AS male->NT female->AS male passing of genes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 8:08 pm

I was thinking of this while reading Into The Wild a few days ago. A lot of us think that Chris McCandless, the guy who died in Alaska, was AS, well his mom talked to Jon Krakauer about her father, who was sort of weird and a loner who never kept a job for long and didn't have a career, and how he and Chris got along well, and then at the end where Walt and Billie visit the bus, Billie says that the area resembles the area where her dad lived. I was thinking that I'm so much like my grandfather that we even looked alike, and in many ways we are similar, we're both fat and working in a technology oriented trade, and he even worked repairing radios and TVs for a while, and I repair computers. Like him, I was unable to keep a job and ultimately had to employ myself. Yet my mom-his only child-is as NT as can be, she worked in an office with other women and made tons of friends. Billie McCandless seems NT as well. So I was thinking, can an autistic male have an NT daughter, and then that daughter ends up having an AS son?

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 8:12 pm

I have no idea. They've not identified an "Asperger's Gene" as of yet. I suppose when they do, a whole new round of Eugenics debate will take place, and we'll all find new ways to get mad at each other.

All I know is that I am an AS male. I had a son with an NT female. My son is NT.
My father is AS (undiagnosed). His father might have been, and so on. We'll see what kind of grandkids I end up with in about 20 years or so.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2009, 8:13 pm

Since they don't know the specifics of how its passed genetically, I'd say sure. I know that in my family, my grandfather was un dx's AS and had an un'dx'd AS daughter (misdiagnosed as other mental health issues) and 5 other NT's. My aspie mother then passed it on to me. My NT aunt however, had 2 undx'd AS boys and 1 NT boy. (though technically my aunt has issues.. they are not of the autistic kind. They are mental health though. Narcissism perhaps.)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 8:17 pm

Possibly, but I've never seen a study on it. My mom has some AS symptoms & my grandfather seems the most like her out of my grandparents (if he or my mom have any form of AS its half autistic symptoms/not totally AS). So it may have gone from grandfather-daughter-grand/daughter in my family. I also have a cousin (through my mother's sister/same set of grandparents) who most likely has AS but his parents will never get him diagnosed or treated. I think it can skip around randomly, but I'm definitely no expert. I should also mention my grandmother has issues to (in a totally different manner) but almost everyone in my family is incapable of having a normal conversation (at least w/ each other) all they do is gossip about other people :roll: (YUCK!). You'd have to see it to get it. If you want to know look up studies on patterns between biological relatives of people on the spectrum & those on the spectrum.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 12:34 am

Re OP's question:

Most of the Aspie/Autie people whom I know seem to have inherited it from their mother's side of the family. In my case, my mother has the rigid thinking/needs to have a plan that is followed to the T and is completely single-minded and iconoclastic. My sister has the severe aversion to touch, algorythmic (sp?) thinking and bounces arround in conversation. My maternal grandfather was almost certainly an aspie. So, I think it is possible for an AS grandfather on the mother's side to pass the genes on, partially skipping a generation.

Re: Chris McCandless:

I am 85% sure that he was a mild aspie. He never was able to have a girlfriend or any other sort of long-term friendship (other than long distance ones he made on the road), was overly zealous regarding his interests, saw NT society for the illusion that it is and had a plethora of idiosyncracies regarding things such as clothing. Also, if you look up pictures of him on the net, his postures and facial expressions (particularly pre-alaska) look eerily familiar. In fact, the said pic's are almost indistinguishable from HS photos of my roommate, who is a self-diagnosed aspie.

RIP Christopher Johnson McCandless.

crownarmourer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2009, 1:09 am

Well I suspect my Grandad was, he used to refused to go into clothing stores for new suits and my Nan had to buy suits for him and he never really spoke a lot unless I asked him a question. None of my brothers and sister are and my dad certainly isn't my mother seems more logical though and was never a really touchy feely person. Why I got the genes or the genetic predisposition via an environmental trigger to this I don't know. So who knows I don't, still don't have the guts to tell my parents what I have, not sure how they would react in my day you were just shy.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2009, 7:30 pm

My father's mother had an ASD. Her husband was NT. My father has autistic traits. My mother is NT. I have AS. My wife is NT. My son has autistic traits. My daughter is almost the exact opposite of an autistic person: high in empathy and social skills.

dorito
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2009, 7:01 am

i thought i heard online there is a theory autism and/or aspergers could be related to fragile x syndrome.