Do you hate other people coming over to your house?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2009, 1:18 am

Unexpected visitors creep me out. This is one reason I like--no, love--cats so much. To be a cat means I could hide under a piece of furniture until the "intruder" is gone.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2009, 1:20 am

persian85033 wrote:
It's not that I don't want to see them. It's that when they're here, it's very disruptive. Can't think of a better term. I can't concentrate on my cartoon/movie/soap opera, whatever, cause there are voices that don't 'belong' here. Then they have the annoying habit to walk into my room MY ROOM unnannounced. Then they touch my things, and everything in the house. My mom likes to loan them my things, the chairs are out of place, they invade one's privacy, the lights are all on, they make noise, they tease you, and overall, it's just very draining.

It breaks one's routine/plans, it's disruptive, it's annoying!

Sometimes I feel like...I'm worn out but like my brain's worn out, not like if I was exercising or something. Any one else have that issue?

Yes I can`t stand that. Even if my only plans were to watch a movie and spend time on the computer it stills bothers me. And my family walking in my room and talking to me/ making noise while i'm doing something is super annoying. I am glad that the only uninvited visits are from my friends. I couldn't stand an aunt walking in and then me having to sit at a table doing nothing and listening to some junk for hours ...(I do have some relatives that I don't mind tho :D)

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:07 am

Willard wrote:
The problem is, it isn't actually YOUR house. You need a place of your own, where you can simply refuse to answer the door when you don't feel up to socializing.

Yes, my stress levels go over the top as well, when people show up unannounced and can't take a hint when it's TIME TO LEAVE. Takes me days of isolation to decompress from that.

The holidays are just as bad. I love my family and relatives, but after an hour of people chattering about inane, irrelevant BS, spouting illogical, ill-informed opinions on subjects they know nothing about and children squealing and running around like savages I'm worn to a frazzle, and all I've been doing is standing in the corner stimming and waiting until I can leave without seeming rude.

Here's another pet peeve: people who phone, and getting the machine or voicemail, simply say "Hey, its me - are you there? Pick up if you're there. Well, call me, I wanted to talk to you" ...ABOUT WHAT!? That's what a message machine is for - LEAVING A MESSAGE! If you want a call back, tell what I'm going to have to talk about so I can be somewhat mentally prepared. I have no desire to just chit-chat. At least not with you (its always the people I least want to have a conversation with who do this chronically). :roll:

Do a Jungle George! :D
(For you who haven't seen it... Do it today! ^^)

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:57 am

Most people I know ahead of time so it's no big deal. While I'm not obsessed with cleaning my room or lets say picking up my soda can I EXPECT YOU THE GUEST to THROW AWAY YOUR OWN SODA CAN! (Don't leave my room a MESS!) I HATE cleaning up after a guest. LOL! :-)

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 9:10 am

YES YES YES YES AND YES!! ! I hate visitors to my home for dear life!! !

Luckily there is almost never somebody who visits. It happens a few times a year that any of our parents come and thats it. Then I try to cope even if it stress me up like hell.
The worst situation you ever can put me in is when strangers is forced to visit my home, like doing some maintenance. This happened this past week. They had to come in to install a new kind of broadband, optical fiber something and they had to enter ALL ROOMS!! :evil: Talking about give me a massive anxiety.... It took me four days to fix the place to normal again and erase all traces of it in a massive cleanup. It took so long time because I took the chance to do some detail cleaning when I was already on the run....

pekkla wrote:
Unexpected visitors creep me out. This is one reason I like--no, love--cats so much. To be a cat means I could hide under a piece of furniture until the "intruder" is gone.

Indeed, our cat is hiding just like that. I do the same as her, I hide myself in the guestappartment or put the guests there instead....

AND the only time I appreciated an unexpected visitor in my life was a couple of months ago. I was on my way out to buy groceries and when opening the front door to our home, then A CAT runs into our appartment.
That was extremely unexpeced and actually very cool! Since then I see that cat in the neighbourhood sometimes and I named it YouTube :D

Last edited by xalepax on 07 Sep 2009, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 9:45 am

pekkla wrote:

And besides, barging in, uninvited, is bad manners.

ruveyn

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 9:55 am

People rarely visit my house, nor do I visit there's but if it's someone i know, I'd like them to tell me first and not do the unexpected pop in. I want to be prepared for guests if that were to happen.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:31 am

Yes.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2009, 10:31 am

It depends who it is. If I think there are alright then I don't mind and if its people I can't be bothred being around or don't know them too well I just stay upstairs.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2009, 10:33 am

My rule is you call first, and with plenty of time for me to prepare. I have relatives that don't believe this. I have been known to not answer the door, or make them wait until I am ready. To them, this is the height of rudeness. There have been a few incidents in the past few years over this, and a few of them have tried to "teach me a lesson" by excluding me from their activities. The funniest thing about that is they don't see that it is a big relief that I don't have to spend time with them, so it isn't much of a "punishment" :lol: .

