Do you swing your arms when you walk?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 3:24 am

Quote:
No, absolutely not. And when I noticed other people doing it (middle/late elementary school) I thought it looked stupid and apelike.

LOL that's exactly what I thought at that age too! I just remember sitting one say observing the way people moved and thinking how ridiculous it looked! All that swinging and moving when they speak! It made no sense! I personally have always walked with my arms held tightly against my chest (often fiddle with my fingers too) and now I have hemi-dystonia which makes my right arm twist up so it goes where it wants really!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 12:34 pm

If I don't have my hands in my pockets, one of them swings, but the other one doesn't.

i_wanna_blue wrote:

To go off topic for a second, I finally saw Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show the other day and it was amazing =D

Now they just need to bring it to America =(

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2009, 3:28 pm

I used to not move my upper body and arms at all when walking, but then someone told me that I walked weirdly, so I decided to attempt to consciously swing my arms when walking. This probably makes me look even more odd when I walk, because the rest of my body is completely stiff and still.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2009, 4:05 pm

I make myself do it as a conscious effort, because I used to get made fun of for not swinging my arms whilst walking back in school. It doesn't feel very natural, and some days I still just put my hands in my pockets because I can't get the sync going. i.e. the arm and leg on the same side will move together rather than alternating forwards and backwards.

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:30 pm

I think tomorrow I'm going to town, sit on a bench and watch how many people pass me, swinging their arms...

It's never even occurred to me that people do this a lot...
Especially not to the point where they'd bully other people for not swinging their arms :0

I used to keep my arms tightly folded/crossed when walking... but my mum'd always yell at me:p
She said it looked like I was ill or something and to keep my arms by my side.
I still cross/fold my arms though, when I don't have a sleeve or bag to hold on to.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:50 pm

slightly. it looks weird when people's arms are swinging back and forth and back and forth...it's so hypnotizing.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:00 am

I never know what to do with my hands. I'll always start thinking "hmm... i need to be doing something with my hands... but what? having them still doesn't seem right, but if i swing them then i might swing them too much and that would look strange. maybe i should put them in my pocket or mess with the side of my shirt?" So i just do whatever i feel like in the time. They'll often be in my pockets, or one in my pocket, or messing with something. If i'm fiddling with something, then i don't have to worry about what to do with them. It's confusing.

Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 4:04 am

1234 wrote:
I think tomorrow I'm going to town, sit on a bench and watch how many people pass me, swinging their arms...

So I went, and watched...

I'm amazed... people actually swing their arms... EVERYONE swings their arms:0
It didn't matter where I looked. It's amazing.

I had trouble trying not to laugh :oops:

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 9:25 am

Sometimes they swing but most of the time my hands are in the pockets.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2009, 9:46 am

1234 wrote:
It's never even occurred to me that people do this a lot...
Especially not to the point where they'd bully other people for not swinging their arms :0

Yeah, any excuse, eh? That's high school for you...

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 10:04 am

My arms swing at my sides when I am not holding something. I don't walk with my fists clenched. I sometimes walk with my hands in my pockets, but that is about stemming with the items that I have in my pocket.

Several years ago, my Mother noticed that my Dad's arms had stopped swinging at his side as he walked, and they made an appointment with a Neurologist and discovered he had Parkinson's Disease. I am not saying that folks here might have Parkinson's but I am wondering if there is some correlation there.

Last edited by willmark on 23 Jun 2009, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 10:33 am

I do swing my arms if I have nothing on me, I think... if I am wearing my purse on my shoulder, that arm is usually resting on the purse with the hand holding the strap. I love to swing my arms, it feels great. Perhaps I go a bit overboard with this, though? I went to a crowded amusement park and several people got whacked by my hands because they walked too close to me :?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 1:37 pm

Nope. I was recognized to have a weird gait since I was a little kid.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2009, 1:56 pm

^ I had to go to gait therapy when I was little. My walk used to be very, very bizarre.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:43 pm

Quote:
I am not saying that folks here might have Parkinson's but I am wondering if there is some correlation there.

I don't know if this is interesting or not, but hemi-dystonia is relataed to Parkinsons, just it only gives you the tremor and none of the mental deterioration. I often cross my arms, I hate having them flopped at the side... It's uncomfortable.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2009, 4:19 pm

when i was little i got into my zone and walked in a demented over the top military type march, crazy arm movements that my mum always told me to stop!
now i generally have my hands in my pockets or by my sides with both index fingers pointing at the ground, or if i'm wearing my backpack i hold the straps up by my chest :)