Do you swing your arms when you walk?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2009, 4:19 pm

when i was little i got into my zone and walked in a demented over the top military type march, crazy arm movements that my mum always told me to stop!
now i generally have my hands in my pockets or by my sides with both index fingers pointing at the ground, or if i'm wearing my backpack i hold the straps up by my chest :)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 10:45 pm

No (it's an ASD thingy)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 11:22 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
No (it's an ASD thingy)

Lab Pet was going to post the equivalent (& I do not swing my arms when I walk). And, as I understand, this IS a trait of ASD. I never thought too much about my gait. I move well so that does suffice. I'm a smallish female and I do 'sway' when I walk, which can be a feminine trait, I guess. I did have a nurse (then another med practioner) mention my gait - in reference to ASD. Very hard for me to stand still; I stim when standing.

But, on the positive side - I've had some tell me (men) I have a sexy sway!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 4:36 am

No.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Punny_Name
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2009, 9:22 pm

No, somebody commented once and I just told them I was very lazy.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 2:39 pm

Sometimes I do, sometimes I do not. I have had several people think that I have a odd walk. I am known to sometimes walk with my arms by my sides and without them moving.

I am thankful I do not have a silly walk, watch the following if you want to see a very odd walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlBUglE6Hc

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 2:41 pm

I only started swinging my arms while walking when I was in my twenties,in public at least. When I'm at home I'm relaxed and my arms always move.
Apparently the non-swinging of arms is one of the traits that Tony Attwood attributes as likely to point towards Aspeger's.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 3:17 pm

That's weird, because my arms did swing a little naturally, (like NTs) and then I stopped and tended to hold them stiff after people started mocking me and imitating the swing. (Some kids obviously have no lives if they're scrutinising other kids that closely so they may bully :roll: )

Now I'm really uncomfortable and aware of it, and so I have one hand on the strap of my bag and the other in my pocket or holding my iPod so I don't have to feel so self conscious.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:50 am

Mne are swinging naturally, or in my pocket or hoodie or holding my cell phone and ipod or coffee or on the strap of my bag.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:35 am

I hadn't really noticed that much before what other people do with their arms.. But, after reading this thread, i started watching people at work today and it is kind of amazing how much most people swing their arms! It seems more natural for mine to be more still, except for just the very slight swing that the motion from walking causes(i don't stiffen them or anything, i just let them hang mostly when i'm not putting them in my pocket or fiddling with something). I can't believe i haven't really paid enough attention to other peoples' walking to notice the whole arm swing, but, yeah, it's funny, lol.

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2009, 4:35 am

my arms are often still when I run let alone walking.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 12:03 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
No (it's an ASD thingy)

If I should get diagnosed with ASD, I will be tempted to look at the doctor and complain, "...but my arms swing when I walk!"

hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 2:00 pm

I never swing my arms when I walk, they are usually clenched still or something :roll:

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:33 pm

If I could walk/swagger like Vince McMahon (the Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment), I would.

Now he swings his arms :)

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:17 pm

Yeah, i do so randomly <.< :p Makes me look bizarre sometimes...

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 4:11 am

Come to think of it, i actually do swing my arm a lot of the time if i'm holding something in my hand. Otherwise, no.