asperger syndrome considered children

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jerry123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 2:29 am

are people with asperger syndrome usually considered as children?

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:46 am

Uh... if they are children, i suppose people would consider them children. People consider me an adult. It seems like people treat me more like a child than they do other people my age(at work it seems like even people my own age treat me a little like a kid), probably because i misunderstand things, get confused, and require extra explanation realllllly often. But i think they acknowledge that i am an adult, just don't always function like a typical one.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 3:37 am

I don't know about usually, but would guess quite often. I am often considered in such a way, addressed in a baby voice, and patronized.

06 Sep 2009, 9:53 am

Is this about the movie Adam?

My ex saw me like a child he acted like I was ret*d. Sometimes I feel people at work are treating me like a child but now it's less often because I don't work as much.

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 11:34 am

re: Adam ...I just saw this on TV

re: Being considered as children...
I've found in my life undiagnosed, that people tend to treat me in a far more adult manner than I can even relate to. They think I don't make necessary phone calls due to laziness, it never occurs to them that picking up the phone to arrange something just doesn't come naturally to me. Or that my mind melts down as soon as I need to express what it is I'm trying to resolve.
We just moved into a new apartment building, and yesterday was my first load of laundry here. The machines here use a smart card rather than change. I've never used one before so it felt completely alien to me. My spouse looked at me kind of weird when I asked him "Do you want to come to the laundry room with me?" I'm sure from his perspective, it's not everyday that someone 33 years of age would need 'help' doing a load of laundry.... BUT like a child, I just needed him to be there to help me figure out HOW to do it. After he came down for the washer, the dryer was no issue at all. Often I need people to walk me through something and show me the steps, so I can put them into my memory files to recall the next time I need them. Basically, it feels like very little 'comes naturally'.

I also cry when things don't go as planned (or I don't get my own way, as others see it).
I get upset having expectations placed on me. I can commit to little, even when it's something I'd 'like' to do. I could play for hours on end (playing for me being searching endlessly online for answers to questions that are irrelevant to much, painting, listening to music, internet games, puzzles etc.)

All of these things could be seen as childish. I relate better to people younger than myself, I think this is because it's the one spot in life where I get to effectively play a leadership role, and feel a sense of worth.

Now where my son is concerned, being 'childish' is one of his biggest challenges. It's not easy to maintain friendships as a 12 year old boy, if you cry about having ham & potatoes for dinner rather than pizza. All children begin life being self absorbed. When you're still self absorbed at 12, or at 33, you are certainly frowned upon. This cause more anxiety, more frustration, and in the end, people assuming they were right, that you really are a childish, self absorbed jerk.

When I watched The Boy Inside, I WISHED I had the mindset of Adam's mother, my son's life would be much better if that were the case.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:24 am

I think it is totally subjective. I am 34, but I am much more of a "girl" than I am a "woman". This certainly does not apply to everyone who is on the spectrum..I just happen to be particularly childish....

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 4:30 am

I feel and function the same as when I was 6. I'm close enough to someone with AS.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:23 pm

My mom has made the bizarre pronouncement that if I act like a child she's going to treat me like a child. My 'acting like a child'? Having an interest in toys, cartoons, etc.