Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 1:26 pm

Pretty mild here. Though I have been told I am not a team player and have sandbagged people. I am also told I am weird. I don't know what I do to make people say that.

As a child I loved spending time in the dryer. When I finally grew large enough for it to hurt while trying to get out of the dryer I quit. I have always liked squeezing into tight, dark corners. And my favorite activity was reading a book in the woods and exploring club moss, reindeer moss, mushrooms, hummingbirds, and the insects living in logs. The people I considered my friends were 65 and above. I would take the things I had made from egg cartons and things I found on the ground and walk up the hill to show to my friends.

I never knew until I graduated that I had been considered ret*d. I don't know what the teachers thought I was doing under the slide with books. I could read long before I went to kindergarten. My favorite reading was the Golden Encyclopedia and then the Encyclopediae Brittanica.

My mother was constantly telling me how I should have reacted socially (when we were alone to save me embarrassment)

I was born depressed and allergic to the world. With medication I am better on both counts.

My husband liked me when he met me because I wasn't girly and thought logically.

When I was a child, I thought all men looked exactly alike and with difficulty I could tell the girls apart, usually by what they wore.

I loved learning. I hated being with students that made fun of me constantly. I preferred talking to the teachers. The kids never wanted to talk about anything interesting, just about each other, and I couldn't tell them apart. I remember telling jokes that made sense only to me. Once, at recess, I held the corners of my red coat, and flapped them at people and squawked at them. I could not understand why they could not see that I was being a red bird.

People ask me where I got my accent. I was born here!! Sometimes as a I child I talked in King James English because I liked the rhythm better.

I wanted the same food and same clothes every day. Still cut out the tags. I have trained myself not to have temper tantrums when the day's schedule is suddenly changed, but I still hate it. I had to train myself to look into people's eyes. It was decades before it stopped making me over anxious.

I toe walked for a time, and also tried many different gaits. I am clumsy and picked last for sports.

There are many other things, but this is getting too long. I am self-diagnosed. I gave birth to a brilliant NT son, a brilliant son with asperger's, and a daughter with autism plus who is non-verbal.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 1:32 pm

I don't even consider myself self-dxed because I am not sure, but the level of impairment I have gone through has gone down as I aged. When I was younger, I was very impaired with emotional outbursts and as my school reports say, no social skills at all. Now my therapist says I'm not impaired at all.

Depends on what you look at when it comes to me too, I'm great at eye contact and having conversations now, but I stim like crazy, still have meltdowns when stressed or even shutdowns, and very, very obsessive over things.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

08 Jun 2009, 1:55 pm

I think I have always been mild but it seems mine was worse when I was a child because I was very trusting and naive and gullible. I didn't understand people. I was never a little professor or a walking encyclopedia when I was real little until I got to age ten when I started to read about my obsessions than just thinking about them. I read late, talked late so I am not like any typical aspie. I didn't learn to read maps until I was ten and that was when everyone in my class was learning to read them. Then I got hooked on them but I don't think I was obsessed.

I don't think it's ever been tested where I'm at but my parents agree I'm mild, I think I'm mild, my bf says the same. My mother has said in the past my AS can be really bad but that's when I am stressed or when I get anxiety, it brings out more of my symptoms. Relationships I've had in the past has brought more of my symptoms out and impaired me. My ex thought mine was moderate even though I hardly have sensory issues and my coordination is good and my hearing is poor compare to people on the spectrum, I have no troubles ordering my food and he does, I don't have social anxiety and he does, I'm more flexible than he is, I also understand people yelling doesn't always mean they are mad and my ex didn't even know that. He seemed to have worse AS than me but it was still mild because I couldn't even see it and wouldn't even guess he has it if I didn't know him and the fact he could hold down a job and take care of himself well without any help.

I think I'm very mild because I read on here and after being with my ex about what problems you guys have I don't have and things are worse for you guys and not for me so I think it makes me very mild.

neuroatipica
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2009, 3:05 pm

As a child I had real trouble socializing. I remember sitting down on a bench during recess at preschool unable to make friends. I hated PE, I am useless when it comes to team sports. I hated special days like science fairs. I usually was teased because I didn't participate in class discussions and when I spoke I spoke really soft. I was also teased because I spoke all the letters in words. I learned to read at 4.
My husband is frequently telling me I spoke too much... I frequently say the things exactly as I think them. It is too dificult for me to "see" the interpretation and use others can make of my words.
I now have a son diagnosed AS and see many aspie traits in me too.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:08 pm

I'm mild in terms of core autistic traits as an adult. My co-morbid emotional problems are not mild. I have a sensitive, neurotic, socially withdrawn personality. I feel I'm very weird and different from everyone I meet, including aspies.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:30 pm

I'd say I am mildly on the spectrum, apart from the social skills and the obsessions, my traits are not that bad.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2009, 7:36 pm

I have AS and can pass for an NT. You would really have to understand ASD to realize that my symptoms are actually quite obvious.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2009, 7:38 am

Yes, this is me exactly. I am not diagnosed, and probably never will be.

I had many symptoms of AS as a young child and they have (moslty) decreased as I've got older, not that I don't still have problems and Aspie characteristics.

Regarding the food thing, I forget that's stereotype autistic. :lol: I eat 'systematically' as my best friend calls it; I eat the vegetables, then the meat, then the potato.

I acutally have very few problems with social interaction now, although I do make mistakes. I was more socially innapropriate when I was younger, although I've always had friends and been interested in people (although still very much an introvert).
I do the funny accent thing, and talking too loudly.
I stim.
I freak out and shut down. I'm not 100% certain these are Aspie meltdowns and shutdowns.
I have a 'receptive language problem'.
I get special interests/obsessions, although I don't always have one, and they vary in 'weirdness'.
I have problems with anxiety and depressive symptoms, although I'm getting better through therapy.
I have had a lot of problems at school with getting into trouble and that, I suppose I have behavioural problems.
Oh, and I'm really out-of-it. :D

I don't have sensory issues, although when I was younger I drove my parents mad when I needed new shoes, by refusing to buy shoes that were uncomfortable and declaring at least 90% of shoes uncomfortable. This is at least partly to do with the shape of my feet, though. I do get overwhelmed by flashing lights, or in places where everything is very 'busy' - lots of movement and noise.
I have always had facial expressions and body language, although I may have been a bit delayed in understanding others nonverbal communication.

Basically, I come across as normal or just a bit odd most of the time, but the more frightened/upset I am the more autistic I get.

Thanks for this thread. I feel I fit somewhere a bit, now.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 9:42 am

I was diagnosed as a small child and with early intervention, which was funded by the provincial government (Alberta), I am able to function like any other person.I held a job in a grocery store for 2 years in Vegreville until I quit to move to Red Deer and go to college.I have my drivers license and I live independantly, however, due to my autistic traits, I dont make many friends.The only people I have really talked to were my teachers, my landlady (when paying rent), and the bartender.Sometimes I can get along socially, but that is when me and a few others in the bar have had a couple of drinks.I have attempted to make friends, but failed miserably. but once they started noticing I was different, I was rejected like yesterdays news.The recession is making things more difficult.Employers are now more bent on discriminating against aspies.I have been finding it hard to find a summer job here in Red Deer.They would rather hire someone who can barely speak english than they would a Canadian who is an aspie.