Why are macho guys such jerks to nonmacho guys?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SystemDown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2009, 9:12 pm

Really why?

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 9:30 pm

IMO? because they're insecure idiots.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2009, 9:32 pm

It's about power plays and being the alpha. Observe primates where you have strong and weak members of a group.

SystemDown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2009, 9:47 pm

I just hate the idea that macho guys commonly have that machoness makes them superior. It doesn't.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 9:57 pm

SystemDown wrote:
I just hate the idea that macho guys commonly have that machoness makes them superior. It doesn't.

How is it not when most people think that they are superior?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

Masculinity is a very competitive thing, and it basically encourages a "survival of the fittest" mentality. What defines a real alpha? I don't know. I don't even know if society's definition of an alpha is congruent with biology.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 11:11 pm

buryuntime wrote:
SystemDown wrote:

How is it not when most people think that they are superior?

The valuable people in this world do not and are not attracted to machoism.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 11:48 pm

Except "survival of the fittest" does not necessarly imply being masculine. It implies having the necessary skill to survive in a given environnement, allowing "fit" individuals to reproduce. What does not work here probably works elsewhere. Keep that in mind. =P

Besides, unless the macho in question can compensate for his lack of intelligence, stability / dependability and commitment, then he might not keep a couple / family alive long enough for him to reproduce

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2009, 12:13 am

Probably because they like to think they are of better status than us- they look down on anyone who may have like immature interests, or they may think they are more mature than the little guy, but the truth is they are not. They are selfish, egotistic, and unhappy.

you will jouney from boy to man

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 1:33 am

I'm a metrosexual construction worker. Which makes me a macho non macho..

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2009, 1:44 am

Read the book "The Dominant Male" it is an amazing read about how men jockey for position, power, and prestige among each other.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 4:16 am

It's interesting that it's the sort of thing that becomes true because of consensus, with objective reasons usually being unimportant. In the modern world people are rarely tested in true terms, so style and bluster is often more important than demonstrated ability or demonstrated character. Or, at the very least, style & bluster are (overly) influential adjuncts to whatever demonstrated ability or character someone shows.

I was in my 30's before I had a clue about the rules of that game (and not that I could 'play' it when I did, but I could at least see how it works). As someone else has said, it is amazing how males are set up to compete against each other in essentially all male-male interactions.

Iblis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2009, 7:00 am

Macho guys secretly wanna bang non macho guys.
But since it's not accepted in society, it translates to bullying.
Simple as that.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 8:55 am

Most overly macho-guys who bully overs are usually closet homosexuals. They bully non-macho people as a way of saying "Look, he's not manly!", it's a way of keeping people's eyes away themselves.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 10:54 am

Because it's MANLY to pick on the lamers :lol:

Also the whole 'im aggressive, I'm bad-ass and I don't give a f**k' and showing your manliness by getting into verbal or physical conflict to let off aggression, have fun, etc.

this song is kind've related on the hyper macho mentality to the point of lulz. Then again many rappers have stated they exxagerate the machoness in some cases for effect.

http://music.metafilter.com/2380/Punch- ... SFW-lyrics

Oh, and some of what other people here said too

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 12:59 pm

I recently watched a documentary on this.

the males vie amongst themselves for position in a hierarchy. all of their posturing is to impress each other, not the females. stomping weaker males would be part of the game. the females want to breed with high-ranking males, so they vie for the attention of the highest ranking males who notice them. what makes a male rank higher varies from culture to culture, but what matters to the receptive females is that other males look up to the male she is paired with and intends to breed with.

maybe they're hard-wired to believe their offspring will have higher rank because of it. there was some indication of that belief, but I don't understand it. I don't see how male ranking equates with providing food and shelter, but perhaps there's a primeval brain connection that still exists even though the majority of modern males who have rank actually end up being horrible providers.

personally, I find the posturing of the breeding game to be overwhelming and too much to keep track of, and frankly uninteresting except from a sociological point of view.