Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2009, 9:54 pm

do you ever get to the point where, to protect yourself from being seen as "too serious", you just switch to a general assumption that NT's are, by default, ALWAYS joking, and then have it backfire on you on the occasion they're not? i hate when that happens.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 9:58 pm

It has yet to backfire on me. I guess I must be lucky.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 12:02 am

subliculous wrote:
do you ever get to the point where, to protect yourself from being seen as "too serious", you just switch to a general assumption that NT's are, by default, ALWAYS joking, and then have it backfire on you on the occasion they're not? i hate when that happens.

I got that impression from watching situation comedies. I have had people tell me that 'all life isn't funny' and 'we are trying to be serious, here'. But I thought I knew better. I lived for the laugh track and knew when to make a scene ending joke. I also realized that most every problem will be solved by the end of the show, too, so why be so serious about it all?
I went through several decades before I learned different.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 2:19 am

i hate it when that happens.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 3:01 am

From watching comedy shows, I'm the one that's usually joking. Sometimes I struggle to know when NTs are joking and when they aren't though.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 8:21 am

Joking is a powerful weapon.

Think of the stereotype of the catty woman who says nasty things while seeming to be charming.

Think of Tony from the tv series NCIS. He is a sexist pig who smarmes up to women and puts other men down. If anyone gets offended he can say "hey, I'm only joking. Can't you take a joke?"

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2009, 2:32 pm

subliculous wrote:
No, Everone always thinks i'm serious when in fact i'm just a goofball ! !

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2009, 2:59 pm

YES! But I'm light-hearted and struggle with the super-serious in general, and NTs in particular.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 9:32 pm

Yes. All the freaking time. Whenever I start thinking I get the pattern of jokes and stuff, I totally screw it up. I don't know how the heck people are supposed to tell. There's no freaking DIFFERENCE.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm

You just have to be really dry and chill about everything and treat jokes the same as serious stuff.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 8:15 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
Yes. All the freaking time. Whenever I start thinking I get the pattern of jokes and stuff, I totally screw it up. I don't know how the heck people are supposed to tell. There's no freaking DIFFERENCE.

ah, there it is. We are supposed to KNOW. . .(arrrrrrggggggghhh!)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 12:12 pm

I assume when someone says something that is 1. outrageous or 2. Totally opposite of what should be said in that situation it is a joke. Like when someone says it's a lovely day outside when it is raining is usually sarcastic or joking. Sometimes I screw up too, like for example my therapist said parents love the flour filled balloons he hands out as stress balls. Why would a parent like something so potentially messy? So I assumed he was joking or being sarcastic. Nope. >_<;

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 5:43 pm

Angnix wrote:
I assume when someone says something that is 1. outrageous or 2. Totally opposite of what should be said in that situation it is a joke. Like when someone says it's a lovely day outside when it is raining is usually sarcastic or joking. Sometimes I screw up too, like for example my therapist said parents love the flour filled balloons he hands out as stress balls. Why would a parent like something so potentially messy? So I assumed he was joking or being sarcastic. Nope. >_<;

Haven't you ever had one of those? :B They don't really break, like.. ever. Not that I've experienced. Unless you bite the crap out of them, but that will make a mess out of lots of things.