Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 5:01 pm

The power of judicial review was not granted to the US Supreme Court by the Constitution, but was actually claimed by them as a power implied by the Constitution.

The male platypus actually has a form of poison that is injected when it scratches something with its hind claws. The poison is not deadly, but causes severe pain that cannot be controlled by morphine.

We all know about smoking and secondhand smoke, but what about thirdhand smoke? Thirdhand smoke is the smoke and chemicals that attach themselves to clothing, carpeting, etc.

Edit: Oh, right: Louisiana is the only state in the US that does not use the English system of common law.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
robbokris wrote:
* The tread pattern on a tire is actually a very efficient pumping mechanism designed to move water away so the tire can contact the ground.

This is highly debatable. Compared to slicks, this would be true. Cheaper tyres use different patterns and compounds which affect grip. More expensive tyres have a ONE direction only tyre which helps aid water away from the centre of the car. The best tyre pattern I have seen was on my Toyo Proxes

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 6:28 pm

^^ The tire tread pattern is supposed to prevent Hydroplaning and is not there to increase friction with dry pavement. A slick tire offers the best friction against dry pavement!

Hydroplaning is typically a function of vehicle speed and tire pressure (other factors such as pavement type, road condition, oversteering, sudden acceleration etc... play a part too.) Loooong story short, hydroplaning is likely to occur at speeds cars typically travel at with typical tire pressures used (usually around 35psi). So to prevent hydroplaning the car tires have treads!

My random fact! Road bicycle tires should not have tread because at a typical bike tire pressure of 110 PSI the bike would need to travel at over 100 mph to hydroplane! So competitive cyclists use slick tires. Slicks offer the most traction and are also the fastest because of lower rolling resistance. So why do road bikes at your local sporting goods store have treaded tires? Marketing! That's why. The public would perceive the slick tires as inadequate or even dangerous so they aren't being sold except on high end bikes in specialty bike shops.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:40 pm

Did you know a saltwater fish is constantly in danger of drowning?

The osmotic pressure differential between the higher concentration of salts in sea water and it's lower concentration of body salinity, moves the salt water in.

Conversely a freshwater fish needs to gulp water to stay -hydrated.

Izzy_Dolphin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2009, 11:03 pm

Lobsters can be right clawed or left clawed... they have 2 different types of claw, the crusher and the pincer, and there's no preference for which side each is on.

The dolphin looses a layer of skin approximately every 2 minutes.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 11:18 pm

Dilbert wrote:

My random fact! Road bicycle tires should not have tread because at a typical bike tire pressure of 110 PSI the bike would need to travel at over 100 mph to hydroplane! So competitive cyclists use slick tires. Slicks offer the most traction and are also the fastest because of lower rolling resistance. So why do road bikes at your local sporting goods store have treaded tires? Marketing! That's why. The public would perceive the slick tires as inadequate or even dangerous so they aren't being sold except on high end bikes in specialty bike shops.

Not to nit pick, but I have to :D I race with tires that have tread, so do many racers. I use Vittoria Diamante Pro tires, and I will not use anything else but those tires. The middle part of the tire is slick, but toward the sides they have a good amount of tread (for a road tire anyway) They work so great in crits, they stick to the road like glue in the corners.

My random fact, our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm

Farts smell because of two chemicals: hydrogen sulfide and ethyl mercaptan.