Adam: New film with AS main character

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

brothersport
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2009, 8:56 pm

Just saw this movie, it exceeded my expectations. Might not be the most picture-perfect display of AS I've seen, but still did a decent job of getting across some of the quirks of this condition. I was worried I'd be calling BS on Rose Byrne's character falling for a guy like Adam, but given her characters personal life at the time (cheating ex-boyfriend and her flawed parents), it isn't entirely unlikely that someone like her would find some charm to an Aspie guy, at least short-term.

The part that sold me on this movie was the end. I always love it when a film throws you a fairly realistic and uncompromised ending. So cheers to this movie for not tying a neat bow and leaving you with the stereotypical Hollywood ending. Life is challenging and people are flawed, we pick up a few pieces of wisdom through our journey, and major changes don't come overnight. This film understands that in its treatment of all the main characters.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2009, 6:20 am

Gonna see this movie later today

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 2:29 pm

There's a lot of negativity out there in the culture about the AS condition - suggestions that the only reason to marry an AS person is if that person is loaded with money because of some software job and still in return for the money you get hell. Anything that says that AS people can be attractive and that it's OK to be attracted to them is positive as far as I'm concerned. AS men seem to lean towards the "cute" side and culture also tells women to eschew the "cute" in favour of the macho. Again, anything that goes against this is welcome.

ladyasd

09 Aug 2009, 2:13 pm

This film was released in the UK this week, and I went to see it this afternoon. I liked it. Some of Adam's ways were so like mine it was funny. Afterwards, my husband said "at some points during the film, I thought 'I am married to this man. But I wouldn't have it any other way'" We both felt that AS and NT people would draw different conclusions from the story.