Autism, AD(H)D and methylphenidate (Ritalin and such)

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 8:25 pm

OK, it's been a week of no Metadate (Ritalin) for my son, after years of being on Metadate. So far, so good. I wonder if after a while, the Metadate loses effectiveness because my son has grown, and they probably can't raise the dosage anymore. Might as well take him off, if that's the case. He seems to be doing OK as far as bringing home books, remembering assignments, etc. He forgot his trumpet today for band, but I think that sort of thing is to be expected on a somewhat regular basis - it's just 13 year old boy, and not necessarily 13 year old boy on the autism spectrum.

There will be bumps in the road, for sure. But so far, he seems pretty happy to be off of the Metadate. I still think that it was useful for the time period that my son used the medication, but he may have matured enough to not need it now. We shall see . . .

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 9:13 pm

I was diagnosed with inattentive ADD several years back. The DR was under the impression that Ritalin wasn't available as an affordable generic so he added Wellbutrin to my Prozac. Bad.Bad.Bad. I felt like Daffy Duck on PCP. I was then on Ritalin and later on Concerta until severe facial tics started happening. He took me off Concerta and it took about a month for the tics to fully disappear. I am now on Strattera which I get directly from the Pharm. Co. It has helped me a lot but only minimally with my biggest problem, which is executive dysfunction. Actually, I'm glad just to know what's wrong. I've been wondering why I couldn't get it together since forever.