Difference between Wechsler and Raven tests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RemsMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2009, 11:20 am

I got a copy of Remy's report from the doctor and have been googling all morning trying to understand everything in it:-) Gotta love Google!! !
We meet with the doctor on Wednesday and I know he will be able to answer my questions but I am impatient!

Remy scored 105 on the Wechsler IQ test. He scored in the 90th percentile (Superior) on the Raven Colored Matrices test. Are these both IQ tests? Does one mean he is gifted or what?

Thanks for any help you can provide...Laura

Mom to 9 year old with AS

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Aug 2009, 12:01 pm

I took the Wechsler test not long ago. It's an IQ test. I scored high, but the thing is that it's divided into two parts (or mine was anyway). There's the Verbal, in which I was extremely high. And there's the Shapes, at which I was lower than average. This kind of "split" is typical of Asperger's, or so they tell me. It did a lot to help me see why I'm so high-functioning in some things and such a lost cause at others.

I don't know about the Raven test.

Good luck!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 12:17 pm

Thanks for pointing out how the components can score differently. I don't know much about the specific tests, but I do know that with AS the reason these tests are given is more to assess the strong and weak areas, than to see what the overall score is. Definitely ask to see the component scores; it is quite a revelation.

RemsMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2009, 1:15 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have been doing more research into this and my dad sent me a great link about an article. Both of these tests are IQ, but the Wechsler one requires the use of language more than the Raven, which requires visualization.
This would explain why my son did so much better on the Raven one; he also has Expressive Language disorder so...

Thanks again. I am just learning so much every day. It all gives us more help with how to be the best parents to Remy that we can be, and how to provide him with everything he needs!

Laura - Mom to Remy - age 9 - just diagnosed with AS.

Babtor24
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2009, 5:29 pm

Sorry that I am a little late to the party here but I thought, what they hey, so I will throw in my two cents and explain the different tests.

Both are IQ tests but they differ in terms of what they actually test for.

For the Wechsler this is a verbally based test. The Raven Matrices is a test that requires vision, both of which you know already.

However the difference between the two being that someone with a lack of verbal skills would be considered MR based on the Wechsler could be considered gifted with the Raven. In truth the Raven is more geared towards people on the spectrum.

However I think its great that the psychologist gave both tests looking at the different types of intelligence.

minniemum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2009, 12:46 am

My son had the Ravens test just last year and I was in the room with him while he did it.

Far out is all I can say!! By the end of the hour my head was spinning, I had gotten plenty of wrong answers while Shea got nearly all of them right and I was ready to go home for a Nana nap!! !! Whereas he was fine!!

I havent seen the other test. Apparently the Ravens test is the most popular one over here in New Zealand.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 5:00 pm

Yup agree with all that is being said. Seems the Ravens is more accurate for those of us on the spectrum......but here in the UK the Weschler is used more often than not. :D