a PUA in the first place.

Not necessarily true.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 1:51 am

I'll say what I said in the other thread:

There's no clear divide between "consensual" and "rape". It's a spectrum. Things like pressure, trickery, and certain forms of coercion start to move the slider from the "consensual" end of the spectrum to the "rape" end.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 8:25 am

MCalavera wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Venger wrote:

You would have to be a sociopath to be a PUA in the first place.

Not necessarily true.