Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2009, 4:21 pm

Can be about literally anything

1. The most commonly mis-spelt word in the english language (just in the UK) is "definitely" - it's normally mis-spelt as "definately".

2. When a goldfish is floating at the top of its tank sideways it is not dead - it is in fact constipated.

Feel free to add more :)

Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:25 pm

Without mucus your stomach would digest itself..

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:37 pm

HIV and the virus that caused the bubonic plague are both retroviruses.

The capital of Belize used to be Belize City, but then the capital was moved inland to Belmopan due to hurricanes battering the coast.

y es como un semestre"

willa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:48 pm

Barns are/were painted red because the pigment that used to be used to dye paint red, oxidized rust, is highly poisiones to molds and fungus. So red paint helped prevent wood from rotting.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:50 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

What's the difference between a retrovirus and a regular virus? I am tempted to imagine that like matter and antimatter they cancel each other out, but I guess that can't be so, or you'd be able to cure AIDS by falling ill with some other disease.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 4:54 pm

Apparently 'typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

Last edited by Hala on 15 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:59 pm

At night before going to sleep I read a bit from my Feitegids (Afrikaans word for "fact guide") which is a kind of condensed encyclopaedia, but a topical one rather than a strictly alphabetical one.

I remember reading that Antarctica has a surface area of 14 million square kilometres and a population of between 1000 and 4000 people.

I also remember that the official language of Andorra is Catalan. The most densely populated country in Europe is Monaco. And the largest lake in the world is the Caspian Sea.

For some reason it is easier for me to remember all those country stats than to remember the details of famous sportsmen or singers.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2009, 5:26 pm

Hala wrote:

I didn't know that, you learn something new everyday so they say.

Just thought of another one.

The longest word in the english language that can be written that consists of just one vowels is "strengths".

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:36 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

What's the difference between a retrovirus and a regular virus? I am tempted to imagine that like matter and antimatter they cancel each other out, but I guess that can't be so, or you'd be able to cure AIDS by falling ill with some other disease.

Retroviruses are just a "family" of different viruses, much like mammals are a "family" of animals.

The fact that the two viruses are both retroviruses is significant because some scientists are using infected tissue from the bodies of bubonic plague victims to help find a cure for HIV.

y es como un semestre"

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

Professional bike rider can sustain an energy output of 450W for up to 90 minutes. The average speed of cycling champions in an individual time trial (no drafting!) is typically around 33-34 mph on a flat course.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 8:54 pm

10 million south americans still speak quechua, the "inca" language
2 million speak aymara

6 million speak maya and
1,5 million speak nahuatl, the "aztek" language.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 12:17 am

robbokris wrote:
Can be about literally anything

uh-oh...

* Acnestasis is the part of your back you can't reach when you try to scratch it.

* The proper name for the piano is pianoforte because it was the first keyboard instrument in Western music that could be played dynamically ("piano" for "soft" and "forte" for "loud").

* A dolphin can use the hemisphere's of its brain independently of each other, allowing one hemisphere to sleep while the other remains active.

* Pinto beans have the highest fiber content of any legume.

* Adolf Hitler had one testicle.

* Most of the Brazil nuts purchased in the US came from Paraguay.

* Toll House chocolate chip cookies were invented when the proprietress of the Toll House Inn in PA tried making chocolate cookies, but was disappointed when the chocolate did not melt throughout the cookie during baking, instead producing a cookie with pieces of chocolate in it.

* The tread pattern on a tire is actually a very efficient pumping mechanism designed to move water away so the tire can contact the ground.

* What we now call the diesel engine was originally designed to run on vegetable oil until it was discovered that it could also run on a by-product of the gasoline manufacturing process (diesel fuel).

* There are three words in the English language that do not have proper rhymes: orange, purple, and silver.

* Richard Hertz, the founder of Hertz Rent-A-Car, had established a taxi company in Chicago. He commissioned a study by Northwestern University to find out what color was the most visible from a distance. The result: yellow. Thus, the prevalence of the color yellow among taxi cabs.

* The US Secret Service got its name because its mission at the time of its founding, combating counterfeiters, was thought to be so dangerous that the identities of its agents were kept secret.

I better stop now...

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 1:19 am

This year is the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Cent, and four commemorative designs for the reverse of the coin have been released by the U.S. Mint.

The same side of the moon always faces the Earth.

I like gummi bears. :lmao:

Those who know, don't speak.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 1:34 am

all dogs are left handed

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jun 2009, 1:46 am

There's a Statue of Liberty in France

The former things have passed away."

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:48 am

Hala wrote:
Apparently 'typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.

Longest???? maybe in english
Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas (60 letters)
meaning mechanic who helps mechanic to fix turbine motors :lol: