Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 9:02 am

Does anyone else get seriously affected by the full moon? I'm usually very unsettled over the full moon, can't concentrate, very irritable... and then the sun sets and it's even worse. I become completely unreasonable and filled with rage at night times.

It's not fun, I'm generally a very calm and relaxed kind of guy.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:04 am

I'm affected by the full moon. For those who believe in astrology (and I realize probably most don't) the signs Cancer and Pisces are strongly influenced by the moon. I have Cancer rising. For people who don't know their rising or moon sign, you may not be aware that it is Cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 9:10 am

I used to not believe in astrology, but when I considered the pronounced effects the moon has, it sloshes the water around with no bother (and we're mostly water), it's not a hard stretch to believe that other "heavenly bodies" have an influence on our mood and general outlook, and that being born into such an influence could have a profound impact on your whole demeanour and outlook.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:31 am

I'm an astrologer and yes Full Moon, especially in water signs are very difficult! So are first and last quarter Moons during the square. My emotions get really out of whack putting it lightly and I become touchy over everything. I get very depressed when the Moon is in Cancer, Full or not because it conjuncts my natal Saturn, ugh.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:35 am

For me it feels like an adrenaline rush but I think it may be due to the tides or the gravitational pull or something

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 9:38 am

It's very odd for me. It's not every full moon, some of them I'm absolutely fine. But today, I'm filled with a sense that Things Are Not Right, and normal every day little annoyances have me wanting to throw things at the wall, and that includes people!

Lioness, I'm a Libra, if that helps any. Is there anyway I can prepare for this, and know which moons will be safe, and which ones mean I have to lock myself in a cage for 3 days?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:52 am

I've never had a noticeable correlation to a full moon and my mood. For what it's worth, I'm a Leo.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:04 am

Can't see how the moon's gravity affects one's innate mood. Percieved weight? Yes (not that you'll notice it, as it won't effect Earth's gravity to any discernible amount). Tides? Yes. Mood? No, unless seeing the moon in its various phases depresses or uplifts you.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:14 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
I've never had a noticeable correlation to a full moon and my mood. For what it's worth, I'm a Leo.

I am a Leo too...and I HAVE notices a correlation to the full moon and my mood..but mostly because my menstrual cycle is synced up to the full moon....

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:15 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Can't see how the moon's gravity affects one's innate mood. Percieved weight? Yes (not that you'll notice it, as it won't effect Earth's gravity to any discernible amount). Tides? Yes. Mood? No, unless seeing the moon in its various phases depresses or uplifts you.

Seeing the full moon illuminate my house at night cheers me up. I think it's great that we get to see full moons when it's completely dark outside.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 10:37 am

Danielismyname wrote:

One of the great secrets of the universe is that things happen and don't happen completely separate from our understanding of them. I don't understand how the earth can be spinning but I don't feel it moving. My lack of understanding doesn't bring the world grinding to a halt, or throw me off it at great speed.

Too many things in this world are discounted simply because "I" don't understand it.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:45 am

Irvy wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

One of the great secrets of the universe is that things happen and don't happen completely separate from our understanding of them. I don't understand how the earth can be spinning but I don't feel it moving. My lack of understanding doesn't bring the world grinding to a halt, or throw me off it at great speed.

Too many things in this world are discounted simply because "I" don't understand it.

More accurately, "we" as a society don't understand it.

While I agree with you, this isn't a great example. The reason you don't feel like you are spinning through space has a scientific explanation. While the position of Saturn with respect to the earth may have some quantifiable effect on those who are born at the time, the reason has yet to be explained by science.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:47 am

Earth's weight keeps you on it; Earth spins due to how it was made, which was a huge cloud of swirling gas and dust that started to collapse under its gravity (weight). Don't feel its spin because you were made here under its gravity; try standing in a chamber that creates greater gravity than Earth, and you feel it. Sun's weight keeps Earth in stable orbit (also made Earth, but that's another subject).

You can't be thrown off Earth because you simply don't have enough energy in your jump to overcome its gravity and achieve the required exit velocity.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:50 am

I've noticed a correlation between the moon state and my mood, but it's a very loose correlation. It's also very difficult to keep track of, because the moment you remember you're trying to work out whether your mood has been changed, you invalidate the experiment. 8)

Both the Moon's gravity and light can and do directly affect us, as people have mentioned, but it's what that effect actually does to us that isn't understood. There's no need to invoke astrology though. :)

The year is still young.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 11:05 am

It's all a matter of what you choose to believe and accept. What science and religion and all the rest tell us is proven and true are nothing more than "the best answer we have right now, and we're pretty sure it's right". New data could be discovered down the line that forces us to either refute the new evidence and cling onto falsehoods, or throw out the text books and rewrite them.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:22 am

Irvy wrote:
It's all a matter of what you choose to believe and accept. What science and religion and all the rest tell us is proven and true are nothing more than "the best answer we have right now, and we're pretty sure it's right". New data could be discovered down the line that forces us to either refute the new evidence and cling onto falsehoods, or throw out the text books and rewrite them.

Well, science at least is based on demonstrable evidence. That is, someone can actually show you why they believe in gravity, for instance, or demonstrate why they believe that the acceleration of falling bodies with respect to the relation of gravity on earth is always 9.8 m/(s sq).

Now, there's reason to not believe a theory based on demonstrable evidence. Perhaps there are variables which cannot be explained by or are not fully understood by current science. This is where pseudo-science comes into the picture.