Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 10:55 am

Aimless wrote:
Willard mentioned CPS and I didn't know what he meant but I just started reading The Explosive Child by Ross W. Greene PHD. and saw it meant Collaborative Problem Solving. Here's a quote from the book-

"An explosive outburst-like other forms of maladaptive behavior-occurs when the cognitive demands being placed upon a person outstrip that person's capacity to respond adaptively."

Sounds a lot like how people here describe meltdowns.
I just started it- I don't know where it will go from here-A woman I know through work said the book really helped her with her son.

For us, this book was invaluable. I hope it helps.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 3:48 pm

I'm glad to hear that. Someone else I know who's 19 year old son was diagnosed with this that and the other in his earlier childhood said it helped them too. I want my son off Remeron which has added 40 lbs in about 6-7 months and hasn't helped all that much anyway.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2009, 2:45 am

I have a son with rages too, and he has done some damage to furniture when he loses it. I am worried too, and he stays angry at me after the explosion is over. He is 13 but very big. He is taller than me and 50 pounds heavier. I guess I am afraid of him sometimes. He has a younger sister and we have 4 cats so I would not ever want his rages to get so out of control that innocent lives were in danger. I have no answers for you. I haven't been able to find anything that works. I have Aspergers too but never had rages as a kid and don't have them now. I just don't get it. Is this really Aspergers? I have known some families with bipolar teens who act this way.

Mumto2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2009, 3:54 am

Aimless wrote:
Something happened today with my 11 year old Aspie son that is a fairly predictable pattern for him. He was playing with a large heavy rolling pin and dropped it accidentally on his toe. Of course he shrieked in pain but then he gets really really angry at the rolling pin and starts looking around for something to destroy. Whenever he stubs his toe-it's the floor's fault. If the computer's slow-it's because it hates him. I can deal with that kind of silliness but when he wants to wreck something I gotta step in and this just makes him madder. Any suggestions? Logic doesn't work.

My son is exactly the same! especially if the computer is slow, he goes mad and throws the mouse etc and he thinks the computer has it in for him and is doing it on purpose. Very testing isnt it!