is messiness related in any way to any kind of aspergers?

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

I bet some people on the spectrum are messy. I'm not personally, I am extremely clean. I cannot think clearly unless my room is clean.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Sometimes messiness can be a personality trait in some people. I know some NTs who have really untidy houses and never hoover or clean up and seem to like living in a pigsty, and I know some people who are extremely houseproud and won't have a thing out of place. I even know one person who puts plastic on her settees when guests come round.

But a lot of people are just inbetween. I am inbetween and I'm Aspie. I don't have everything in place, but I like to keep stuff off the floor and make sure it's put away safely. My box sets are stored nearly on the shelf, but ain't that what shelves are for? I don't look at my shelf and go ''oh my box sets are stored nicely on this shelf because I have AS, maybe I will be more NT if I scatter them on the floor''. That's just silly.

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

I'm neurotypical and in my 20s but you should come and see my room, its a total mess! :P

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

Left to myself, everything gets cleaner.

When I'm crowded, it gets messier.

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

My mum is a major perfectionist, and would call my room a mess or cluttered. I have a REALLY small bedroom and my bed takes up most of the room and I feel I don't have enough room for everything. I am trying to get rid of things and sell some of my stuff as well.

I like having a clean room, I just don't know how to do it on my own!

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

I don't seem to have very well-developed executive functioning skills. Though my diagnosis is Asperger's, the rest of my family has been diagnosed with executive functioning... And by executive functioning, I mean deficits.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

OddFinn wrote:
My chaos is very organized.
This and...

WardenWolf wrote:
Many aspies are horribly messy, myself included. The joke is that it's just "organization by layer".
This.

I seem messier than I am. Tiny house and two people with lots of interests, hobbies and other activities going on.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm

I'm in between, but possibly on the clean side, at least from what I've seen on others. I get a lot of cognitive dissonance from mess, which is even worse when sharing a house with six other students who want to retain their rights to leave empty plates where they ate from them, and messy food prep on counters. Such mess obstructs anyone getting on with things afterwards. I like a floor that I could walk on barefoot without finding my soles have been blackened.

I tend to conflict between keeping everything I love and keeping somewhere clean and laid-out. But do I want to get rid of old football programmes and late '80s books on photography? I'd like to have a place for everything but my bookshelves are at full capacity, and I wouldn't be sure where to put a finger skateboard or a miniature tripod or a novelty egg timer.

I'm fairly sure that one day I'll have a huge purge and get rid of anything that won't do me any good. But equally I don't want my things to uselessly take up space on a landfill site.

I probably vacuum once every 10 days which is nothing excessive, wiping surfaces and so on when the mood hits, which is reasonably often. Things like duvets and towels are washed every fortnight if I can help it.

Tellingly, it's often very late nights like this where it strikes me to clean up and I want nothing more but to live in a white-wall, huge-window modernist house with few things on display.

I've had to explain cognitive dissonance to a few people before. The feeling you may get if you go without shaving or wear a stained shirt is the feeling I get living in clutter and mess. It doesn't help one bit that so many people litter.

I don't think any of this is a personal problem of mine and think it's quite the opposite. You don't want to suffocate under a load of possessions. You want to find anything you need at a given time. You want space to get on with things without a stress ball or a pile of crumbs standing in the way. You don't want anything to rot or cause a stink. You don't want any dirt to come on you. You don't want to be forever standing on things or knocking things over. You want space to move about in. You want things to look good. It all makes sense.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

Here's my 2 bob. I'm an extremely messy disorganised person. I look and act so messy people used to call me Caveman. I spill food whenever I eat it, I have piles of stuff lying around everywhere, I can even make myself look the slightest bit organised. I have problems with executive dysfunction, so as hard as I try to be organised it's just too stressful. I enjoy cleaning things and ordering things, but if there's too much to do it's overwhelming. I love all the mess though, I have a tiny room which is jam packed full of all my stuff and I have pictures, signs and posters covering every piece of wall because I hate blank walls/sterile environments, and all my guitars, amps, leads, painting gear, computer stuff and books is all over the place. BUT I don't like other people moving any of it because I know exactly where it is, and I'll know if anything's moved...

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm

My room is organized by layers! :lol:
On the other hand, My tool box (the big kind- 5 feet tall) is perfectly organized! I get really annoyed when people just throw tools back in it instead of putting them where they belong!

I really like organizing tool boxes. I look forward to getting bigger ones for all my RC tools and parts because I get to reorganize all of my stuff :D

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

Aalto wrote:
I get a lot of cognitive dissonance from mess, which is even worse when sharing a house with six other students who want to retain their rights to leave empty plates where they ate from them, and messy food prep on counters. Such mess obstructs anyone getting on with things afterwards. I like a floor that I could walk on barefoot without finding my soles have been blackened.
I'm with you there! Although I'm messy (cluttered) on my own, living with others especially makes me want at least the kitchen and bathroom kept fairly sanitary. When it's just us, we can sometimes let the mess get out of control - the clutter - but at the same time we like to know it's safe to eat, and that there are no serious germs or vermin lurking about. Clutter is one thing, filth is another. :) When we shared a house with other adults, we insisted on a cleaning schedule for the kitchen and bathrooms - and everyone took a turn. They got sanitized once a week, and dishes were washed immediately after eating. In our individual rooms we could be as cluttered as we wanted. But we did have one house-mate who wound up with cockroaches in her bedroom. Yuck. I don't know how she managed that, we'd never had insect problems in that house before.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

I have a cluttered room, but everything is in its proper stack! :D

Matthew

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

I've been planning to clean my room for a week. :lol: Maybe I'll get something done tomorrow. If my mood allows me to.

It's mostly psychological. I have a lot of time on my hands, but keep putting it off. I don't feel like it most of the time,

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

i'm also extremely messy/disorganized and can attribute it to mental exhaustion from so many things to worry about.... a lot of times i'm just overwhelmed by life and the people in it. My stress tolerance is very low. Cleaning is the last priority most of the time, when most of my energy is sucked away from day to day stress. The smallest thing can start a horrible anxiety spiral - this may be indirectly related to Asperger's, because many small things disrupt the delicate balance needed. Interaction with people often upsets me to the point of an inconsolable emotional meltdown......once the storm has passed, I want to relax and the last thing on my mind is organizing and cleaning :(

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

Hello,

I think its BOTH..... messyness and perfectly organized rooms are typical for AS people. I think, AS people think more complicated, their world is more differentiated. Therefore, putting the things where they should according to them is more complicated to fulfill. So, either they spend more time then others to keep their room tidy... and then they have a perfectly organized room,.... or they don't spend this time for whatever reason,.... and then its a MESS ;-)

In contrast, a room which is more or less tidy, where things are put at some place, but could also be put somewhere else... thats not so typical for AS people.

Thats my conjecture to this topic! Anyone agree or disagree?

Anton

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

I think for me it's a problem with seeing details and not noticing the big picture. I don't notice the mess because I'm just focused on whatever I'm doing and not seeing the rest of my surroundings. And cleaning is difficult for me because of being too detail-oriented. It takes me three hours to sweep and mop one small room because I have to pick up all the junk strewn about, then move all the furniture to sweep really thoroughly so that the mop doesn't drag in the dust bunnies under the sofa...
Oh, and if I have to dust--forget it. I dust, then I have to sweep again, then I have to dust again because the sweeping stirred up more dust... YAAAAAHHHH!! !! So I'm usually a happy wreck.