Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 4:24 am

Personally I have never had a problem with homosexuality, for as long as I have understood the meaning/implications of the word this kind of sexual behaviour has been a non issue for me.

So please, those of you that feel that homosexuality is wrong, could you try and explain why?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 4:35 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Personally I have never had a problem with homosexuality, for as long as I have understood the meaning/implications of the word this kind of sexual behaviour has been a non issue for me.

So please, those of you that feel that homosexuality is wrong, could you try and explain why?

Perhaps it's because some straight people feel threatened by homosexuals in that they would persuade or force straights into homosexual performances. It's somewhat the way we atheists object to religious people continuously bombarding us with religious propaganda by claiming atheism is wrong. Probably the majority of both homosexuals and Christians want to leave well enough alone but there are also, in all probability, a small contingent of homosexuals that assault straights on occasion and a somewhat larger relative proportion of Christians that are insulted by atheists.

complicitytheory
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2009, 6:22 am

I've always found working with queer folks to be a supportive and positive experience, and have always felt my straightness accepted, and even more so my aspiness. There's much more sexual abuse and aggressiveness from the straight community than the reverse as far as I can tell. I don't remember seeing anything about straight-bashing in the news in living memory. The fear of the queer community is one of not accepting people who are different, and requiring conformity of expectations. I've worked on various projects with queer youth for a number of years, so though I'm no expert, I have both professional and social experience that has been uniformly positive. Can't say the same about the straight community.

A dig at Atheists. I lump atheists in with people who believe in god. They all believe in the (non)existence of god (i.e. that he/she/it does or does not exist). Two sides of the same coin... and that coin is belief in something you can't know. Using this sort of belief to guide you is, to be polite, rather silly. I think the whole issue is unknowable, so why waste time on it. I do have to say that theists have prettier architecture and cooler stories, and atheists seem like bitter people who have lost their puppy so demand that no one can have a puppy. If it makes you happy to have or not to have a puppy, great. But if it is an invisible all powerful puppy that you want or don't want... I'll stick to my cat. Cats have never been real and don't require belief. Just feeding and petting.

:)

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2009, 7:14 am

Quote:
Two sides of the same coin... and that coin is belief in something you can't know.

I love this. Belief is a strange thing. Believing in something has absolutely no effect on that thing. Having belief in God does not make him pop into existence, and not believing in him doesn't make him disappear.

If you really want to annoy an athiest, tell them that it requires the same amount of faith to disbelieve in God as it does to believe in him.

I grew up in the church, and listened to a lot of demonification of homosexuals. Which was unfortunate, since I am one. Their vitriol over the subject is based on/caused by the mistranslation and misinterpretation of some very vague parts of the Bible. Part of the problem was that some terms in the Bible are lost, and nobody knows what certain words actually mean. One of them translates literally to "man bed", and whilst they know the word is made up of those 2 words, they have no idea of what they're referring to in context.

To give an example, if you had no clue whatsoever what the word "ladykiller" referred to, you'd try to split it up. It's made up of 2 words, lady and killer. We can then suggest that it may refer to a female murderer, or perhaps a murderer of either sex who only murders women. It's doubtful that you would guess that it meant a very attractive man who was sexually irresistable to women.

Earlier in our history, the bible forbade masturbation, and used this "manbed" word to back up that claim. However, as time went on, it became a rather unpopular command, and let's face it, everyone sat in the church, the minister included, was guilty of that particular sin, so the infallible word of God got a last minute edit, and the word we don't understand was retranslated to forbid homosexuality instead.

I've often thought that at the core of the homohatred was that old root of all evil, money. Heterosexual members of the congregation set down roots, they marry, they have children, and a new generation of financial contributors is born. As my minister often told us, every church is only 1 generation away from extinction. Homosexuals don't generally have children, and therefore aren't good for business.

But I think deep down, as with all things, we humans fear and attack anything we don't understand, anything that might threaten our comfy status quo. From a religious perspective, whether that religion is God based or atheism based, anything that that refutes your belief is a danger.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 7:22 am

its a psychological EMOTIONAL reaction out of fear.

very basic really.

1. homosexyality! <---observation
2. how... do they know for sure? sometimes... i find a man good looking... <---insecurity
3. NO!! ! I am NOT like them!! ! <---lack of emotional control
4. HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG WRONG WRONG!! !! ! <---normal human reaction.

complicitytheory
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2009, 7:28 am

[quote="Irvy"]But I think deep down, as with all things, we humans fear and attack anything we don't understand, anything that might threaten our comfy status quo. From a religious perspective, whether that religion is God based or atheism based, anything that that refutes your belief is a danger.[/quote]

Bingo. I wouldn't say it is money. But it is power and control, which is pretty much the same thing. You can see why I got issues with 'belief' itself. It is a fiction that kills almost as many people as 'Truth' does.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2009, 7:35 am

Absolute agreement with both of you here. ZEGH8578, you've struck upon a significant part of it, I think. I've read from several sources, and experienced myself and from talking to other friends, that very few, if any of us, are actually 100% straight or gay. Most of us are somewhere inbetween, mostly in an area where in practise, you choose to be one or the other. This is because of the society's pressure on us to label ourselves for easy identification. And yes, for many people, when they do have that little moment of atttraction to someone outside of their "chosen orientation", that can be unsettling.

And complicitytheory, I'd love to sit chatting to you through the wee hours over many cups of coffee, I think we'd have a very interesting conversation!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:35 am

[quote="DentArthurDent"]Personally I have never had a problem with homosexuality, for as long as I have understood the meaning/implications of the word this kind of sexual behaviour has been a non issue for me.

So please, those of you that feel that homosexuality is wrong, could you try and explain why?[/quote

There is the YUCCH factor.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

So please, those of you that feel that homosexuality is wrong, could you try and explain why?[/quote

ruveyn

The YUCCH is in the eye of the beholder.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:41 am

Sand wrote:

The YUCCH is in the eye of the beholder.

Absolutely. It is the same reaction as findind a pile of steaming sh*t in your dinner plate. Purely subjective. The YUCCH factor should have no legal or institutional standing whatsoever.

ruveyn

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2009, 8:45 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I suppose some homosexuals would feel equally the same about heterosexuals.

I've found that actually getting to know people from whatever minority, be it sexual/racial/religious, you soon realise that they are just like everyone else, and in my experience much nicer people than the average white male straight christian.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:17 am

HauntedKnight wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I suppose some homosexuals would feel equally the same about heterosexuals.

I've found that actually getting to know people from whatever minority, be it sexual/racial/religious, you soon realise that they are just like everyone else, and in my experience much nicer people than the average white male straight christian.

I've worked with both hetero and homosexuals for years, never got involved with their private sexual lives and found no differences and YUCCH never arose.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:25 am

I don't quite understand why heterosexuals would feel threatened by homosexuals. The more gay men there are, the better the dating odds get for a hetero man since gay men are not going after women.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2009, 9:42 am

I find it very amusing how many straight guys say that the thought of anal sex is "disgusting", and yet so many of them are begging, nay, pleading their girlfriends or wives to allow them to do that very same "disgusting" thing to them.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:43 am

Orwell wrote:
I don't quite understand why heterosexuals would feel threatened by homosexuals. The more gay men there are, the better the dating odds get for a hetero man since gay men are not going after women.

Assuming, of course, that all the homosexuals are male.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:52 am

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Assuming, of course, that all the homosexuals are male.

The homosexual men are the only ones that people care about when they discuss homosexual issues.

It's also why the only acceptable homosexuality on TV is lesbians. Because people have a problem with homosexual men.

It's weird because everyone has a problem, not just the guys who are too insecure about themselves.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson