teen accused of stealing identity of autistic friend

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 8:49 pm

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12506104?source=most_emailed

Lakeland teen accused of stealing identity of autistic friend, racking up $35,000 in debt

A Lakeland teen has been charged with 24 felony counts in an alleged identity theft and fraud scheme involving a vulnerable adult — a childhood friend.

James Michael Staricha, 19, racked up more than $35,000 in debt — by way of credit cards, loans, bank accounts and cell phones — using his friend's name and Social Security number, investigators said in a criminal complaint filed in Washington County District Court.

The scheme started in 2005, when Staricha first tried to obtain credit cards, and continued through 2007, the complaint says.

Staricha initially was charged as a juvenile in January. On May 22, he agreed to the prosecution's motion to have him certified as an adult.

He now faces 24 felony charges, including multiple counts of identity theft, false representation, theft of services and credit card fraud. Some of the charges carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine; others, 20 years and $100,000.

"He had quite a few victims here," Assistant Washington County Attorney Sue Harris said. "And not that people who are stealing other people's identities don't do multiples at a time, but I think his case is more serious than our average case."

A working phone number for Staricha could not be found.

Investigators were tipped off to Staricha's operation in September 2007, when Kelly Goar called to say her developmentally disabled son was receiving collection calls and letters for multiple past-due accounts.

"I said, 'Why is the bank calling? Something just isn't right here,' " Goar said in an interview with the Pioneer Press. "I thought, 'I wonder how many are out there?' I started investigating on my own. When I found out the dollar amount, my jaw just dropped. But it kept climbing."

Goar's son, Tyler Larson, now 21, has autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit disorder and learning disabilities. Although he received a high school diploma, his skill level is much below that of a high school senior, Goar said. At this point, Larson is not likely able to live on his own and lives with Goar and her husband, she said.

Larson and Staricha have been friends since elementary school, Goar said.

After several attempts to open credit cards with other people's Social Security numbers, fake Social Security numbers and fake dates of birth, Staricha began using Larson's information, according to the complaint.

And it worked.

Staricha managed to acquire several credit cards and other accounts using Larson's Social Security number and date of birth. He requested two cards for each account — one in Larson's name and one in his own. He usually used his own address or post office box for statements and bills, and often included the name of his computer consulting business, St. Croix Computer Co., the complaint states.

Investigators tallied the total losses to all victims (including Larson, financial institutions and retail vendors) at $35,724.

"With my son, since he has problems ... I don't know that he can read people very well. He's just kind of naive. He's too trustworthy," Goar said. "He's been upset about it the whole time because this kid (Staricha) was supposed to be a friend. But he keeps doing it to him. He finds ways to take advantage of Tyler."

This is not Staricha's first appearance in court.

Last year, he faced a string of charges in connection with multiple incidents, including impersonating a law enforcement officer, domestic abuse, terroristic threats and making an explosive device. Some charges have been dismissed.

In January, he pleaded guilty to a charge of obstructing the legal process; as part of the deal, a misdemeanor charge of domestic abuse was dropped.

In March, he was sentenced to probation and home electronic monitoring in connection with felony charges of making terroristic threats and making an explosive device. He also was ordered to get a psychiatric evaluation, take medications and get his high school equivalency degree.

His next court appearance for the new charges will be July 23.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12506104?source=most_emailed

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 1:16 am

MotherF***er

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 9:34 am

:evil: I'll be happy to beat the #$^@ out of that backstabbing, lazy, f$% headed scum bag, just for you, dear Tyler!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 3:06 pm

This case looks horrible, I would vote for sending the criminal to jail

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.