Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 2:46 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Maybe the whole 2012 thing will end up being a huge self-fulfilling prophecy?

that is my thoughts

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2009, 9:35 pm

If thats the case lets hope its not to late to stop it because if does happen one must remeber nothing is set in stone.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 3:23 pm

2012 will mean one thing...Another Presidential election

:roll:

The movie looks good. Am a BIG sci-fi nerd.

If something is scheduled for 2012, no one knows.
When we get closer to 2012, everything will fluctuate like crazy!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 10:25 pm

Although the concept of knowing before-hand of the end of the world is something that re-occurs regularly and is regularly proven to be nonsense it does provide a window of opportunity to commercial enterprises to gain some profit from panicked idiots. And since a very large sector of humanity is idiotic an enterprising businessman can do well in the temporary generation of fear. The only business that has done well in the continuously generated atmosphere of fear from individual death is religion but false general fears do present a commercial opportunity.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm

scorpileo wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
Maybe the whole 2012 thing will end up being a huge self-fulfilling prophecy?

that is my thoughts

I think we'll have to keep tabs of who was in this thread and have a big round of beers (or shots) online in a chat room as the clock hits 12:00 AM on 1/1/2013.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 9:05 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
2012 will mean one thing...Another Presidential election

:roll:

Palin 2012 - the end is near!

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:49 am

Well, i did some digging into this matter. For some strange reason, this whole bit has to do with the Mayan method of keeping time. 00.00.00.00.00 where each group is changed on a 20 day cycle (so the first 5 days of the calendar would be 00.00.00.00.05, and 20 days would be 00.00.00.01.00, based on a 365 days/year system). Supposedly, they think there is something significant about 13.00.00.00.00. Well, i was particularly bored one day and decided to calculate this date for myself . . . according to historical records, most believe that this calendar's starting point was somewhere around 11 or 13 August 3114 BC (from wikipedia). Well, i calculated the days (since roughtly each grouping of zeros marks an exponent of 20 (20^4.20^3.20^2.20.00). So, i calculated the number of days from said date to Dec. 20, 2012 (or whatever it is). So 13.00.00.00.00 represents 13 X 20^4 days. So, calculating the days alone, from 11 Aug 3114 to Dec 20, 2012 is 1,872,411.25 days whereas 13 x 20^ 4 is only 2,080,000, so that number is off by a good 207,599.75 days. Thats a difference of 568.4 years . . . 13.00.00.00.00 is actually the year 2580/2581. (Calculations made with respect to 365.25 days/year to accommodate for leap years). My calculations may be off by a few days, but i think the error is pretty small. Comments or other calculations?

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2009, 9:11 pm

If one looks at the mayan calender the world continues after 2012 but its listed has a new era,a new era could mean anything good or bad. I doens't mean will be gone,it amounts to superstitious or crazy conspiracy theroy nuts using a combo of nostrodomus and the calender of culture who's language we do not fully understand yet to support their own fire and brimstone end of the world theories.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 8:33 am

strangeworld15 wrote:
Most people are pretty shook up about the end-date of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar,
predicting the end of the world in Apocalyptic mass perportions. But in my opinion, I really
don't think such prediction's could happen, so far. It could proclaim the new age of civilization and technology and other sorts.

However, if you think otherwise, please comment your opinion's on the 2012 doomsday perdiction's.

Another Y2K. All hot air.

ruveyn

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2009, 2:41 pm

Its all superstitious hocus pocus.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:46 pm

MagnusArmstrong wrote:

When hasnt it been? There have been, "END OF THE WORLD!!" preachings since the 60s and 70s (and probably earlier). My parents recalled ones for 1974, 78, 80 . . . you would think these people would have learned, "What the hell, 5+ prophecies and not a damn one came through . . . why am i following this group!?!?!" <sigh> Guess its proof that some people just want the world to end, or want an easy excuse to have sex with the most gullible individuals on the planet. All i know is that, assuming i live that long, if the end day is coming all im gonna do is go outside with a six-pack, recline, drink, and when it comes, put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye. :lol: :lmao:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:54 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
MagnusArmstrong wrote:

When hasnt it been? There have been, "END OF THE WORLD!!" preachings since the 60s and 70s (and probably earlier).

Revelations, most of the teachings of Jesus, Nostradamus......there's always an end of the world. It's because people fail to comprehend something bigger than themselves so therefore it has to come into existence in a means that they understand (creation) and end in a means they understand (apocalypse).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
MagnusArmstrong wrote:

When hasnt it been? There have been, "END OF THE WORLD!!" preachings since the 60s and 70s (and probably earlier). My parents recalled ones for 1974, 78, 80 . . . you would think these people would have learned, "What the hell, 5+ prophecies and not a damn one came through . . . why am i following this group!?!?!" <sigh> Guess its proof that some people just want the world to end, or want an easy excuse to have sex with the most gullible individuals on the planet. All i know is that, assuming i live that long, if the end day is coming all im gonna do is go outside with a six-pack, recline, drink, and when it comes, put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye. :lol: :lmao:

I think they call that an Ass Hat... :P

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:20 pm

Since, at my advanced age, my world can be reliably expected to end within the next ten years, I am not too distressed that I will take the rest of the world with me. No doubt it's an amusing circus but, like all circuses it inevitably pack up its acts and animals and disappears down the road. In time, other circuses appear.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2009, 11:46 pm

I have a feeling the world aint gonna end for quite a while,because human's are a very adaptable species and chernynoble or whatever is the correct way to spell it make nuclear not an option for anyone because nobody wins because they are usless to conquerers because the iranians wont have Israel or the holy sites if they nuke iseral into a smoking crater that will be uninhabitable for humans for over 100 years.Humans could also survive a collsion with an astroid because we are way more adaptable than the dinosaurs,an the hadron colider wont cause the end and the suns far from dead.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:47 pm

Sand wrote:
Since, at my advanced age, my world can be reliably expected to end within the next ten years, I am not too distressed that I will take the rest of the world with me.

The thing that concerns me is every baby boomer who is starting to think this way and just ignore global warming and ignore the messes they're making with the economy.

/just turned 25...have 2 years left.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson