Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 1:50 pm

How many of you have been diagnosed with both Aspergers and Schizophrenia.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:03 pm

You can not be diagnosed with both. The DSM defines them as mutually exclusive

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:26 pm

Orwell wrote:

The criterion seems to say so, but if you read the expanded text in which the criteria are explained in detail the DSM-IV-TR says that
DSM-IV-TR wrote:
By definition the diagnosis is not given if the criteria are met for [...] for Schizophrenia (although the diagnosis of Asperger's Disorder and Schizophrenia may coexist if the onset of the Asperger's Disorder clearly preceded the onset of Schizophrenia)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 4:00 pm

Orwell wrote:

Never the tracks shall meet topic

Yes, such a dual diagnosis would be absurd.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2009, 5:22 pm

It happens, though probably rarely because both conditions are uncommon. There are a few members here with schizophrenia or similar disorders (like schizoaffective disorder) who were born autistic/AS. The schizophrenia developed in the teenage years or adulthood.

(I have only AS btw.)

Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 7:48 pm

Orwell wrote:

Does the same apply for high-functioning autism?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:09 pm

Interesting.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:20 pm

I don't see why not, however, the two are completely different things.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2009, 8:52 pm

How do I tell you that you are hearing fake things when you hear real things my ears are not sensitive enough to hear?

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:58 pm

As I understand it, the major distinction between schizo and ASD is that folks on the spectrum do not have core personality disintegration, whereas schizos do. We may have intense fantasies, but we KNOW they're fantasies. We don't run around in foil helmets or sincerely think god has commanded us to take all the bolts out of microwave towers to stop the alien transmissions.

If we dream of blowing up transmission towers, we know it's our dream, not god's. :D

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:10 pm

The DSM has been wrong before.

Schizophrenic tendencies seem common with aspergers. I'm not sure that it's actual schizophrenia. It may just be a commorbid which looks like it.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:27 pm

gbollard wrote:
The DSM has been wrong before.

Schizophrenic tendencies seem common with aspergers. I'm not sure that it's actual schizophrenia. It may just be a commorbid which looks like it.

I think that's why there's the distinction, otherwise they would diagnose schizophrenia any time that someone with AS presented with psychotic symptoms. There should be another axis for psychiatric diagnosis, I think, or a subdivision of axis 1.. the primary clinical diagnosis differentiated from diagnosies that are partly symptoms of the major ones.
Is AS axis 1 or axis 2? (Axis 1 is clinical diagnosis, Axis 2 is personality disorders and mental retardation, Axis 3 is general medical conditions, Axis 4 is socio-enviornmental factors, and Axis 5 is the global assessment of functioning.)
I think that the meanings of Axis 1 & 2 need to be overhauled, so that overall persistant conditions can be better differentiated from disorders that are more symptom than actual disorder-- things like depression and anxiety that go alone only in particularly minor cases. I need to organize that idea a bit better, I guess.. I guess neurology and psychiatry will have to travel farther into the realm of actual science before that can happen, where you actually know what's wrong when making a diagnosis, rather than diagnosing based on symptoms. Psychiatric diagnosis based on symptoms sucks, it's like saying someone has a cough. Could be TB, could be smoke inhalation. You can't effectively treat something that's diagnosed purely by symptoms.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:45 pm

Read what Sora said in regards to the DSM; if you were diagnosed with AS as a child, and then started experiencing the positive symptoms of Schizophrenia as a teenager, you then can be given a label of Schizophrenia in addition to AS (it explicitly states such).

To add, the negative symptoms of Schizophrenia are quite close to the manifestation of AS; the lack of social and emotional reciprocity, the problems with nonverbal cues, social isolation/withdrawal, and etcetera.

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2015, 10:15 pm

What positive symptoms of schizophrenia/psychosis are you actually experiencing?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 1:44 am

This thread is over 6 years old and there is no point reviving it at this stage, as the original participants are probably long gone. If you want to join a current discussion then there is a forum dedicated to psychological conditions, or you could start a thread there about a similar topic.

B19
Moderator.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 5:42 am

B19 wrote:
This thread is over 6 years old and there is no point reviving it at this stage, as the original participants are probably long gone. If you want to join a current discussion then there is a forum dedicated to psychological conditions, or you could start a thread there about a similar topic.

B19
Moderator.

I made a new one.

Please go to this link: viewtopic.php?t=296062