It really stresses me out to have people in my house even if they do call, and it definitely stresses me out if they are there too long. My mother has had to spend two (separate) weeks at my house this year because she brought my grandmother up for a doctor's appointment, and I just couldn't wait for her to go back home each time. I felt like a number one bad daughter (especially since if it was mom's choice she wouldn't stay a week either) but I don't like people in my house. I have a feeling I have the flu this week because I didn't get a proper vacation (as I took some time off to accommodate relatives visiting, plus a few recovery days, and they just expanded how long they were going to stay based on how many vacation days I took off, :evil: ) - I just traded one stress for another and when I finally had a chance to sit and recover, boom, I became sick.

I think I have only invited two people into my home in the last 4 years. I am always amazed how people manage to move things, break things, complain about things etc. when I would never do those sort of things in their houses. When I go to someone else's house too, I make sure I don't leave lights on or leave a mess behind me, and I expect people to do the same in my house, but as others have noted, it just doesn't happen. :roll: sigh

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:39 am

If it's relatives or people visiting my parents, I just hide in my bedroom. I don't particularly like other people coming over to my house, but if the person is a friend I can tolerate it. It is very tiring, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:41 am

no "unexpected" visitors ever step through my front door.
if i do not know them, then i tell them to go away.
if "friends" turn up unannounced, i will quiz them through my wire door as to why they did not inform me they intended to come here.
if i am not satisfied with their reply, i tell them to go away and ring me another day.
if it is an emergency (which is unlikely) then of course they can come in and i will accommodate their needs.

my "friends" know to contact me in the afternoon before the night they wish to come over. they ring and ask if they can come over and i may say "yes".
but i dictate when they will get here and when they will go.
this makes them feel i am a bit rigid, but none the less... it is my house.

i have great fun playing on the keyboards, and they also like to drink and talk to me and i talk back to them. we have great chats.
they really do have a good time and so do i.
but when i am satisfied that i have had my "fill" of socializing, i show them the door.

i do not mind people coming over once per week for about 4 hours, but anything more than that unsettles me so i prevent it from happening.

by "they". i mean one person at a time. i never let more than one person visit me at any one time.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm

grinningcat wrote:
I have been known to not answer the door, or make them wait until I am ready. To them, this is the height of rudeness.

:D Many years ago, this guy decided he was going to be my friend (I don't know why, I did not encourage this in any way). Since I really don't like to be rude if I can help it, he just intruded into my life and began dropping by unexpectedly every day, staying and staying and staying...

Finally, I hung a "Sorry, We're Closed" sign in the window of my front door and refused to answer it. He showed up and banged on the door for over half an hour, since my car was in the drive, but I never answered. Eventually he went away, and it didn't stop him coming back again, but he cut down his visits noticeably and stopped dropping by unannounced (he had to call first after that, to make sure I was willing to answer the door). :twisted:

I won't answer the door ever for someone I don't recognize, unless they're wearing a Fedex or UPS uniform and I'm expecting a delivery.

07 Sep 2009, 1:12 pm

I don't get people coming over. What I hate are door to door mormons. I love having my nephews and nieces coming over but last night one of them coming in was upsetting because I had something on I didn't want the kid to see so I used my nightie to cover it. Luckily he didn't see it because my husband didn't he said so therefore neither did the kid.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 3:17 pm

I don't usually like visitors coming over. I usually have to hide upstairs so there is less chance that I will have to talk to the visitor.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Murasame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2009, 3:56 pm

I hate unexpected visitors! My extended family are all based hundreds of miles away, so I don't have to worry about relatives showing up unannounced, and I vary rarely have 'friends' over. The people that turn up randomly here are always my sister's mates, who I do not know and have no interest in getting to know.

As me and my parents are at work during the day, over the summer our house seems to be the location of choice for anyone wishing to escape their own parents. I hate coming home to find that I have to stay out of sight because the house has been taken over. Her friends are not even particularly loud, or rude, nor do they leave the house in that much of a state, they're just...there, occupying space, preventing me from doing the things I had planned to do when I got home. Thankfully she'll be leaving to go back to university next week, which should result in a return to blissful normality.