Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sugarmama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2009, 2:01 am

Am I the only one who wishes job interviews were not so stressful and made up.

I just want to walk into an office feel completely at home and talk like a couple of
good friends over a couple of beers and be completly honest about what I have to offer
and what they don't have to lose by hiring me and giving me a shot... you know?

And why do we have to be so in the dark about asperger syndrome...
This s*it has to come out in the open and free some ppl up..

sorry guess I'm blown off some steam..

are we not in an age though of no longer apologising for what "it is"...
i guess we're all just ahead of our time in a way...

TXaspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2009, 2:35 am

I completely agree with you, I'm in a very stressful time because I need a job and getting an interview is hard with my resume....then when I do get one you know how it goes....

EYE CONTACT IS TERRIBLE. :x

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 2:36 am

Job interviews can be very difficult. In my field (job searches are national) the first interview is often via telephone; I dread phone interviews, and sometimes even the best preparation leads to nothing but me flubbing up.

Unfortunately, you almost never end up talking like a couple of friends over beers. You can do what you've said, but you have to learn how to do it in an interview. I've done a number of interviews and usually do pretty well with them... it's just a matter of figuring out the rules.

I figured them out by blatantly asking supervisors, colleagues, and mentors about the ones that I found confusing.

employmentcoach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2009, 10:25 am

The key to a successful interview is preparation. Realize that the interview is also for you to get a better understanding of the position, culture and company to see if it will be a good fit for you. Take the pressure off by practicing your questions and preparing your answers to questions you find more difficult. I just posted an article on my blog about how to interview more successfully. Interview questions can be put into three basic categories of poor, good and excellent. A poor question can be answered with a little bit of research, such as how big the company is, who their target customer is, the history, etc. Stay away from asking these questions. A good question consists of those topics you are unable to research. For example, asking the interviewer to describe the corporate culture, management style of the supervisor, whether this position is newly created or recently vacated, etc. Excellent questions consist of in depth, thought provoking inquiries. For example, "From what I have read, this industry is down 18% from last year due to the economic environment. How has your company fared compared to the industry?" Depending on the response, you can ask 3-5 fantastic follow up questions in demonstrating your critical thinking skills and separating yourself from the competition.

Good luck!