LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 6:45 am

Never mind about Iran.

In "our" world we can stick tens of thousands of cameras in the streets of London and inside every shop.

So why do bashings, murders and rapes happen in Western prisons?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 1:52 pm

If we have that many agents inside Iranian prisons, why don't we just let all the criminals out and put the Shah back in power?...;) (note- the son...;)

Sometimes their sense of reality can be stranger than my own...;)

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 1:59 pm

Prison rape is considered to be part of the American justice system.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:27 am

pakled wrote:
If we have that many agents inside Iranian prisons, why don't we just let all the criminals out and put the Shah back in power?...;) (note- the son...;)

I think if the clerics are overthrown, Iran would likely become a Western-style democracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
pakled wrote:

I think if the clerics are overthrown, Iran would likely become a Western-style democracy.

Like it did under Shah Palevi?

ruveyn

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:37 am

Tim if you still think Morocco/Western Sahara is in the middle east despite being west of Europe, I would say cram some more before coming up with conclusions.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:48 am

xenon13 wrote:
Prison rape is considered to be part of the American justice system.

It certainly seems to be perceived that way by a lot of people. The whole "oh, you think you're such a bad boy, wait until you meet your new cellmate" line, basically suggesting that rape is an acceptable punishment for some crimes, or that it is fitting as some kind of karmic retribution. :roll:

The scary thing for me is that while Ahmedinejad surely doesn't believe the crêpe he spouts, there's probably going to be a lot of rank-and-file loonies who take it in without question.

The year is still young.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 9:51 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
pakled wrote:

Like it did under Shah Palevi?

ruveyn

Perhaps like Lebanon or Turkey, or Western Europe.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:05 am

Ambivalence wrote:
The whole "oh, you think you're such a bad boy, wait until you meet your new cellmate" line, basically suggesting that rape is an acceptable punishment for some crimes

Well, prison is supposed to have a corrective role. And if people are going to be deterred from committing criminal acts through knowing what they'd be facing in the slammer, so be it. It's not a holiday camp.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:36 pm

That only applies to very young people and small people and those with mental illnesses - little people who are the prey. A big, scary person is not going to be so affected by this "correction". Moreover, prison guards are responsible more often than are other prisoners, in the United States. Besides, it's barbaric in every way. If you want to bring physical unpleasantness into sentencing, then it's much better to sentence people to twenty lashes or something and leave it at that. It's more humane. Still, it's not all right to do that because only savages do that...

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 3:08 pm

I thought there was no rape in Iran?

Or prisons?

Or women?

Or sex of any kind?

Shhhhh.

:roll:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 4:38 pm

Actually, if they ever had 'democracy', it wouldn't be anything like Jefferson's..;) They've been trying to stamp out democracy since it's birth (ancient Greeks), and have been at war with almost anyone who adopted democracy since...

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:51 am

BPalmer wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
The whole "oh, you think you're such a bad boy, wait until you meet your new cellmate" line, basically suggesting that rape is an acceptable punishment for some crimes

Well, prison is supposed to have a corrective role. And if people are going to be deterred from committing criminal acts through knowing what they'd be facing in the slammer, so be it. It's not a holiday camp.

I'm at something of a loss as to how to answer. Are you suggesting that rape is an acceptable tool for a state to use to prevent crime? 8O

The year is still young.