Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/youtube]

I think this says it all really

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

alba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:40 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I saw this on either the History Channel or TLC. I think the crosses are effectively axis and nothing more. I think they're composed of rotation plane of the earth, the arms of the milkyway galaxy, two more such celestial lines but I can't remember specifically what.

Thanks. This merits further research..

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:31 am

I remember how scarey the year 2000 seemed, my aunt actually moved to new mexico and lives with her family in virtual isolation from the world (even today).

Documentation has shown that the people belived an apocolypse would happen in the 1800s as well. Joseph Smith used to preach this in order to further his agenda (a matter of my opinion and open to debate). So when I hear the 2012 rhetoric, all I can think is that people will use symbology to try to predict future events. Seeing how everyone swears we've gone to hell in a handbasket, maybe 2012 is a good prediction for when things will get better. I'm not gonna make an ass out of myself and believe it outright, but there's only one thing that can convince me of the world coming to an end, and that would be the world actually coming to an end or some higher power telling me, until then I'm stuck with intuition.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 10:25 pm

Twenty Twelve topic

Apparently with what the British Queen spends per year [reportedly 85 million dollars (Canadian)] the Royal family will be broke by 20 12. (I saw a news clip about this on CTV News Channel June 30th.) I hope not. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2009, 6:09 am

I've been reading a lot about 2012 lately, so it's of no big surprise that I had a dream where my subconscious tied a lot of what I've been thinking about together.

In the dream, something did happen on 21 Dec 2012, and whatever it was had the effect of shutting down all the tv signals, radio signals, mobile phone networks, etc, creating a state of silence around the world. It turned out that (in the dream!) all those signals had been creating a suppression field around the world, blocking our own brain waves from functioning perfectly. Once that field was no longer there, all the autistic people in the world "switched on" and created a telepathic network that allowed the instant transfer of thoughts and knowledge. Basically, we became a big internet, and all of those autistic "special interests", all that memorised data became accessible by any autistic person, wherever they were.

It was a dream, but I like it's implications. The Bible does say that the meek will inherit the Earth, and I've seen many people reference that verse when talking about autists, so I think it would be cool if that was what was going to happen in 2012.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 11:20 pm

I wouldnt take anything seriously from a culture that performed human sacrafice which is unforiveable because each life is precious and each person has there contributions and to lose a life for something has pointless has religion.So they are hardly prophetic truth.That and I wont be 21 and I will never enjoy being to able to buy booze.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 11:51 pm

Heh Magnus, despite the decadency of their culture, meso american civilization is one out of 6 "prime" civilizations in archeology. And besides, every culture in its own way promotes human "sacrifice" ^.- even the West, although it has a more economic meaning then.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 11:53 pm

Irvy wrote:
I've been reading a lot about 2012 lately, so it's of no big surprise that I had a dream where my subconscious tied a lot of what I've been thinking about together.

In the dream, something did happen on 21 Dec 2012, and whatever it was had the effect of shutting down all the tv signals, radio signals, mobile phone networks, etc, creating a state of silence around the world. It turned out that (in the dream!) all those signals had been creating a suppression field around the world, blocking our own brain waves from functioning perfectly. Once that field was no longer there, all the autistic people in the world "switched on" and created a telepathic network that allowed the instant transfer of thoughts and knowledge. Basically, we became a big internet, and all of those autistic "special interests", all that memorised data became accessible by any autistic person, wherever they were.

It was a dream, but I like it's implications. The Bible does say that the meek will inherit the Earth, and I've seen many people reference that verse when talking about autists, so I think it would be cool if that was what was going to happen in 2012.

Considering the general intellectual level of the posts on the internet an avalanche of that level of thought on the human race would be comparable to the cosmological disaster that destroyed the dinosaurs. The prediction that the meek will inherit the Earth is probably right on in that the bacteria are about the meekest active life forms and most likely to survive the major ecological disasters enthusiastically engendered by humanity. It may be a long struggle for multicelled forms to re-occur but we are quite a ways from the heat death of the universe and nature is very patient. If nothing else, some sort of disaster on December 21 will put a major kink in Christmas shopping.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 6:34 am

Sand wrote:
. The prediction that the meek will inherit the Earth is probably right on in that the bacteria are about the meekest active life forms and most likely to survive the major ecological disasters enthusiastically engendered by humanity. It may be a long struggle for multicelled forms to re-occur but we are quite a ways from the heat death of the universe and nature is very patient.

One celled critters outweigh all the other living matter on this planet by at least ten to one. The dominant life form on the planet Earth are one celled biota. We of the multi-celled persuasion are the New Biota on the Block. We came into being during the Cambrian Era about 530,000,000 years ago. Mammals only made it Big Time after the Saurians were dispatched about 65,000,000 years ago. Hominids have only been around for 5,000,000 years and homo-sape for maybe 250,000 years. We are very new to the neighborhood.

For beings who have just appeared in a Cosmic Blink of the Eye we have a very high opinion of ourselves.

Hell! Humans have learned to read and write only in the last five or six thousand years. That is just about the time when the Fundies believe the Lord Created us from Dirt. Given the way we behave, maybe we were created from Dirt.

ruveyn

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2009, 2:33 pm

True the meso american cultures were great if only all cultures understood that human sacrafice is ignorant for no matter what purpose,because you never know if you changed the future of human civilazation for the worse thats why time travel no matter how much fun it would be is dangerous.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 9:13 pm

MagnusArmstrong wrote:
True the meso american cultures were great if only all cultures understood that human sacrafice is ignorant for no matter what purpose,because you never know if you changed the future of human civilazation for the worse thats why time travel no matter how much fun it would be is dangerous.

The only time travel we know now that is valid is a few zips around the universe approaching the speed of light and return to discover that humanity has long disappeared or that the travelers are so out of date they must be confined to a kind of zoo to preserve their sanity. Not really dangerous.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:26 am

Sand wrote:
MagnusArmstrong wrote:

The only time travel we know now that is valid is a few zips around the universe approaching the speed of light and return to discover that humanity has long disappeared or that the travelers are so out of date they must be confined to a kind of zoo to preserve their sanity. Not really dangerous.

Hey we're time travelling all the time. Perhaps only forward in time, and we can't really change the speed of this time travel, but it's time travelling none the less. :lol:

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:47 am

Ah but you see henrik, time travel assumes you have control over time, whereas in our daily lives, we merely go with the flow of it, wether we want it or not.

And huh.... unrelated question, but is MagnusArmstrong = Magnus? <.<

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 12:34 pm

phil777 wrote:
Ah but you see henrik, time travel assumes you have control over time, whereas in our daily lives, we merely go with the flow of it, wether we want it or not.

*grumbles* After reading the most common definition of time travel, I concede you are right... >.<

Quote:
And huh.... unrelated question, but is MagnusArmstrong = Magnus? <.<

He's like Magnus, but apparently stronger in the arms. And, if I may say so, less inclined to believe in unsbstantiated claims.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 12:51 pm

Maybe the whole 2012 thing will end up being a huge self-fulfilling prophecy?

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 2:46 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Maybe the whole 2012 thing will end up being a huge self-fulfilling prophecy?

that is my thoughts