Finding the motivation to write, when you love to write?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 12:55 am

Although having an interesting plot can motivate writing there are other forces that also can be worthwhile. Conceive an interesting character or two with unusual abilities and see how they interact and where that leads you. Pick up any object and figure how that, perhaps very ordinary thing, can become critical in a dynamic situation. Hear of an new scientific discovery and think about how that might change the world. Take any daily occurrence that people take for granted like using water, drinking coffee, using a computer and figure what would happen if suddenly that wasn't possible anymore. Take a real problem in your life and find a very strange way to solve it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:59 am

Seanmw wrote:
idk what kind of writing you do.

i write poems.

but i write best when i'm emotional. that goes both ways. things just start clicking once the feeling rushes through.

There are various approaches to poetry. A good deal of not very effective poetry deals with an outpouring of emotions of the poet which evokes very little in the reader. The important part of any useful writing to evoke the emotions of the reader and that is done not by describing the emotions of the writer but making precise and clear how those emotions came about. This calls for good analysis, precise observation, clever metaphor and an ingenious and unusual use of language. It's not easy and doesn't always work but it's important to understand where the effort should be expended.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 6:29 pm

Sand wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
idk what kind of writing you do.

i write poems.

but i write best when i'm emotional. that goes both ways. things just start clicking once the feeling rushes through.

There are various approaches to poetry. A good deal of not very effective poetry deals with an outpouring of emotions of the poet which evokes very little in the reader. The important part of any useful writing to evoke the emotions of the reader and that is done not by describing the emotions of the writer but making precise and clear how those emotions came about. This calls for good analysis, precise observation, clever metaphor and an ingenious and unusual use of language. It's not easy and doesn't always work but it's important to understand where the effort should be expended.

That's very well put, Sand ....

mamc1986
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2009, 6:39 pm

For me I just look at things going on in the media or past events that happened in the media. I look a various sources like TV, Movies, Books, History, and Celebraties! There are so many places you can draw insperation from. :D