Could He Represent an Aspie
Yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:23 pm

I don't know for sure if this is the right forum to ask about this, but b/c its about a character in a movie, I thought it might be OK to post it here (you may definitely move it if I'm wrong).

My question is, does anyone here besides me think that the main character Fred Z. Randall from Rocket Man would count as an aspie or at least someone with aspieish characteristics? (This is a hypothetical question if he were real or as a hypothetical rep.) I kind of think he is for a few reasons I will list. But the thing is if he does count, it may be a good example without any of the neg. stigma that may come from other movies (if I had a dime for every person who asked if Autism always = Rain Man or asks me "Does that mean you hit yourself? or What's that?" I could possibly have paid off college with cash & gotten a descent car at the very least/not that the car would matter b/c I can't drive).

My reasoning (I'll be quoting the movie as well):

1. He seems very childlike "I'm 30 yrs. old I'm almost a grown man! I'll take the rocket" (chewing) He's referring to leaving his parents home & eating a kiddy peanut butter sandwich.
2. Obsessive interests (space)
3. Strange methods of expression (singing "Will you wish upon a star", "I've Got the Whole World In My Hands" & "If I were King of the Forest" a bit, weird noises etc.)
4. Understands animals better than people (He talks w/ his chimp roommate Ulysses)
5. Odd conversational topics:
(Randall & Commander talking)
R: "Hey Commander, when I was a kid I thought their was a baker under my bed. Did you have anything under your bed?
C: No
R: Did you ever bend down and look?
C: No
R: Than how do you know their wasn't a baker under your bed?
C: Shut up"
6. Easily entertains himself (preoccupation methods in hyper chamber & ship for 8 months/I doubt an NT could keep their sanity)
7. Easily manipulated (when he gets drunk)
8. He can't lie for crap ("It wasn't me!") (I'm sure some aspies can/learn(ed) to lie convincingly but I'm not one of them)
9. Withstands the spinning tests very well & even likes one for a bit (especially the spinning test he seemed to enjoy 'til the machine broke)
10. cliche`-he's a computer nerd
11. Unintentionally harms people (injures guys who were going for same astronaut job as him/ to go to mars)
Their may be more but everything about him shows him to be an innocent socially awkward guy who wants to fit in.

Whatever he would count as (if he were real) the movie's funny! Watch it if you haven't (Seriously, I feel like I'll fall out of my seat constantly). :lol:

"It wasn't me!"

NoteforNote
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

I fully agree with you 100%! :)

"Your future has not been written yet, your future is what you make of it" - Emmet Brown

" A minor third, is a major sixth in inversion. A major third is a minor sixth in inversion. A perfect fourth is a perfect fifth in inversion yeah" - David Newman

"feelings are not facts" - A therapist