Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:54 am

Programming algae to pump out oil

Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's a nice idea but I can't see it being a very useful process other than as a slight augmentation to the oil supplies and nothing that could be a viable primary source. The capitalist in me likes the answer to the last question but then begs an answer to the question "Well, how much money are they putting into this from their total funds? Is it merely lip service or is it a legitimate operation?"

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 4:16 am

They've been working on this idea for several years now. The major change here is that Exxon is now onboard. They obvious see some potential now that they didn't see previously.

It's still a long way off though. So many trials and making sure it is cost competitive with oil and making sure it doesn't get into the wild and/or programming something into the algae so that it is "safe" in the wild. Genetically modified organisms are always a risk, especially the smallest ones as they are more drastically affected by mutation.

Step in the right direction, though. It could augment the oil supply much like wind, hydro, and solar energy augment our current power supplies. Don't forget the enviro-market, either; customers may be willing to pay more for oil that comes from algae too. My power company offers a similar deal -- if I pay more they will provide power from renewable sources only (or so they claim).

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 6:11 pm

It's a somewhat good sign but If they're investing minimally in it, I would imagine that it's most likely more just to put up a facade of trying to be "green" rather than earnestly looking for an alternative means of energy/fuel production.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson