Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

rensilaer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2009, 4:45 pm

I've honestly always believed that the people who are the most threatened are the only most insecure about themselves and their own choices. Because, clearly, if not everyone on the planet chooses to behave/believe/respond/percieve the way I do, then that means that somehow, maybe I didn't do the right thing! Maybe that feeling I had... NO, THEY'RE WRONG FOR NOT BEING LIKE ME!

Some people cannot be secure on their own and require a group mentality to feel anchored and "correct" and anything that threatens that security is the enemy.

Also, hey duke666, SF4eva. :lol:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 8:53 pm

duke666 wrote:
Aren't you tired of NT assumptions and misconceptions about aspies? How do you feel when they think they know what's 'wrong' with us? That's how it is being gay in a non-gay world.

But this is why I, as an Aspie, am always available to answer questions people might have about Asperger's, even if I've heard them asked before. You can't go around demanding an end to misconceptions about any particular group, and then refuse to educate others. How much would autistic advocacy be advanced if Ari Ne'eman just told people "Go research Asperger's and learn why we're not inferior"? If you're going to be an advocate for a group... then be an advocate for that group. sg33 is trying to weasel out of that. To gain equality, a minority group has to be willing to stand up and fight for it. Otherwise, it's just not happening.

rensilaer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2009, 11:30 am

Orwell wrote:
duke666 wrote:
Aren't you tired of NT assumptions and misconceptions about aspies? How do you feel when they think they know what's 'wrong' with us? That's how it is being gay in a non-gay world.

But this is why I, as an Aspie, am always available to answer questions people might have about Asperger's, even if I've heard them asked before. You can't go around demanding an end to misconceptions about any particular group, and then refuse to educate others. How much would autistic advocacy be advanced if Ari Ne'eman just told people "Go research Asperger's and learn why we're not inferior"? If you're going to be an advocate for a group... then be an advocate for that group. sg33 is trying to weasel out of that. To gain equality, a minority group has to be willing to stand up and fight for it. Otherwise, it's just not happening.

I agree with this 100%. In college, I was very much a guru about stuff like this. A lot of people liked to talk to me about my experiences and looking at homosexuality as an intellectual curiosity. I was always available to just let people know that I wasn't really any different from them, minus the facial glitter and lubricant, of course.