Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 12:13 am

These are the ones I remember:
According to
My mother:
- I am fanatic, singleminded and can’t talk about anything else (than my special interests)
- she says she also has interests but they don’t capture her the way mine do me
- she can never predict how I will respond to something
- I either absolutely love something or I really hate it and nothing can motivate me
- I can’t cooperate

My father:
- I don’t know what sort of nonverbal signals I send out
-I walk stiffly

My grandfather:
-I’m hot tempered
-Abrupt and blunt way of speaking
-Original

My grandmother:
-I wasn’t girly
-Not cuddly
-was insensitive and uempathic
(I wasn't asking, she just complained a lot about it. Both my grandparents thought I got too involved in the things I liked)

My teachers:
-No ability for cooperation
-Trudging movements
-No interest in the other pupils
-I refused to be social
-Little participation in needlecraft, woodwork, music and PE
-Difficult and peculiar behaviour
-Too quiet

(I didn’t actually ask my teachers, these are things they have complained about.

Kids:
-Weird
-Unpredictable
-They didn’t get me
-Clumsy
-Outsider
( I didn’t ask them, either; they very willingly shared their views anyway.)

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:01 am

I've only rarely asked questions like this. I did once ask someone why people didn't seem to like me much. He stared at me blankly and changed the subject.

From people at work I've heard that I'm aloof or cool, that I seem unfriendly or -- this one's really funny to me -- scary. Apparently when I ask to see one of the engineers they immediately start asking: "Why? What did I do wrong?" I think that's funny since I've been commended by my boss for taking new engineers "under my wing" and making sure they know the right way to do things and that all of their paperwork was correct. (I'm in the Quality Assurance department.)

My late husband once complained during an argument that I couldn't love anyone but myself -- I guess he meant I was selfish and emotionally distant?

My sister once told me that I was the family's changeling child -- always in my own world where nothing seemed to phaze me.

Regards,

Patricia

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2009, 10:37 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Kajjie wrote:
It says the reasons I'm not normal are:

- this list
- all the other lists I make
- my love of notebooks

These three are not normal? Many people make lists; my wife loves notebooks. I would hardly consider that to be abnormal!

Kajjie wrote:
- talking about irrelevent things
- fascination with death
- weird moods
- not thinking I have to do what I'm told
- not going to P.E. lessons
- having strange friends
- sometimes making noises instead of saying words

I'm sure that you have traits that are indicative of AS, but it's funny how they don't come across to others. Taking that list completely from the context of this discussion doesn't even come close to pointing towards AS as cause.

I think we express ourselves differently than others do, but it's really hard to put into words for whatever reason. People often seem to just "know" though; they can sense it.

It's partially the way it's phrased: 'this list' means that most people wouldn't ask others what is abnormal about them and then write down their answers. My 'fascination with death' was definately a 'special interest' and developed into a full blown obsession. Talking about irrelevent things and my 'attitude' could be a veiwed as a bit ASish, and making odd noises instead of saying noises sometimes I consider to be part of my Aspieness.
I don't know what's so apparently odd about liking to make lists either. I suppose different people have different ideas of what is normal. I think my love of notebooks goes a bit beyond the normal. I used to get <b>so</b> happy when I bought one or got to use one for the first time. I own very many notebooks, mostly with specific purposes. :D