Roommates: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 2:16 pm

I want to try living on my own while going to school next fall, you know, to get the whole college experience. But the only way I can afford to move out is to find a few roommates, and I really don't get along well with most people. I try, it's that, well, I guess I'm a little too "weird." Go figure. Plus, I am not even sure moving out is the best since I forget to do a lot of things, like pay bills, eat, go to class, do dishes, do laundry, etc. because I so focused on a few things. My hope is that having a few roommates around will help me remember those kinds of things, plus help me out socially---but then again, that could be expecting too much of myself. Does anyone live with roommates while going to school? If so, how is it? Also, how do I go about finding people to be roommates? And how do I know if they will be "compatible?"

North
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2006, 7:25 pm

Having three roomates during my freshman year helped me a lot. There were quite a few conflicts over things and I had trouble getting along with them at times, but it really taught me a lot about how to get along with other people.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 7:31 pm

That's what I figured. And I guess I need to learn how to get along with people who have not grown up with me and who understand how to deal with me. Bummer. :wink:

CHAOS
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2006, 5:31 pm

I was fortunate enough to get one of my best friends to room with me. It's helping me through freshman year.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2006, 8:23 pm

well...

if u find a GREAT roommate, it wud be great. i HATE having roommates, but that's just coz i have had random ppl, NTs mostly.
u gotta think about that if u are typical aspie, and typical introvert, u need time to relax by urself after socializing.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 4:16 am

It all depends on what kind of roommates you get. I wouldn't count on them to help you though. At my university, it seems people have a hard time finding roommates they are compatible with. In college, a lot of people are selfish and only care about themselves. It is rare to find the "perfect roommate." My freshman year I had two roommates. We had bunk beds (one was a loft bed over a desk and the other was "regular" bunk beds). I had the top bunk of the "regular" bunk beds. The weekend after we moved in, one of my roommates went home and my other roommate had her boyfriend sleep over. As I was trying to fall asleep, I felt the bed shake! (You can imagine what they were doing). I was horrified. He only slept over a few times but it was very uncomfortable for me. I thought things would get better after they broke up, but then she started having different boys in the room all the time. My other roommate was meeting lesbians online and having THEM sleep over quite a lot. The first roommate I spoke of (the one with the boys) was named Angel, ironically. I tried compromising with her, asking her to let me know when she was going to have people sleep over so I could go home, but then she would still have people over at the last minute sometimes. She was also a total slob and wouldn't clean up no matter how many times we asked her too. If I took a nap, she would make a lot of noise, have all the lights on, and have people over, but if she took a nap she turned all the lights out and expected us to keep them off. She always did whatever SHE felt like.

Anyway, so I swtiched my room during the spring semester and that girl was mean to me because she enjoyed having a double room to herself.

These are the reasons I am now in a single room.

alblurt_06
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2006, 1:00 am

Roomates. Always a good idea. Just tell them what you have. They should be fine with it.

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2006, 12:06 am

a lot of schools do personality test type things to try to match students with compatible roommates. did you guys who posted take this kinda test? cause if so, that doesn't really look too good for the tests haha...

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 7:20 am

Those personality tests are BS. They don't care who they match you up with if you're a freshman.

North
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2006, 11:15 am

QuirkyCarla wrote:
Those personality tests are BS. They don't care who they match you up with if you're a freshman.

I think what they really need is something more along the lines of a sanity test. At least from my experience, most of the time that there are real issues between roomates, it's not because they are incompatible, but rather one of the roomates is completely nuts.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 10:27 am

I have had many roommates over the years... they can be a lot of fun, and they can also be a nightmare.

I've lived with several NTs, a bi-polar schizophrenic (which was a nightmare), an obsessive compulsive and a few that arent exactly NT but I'm not sure what to classify them as.

For an antisocial being like myself, having roommates has done a lot of good as far as making friends goes. However, at the same time, I think I'd much rather live alone.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 7:37 pm

So the consensus seems to be that roommates are good...and bad. I guess I'll just have try it out for a while to see how it works for me. :)

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2006, 10:17 pm

Never had a room mate but living with my sister in the same room was living with a room mate i cleaned the room while she did nothing it was great fun.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2006, 11:34 pm

Laura wrote:
Never had a room mate but living with my sister in the same room was living with a room mate i cleaned the room while she did nothing it was great fun.

I shared a room until she went off to college. But I was the mess-maker and she was the clean freak, I guess. It is not so much that I make messes, so much as I just don't see the mess until I need something I can't find. And even then I just clean up until I find whatever it is that I'm looking for. As long as certain things are lined up, the whole house could be a mess and I wouldn't notice.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:30 pm

If I told you why I thought roommates were a bad idea, we'd have to move this to the mature topics section of the forums.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:39 pm

Yupa wrote:
If I told you why I thought roommates were a bad idea, we'd have to move this to the mature topics section of the forums.

Yup, a lot of that goes on in college unfortunately.